What's new

My thoughts in Proraso eucalyptus n menthol

If I could do it all over again, go back to when i first started wet shaving...
i would have never bought my 5 differnt tubs of taylor of old bond st.... And maybe not have sold off my super speed collection when strapped for cash.

Like anything in life, YMMV...
So I've been wanting to try proraso green for a while, but was a little hesitant... Dont know why, maybe the packaging or the fact that it was some what cheaper, there for inferior to some other products. I started out with mr taylor. I loved the scent and was happy at the time with its proformance. I'm a soap guy by nature, so most of my time is dedicated to that. I've used my Taylor's cream a good bit, but not to many days in a row. I used TOB last month and was not happy at all. When I would lather up for the 2nd & 3rd pass, my skin was really aggravated with the cream (just sitting on my face before the 2-3rd pass). It has gotten to the point where i dont look forward to using it. TOB is vary thick... Great cushion but not the glide i prefer or accustom to my soap.

one day while at my barber, I gave him some of my faviorit soap (we trade tips & review products to one another). During the hair cut i mentioned i like to try proraso green the next time i needed cream, and he was kind enough to give me a half tube of c.o. Bigelow, which is made by proraso. The exact same cream from what i can find... He makes his living with proraso, and uses their creams and preshave.

I've used it for over 2 weeks straight now... And got the preshave and aftershave splash in the mail this afternoon.
i also went to the mall and got another tube of c.o. from bath and body works.

I'm a huge fan of the smell. I find myself leavening the tube out and sniffing it when passing by the washroom. I look forward to smelling it and have the wake up call of the menthol in the mornings... Better than a alarm clock and coffee.
I get a nice foam lather that doesn't aggravate my face at all... No matter the amount of passes. It has cushion and slippery enough for my straights. Proraso creams will be the bar that i measure all other creams to from now on.

The tubs of Taylor's will be gifted to friends and relatives.

Last edited:
You raise some interesting point. mostly having to do with price = value usually you do get what you pay for but sometimes you can get quality and value at a fair price. I have been using double edge razors for many years and at about 10 bucks a tube or tub Proraso is a fine product and my go to cream most days.

I concur completely. While I really like DR Harris, Shaving Yeti, and other fancy stuff; I love how effortless and smooth proraso products are. Whether it's a tube or tub - great stuff.

Proraso's a world class product, IMHO. I'd put it against anything Brit. Since you're a soap guy, try the Proraso tubs. Also, try the white.

Thanks guys!
im gonna get a tub soon. I have a small artistsin soap maker im loyal to and have some cella i use, which my barber gave me.
Would you say the little thicker consistency of the tub change the performance from a tube? I've heard the tubs called a croap. No quite a soap- not quite a cream.
im sure i can find the answer in the fourm here, but I have no problems wippin' a dead horse!

Last edited:
I'm a huge Proraso soap and cream fan, and White is my go-to, daily soap. However, TOBS is also a great cream and I usually have a tub or two of lavender or almond.

@HisDukeNess: Proraso soap is indeed a "croap," or soap Italian soap. It is definitely harder than a cream, but is quite malleable with more airy consistency. It is much softer than a hard soap like a puck of DR Harris, MWF or Tabac.

Although I generally prefer soaps, I do not find any appreciable difference in performance between the Proraso soaps and creams.

I find Proraso Green and white are both great products. great leather and smooth cushions to work with. Haven't tired the red yet, but have tried the Cella and thats great too.

Variety is great and availability gives us all a great choice to try them all.

I've got about 15 soaps and creams. Proraso is definitely in my top 3...despite the fact that it's one of the least expensive options out there.

Great that you enjoy Proraso Green!

But imho your barber should be careful in using Proraso. I personally would not thank him, since my skin reacts badly to eucalyptus. I would guess that a barber should use a bit more neutral soap.

Proraso Green definitely is not for everyone, and once the barber applied the lather on your face, it is too late to find out that a customer is allergic to eucalyptus or menthol.

I bought a tub of Proraso green, but I probably got through 20% of it before I got the knack of it, now I just find it works every time.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
These guys also agree with you all. :wink2:

$proraso.jpg

Great that you enjoy Proraso Green!

But imho your barber should be careful in using Proraso. I personally would not thank him, since my skin reacts badly to eucalyptus. I would guess that a barber should use a bit more neutral soap.

Proraso Green definitely is not for everyone, and once the barber applied the lather on your face, it is too late to find out that a customer is allergic to eucalyptus or menthol.

He also has a hot lather machine... You can choose between proraso (red, white, green, blue) or the machine.
he also offers cella if you wanna go the soap route.
... But i always see the proraso products out.
I haven't had a shave from him yet... The fact that I have everything waiting for me when I get home. One of these days i will see his approach of shaving.
Btw not trying to knock TOB. I'm just over it now that I found a line that works for me.
The price point is just a plus!

Last edited:
He also has a hot lather machine... You can choose between proraso (red, white, green, blue) or the machine.
he also offers cella if you wanna go the soap route.
The thing is that you might not know that you are allergic before he spreads the lather on your face.

Which is why I think barbers should best stick to neutral soaps. Still not fool proof, but safer than a strong soap like Proraso Green.

The thing is that you might not know that you are allergic before he spreads the lather on your face.

Which is why I think barbers should best stick to neutral soaps. Still not fool proof, but safer than a strong soap like Proraso Green.

Even the artisan hand made triple milled soap i use isn't natural. Its soap... Some soaps are less harsh then others.

i will give my barber the warning you guys have raised,
but he hasn't killed anyone yet in his 10+ years of being a barber... I'm sure his clients are in good hands

Last edited:
Top Bottom