What's new

what do you say when...

You tell someone that you wet shave and they say "what a waste of water or that is the least ecologically friendly way to cut hair off your face"?

I find this really judgemental and just wanted to see what you all thought about it. Thanks.

-CAP

Last edited:
I use a half a sink full of hot water, I figure that's about the same as one flush of the throne. And I can go in the woods if I feel I need to skip a flush. YMMV. And how much plastic are you keeping out of the landfill buy not using carts?

Never heard that.

I've heard "Wow, old school?"
The occasional "Why?"

But never any preaching.

Honestly, it's not that different from shaving with a cart. After a couple of years now, I'm nearly as quick with a straight as I am with the Fusion.

I apologize for the subject of this post guys...I don't know what happened. I meant for it to say "what do you say when"...mods can fix it I guess.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Never heard it. Guess not everyone gets it but that's their loss. Did they tell you how they shave ?

"what a waste of water".... what do they shave dry with a electric shaver and never wash their face ?
"that is the least economically friendly"..... really ? Not much waste from my shave, no multi blade carts going in the rubbish.
How long does the plastic in a used cart take to breakdown in the landfill ?

Their comments are based on lack of knowledge and would say they could just be winding you up. Pay them no heed.

Waste of water? Ha. It gets treated and discharged back where it came from...and as for economically friendly, plastic takes a 100+ years to degrade and is made of chemicals. A metal blade breaks down into elemental iron in just a few.

A lot of gall nitpicking for someone who pays $25 for 4 cartridges.

Last edited:
Never heard it. Guess not everyone gets it but that's their loss. Did they tell you how they shave ?

"what a waste of water".... what do they shave dry with a electric shaver and never wash their face ?
"that is the least economically friendly"..... really ? Not much waste from my shave, no multi blade carts going in the rubbish.
How long does the plastic in a used cart take to breakdown in the landfill ?

Their comments are based on lack of knowledge and would say they could just be winding you up. Pay them no heed.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't bring up the plastic in the landfill aspect but I am sure they would have no response for that. Thank you. They shave with a Gillette fusion and canned goo. It turned into a big argument for me and this other guy. It wasn't on here.

Last edited:
Waste of water? Ha. It gets treated and discharged back where it came from...and as for economically friendly, plastic takes a 100+ years to degrade and is made of chemicals. A metal blade breaks down into elemental iron in just a few.

A lot of gall nitpicking for someone who pays $25 for 4 cartridges.

Ha that made me laugh. I honestly think he said it out of jealousy after seeing my setup.

I don't fill my sink, nor do I leave my water running while shaving. I use a little to wet the face and lather, and a little more to rinse the razor. As my DEs and SE do not clog like my carts did, I probably use less water now.

I don't fill my sink, nor do I leave my water running while shaving. I use a little to wet the face and lather, and a little more to rinse the razor. As my DEs and SE do not clog like my carts did, I probably use less water now.

That is a great way to think about it. I remember when I used a fusion, it would clog up and I would have to frequently rinse in order to clear it out. Don't worry, I am gathering knowledge for the next personal attack on our beloved hobby. Thank you, sir.

He clearly has no idea what wet shaving really is. There is no reason to use any more water than with traditional cartridge shaving and canned goo....

I put enough water in the sink to swish my razor. I like to shave in silence, and hear the whiskers cut.

I see it as keeping a lot of crap out of the landfills. I would like to know just how many TONS of plastic is dumped in the form of cartridges alone. that's not to mention the packaging. And what of the aerosol goop cans? Also, many people on here are rescuing razors that are decades old. Where would they be if guys weren't shaving with them?

I see it as keeping a lot of crap out of the landfills. I would like to know just how many TONS of plastic is dumped in the form of cartridges alone. that's not to mention the packaging. And what of the aerosol goop cans? Also, many people on here are rescuing razors that are decades old. Where would they be if guys weren't shaving with them?

Exactly.

Well spoken, sir. I also think that the chemicals in the canned goo are harsh on just about everything. Hands down, wet shaving produces less waste, IMHO.

Guessing you mean ecological? There are 2billion disposable razors (cartridges, and disposables) going into landfills each year in the United States. Nuff said.

Guessing you mean ecological? There are 2billion disposable razors (cartridges, and disposables) going into landfills each year in the United States. Nuff said.

Yes sir, that's what I meant...I fixed that in my post. Wow that's a lot of waste from the "innovative, ergonomic" way to shave.

The water bit makes no sense to me. I don't leave the water running no matter which way I shave/shaved.
Sounds like someone is trying to convince themselves with those arguments...

Top Bottom