What's new

My thoughts in Proraso eucalyptus n menthol

Pretty sure that if you're allergic to something, it's your job to watch out for it and let others know when it may cause a problem. I'm deadly allergic to bees. I wouldn't go to a beekeeper's house and expect them to have gotten rid of the bees in case someone allergic to bees, or who may possibly be allergic to bees but doesn't know yet comes by. Just saying.

I tried Proraso Green (Menthol and Eucalyptus) for the first time with yesterday's (4-22-14) shave, and loved it!! I got a very slick creamy lather after soaking my brush in very hot water. My three razors glided over my face with only one tiny weeper using Astra SP blades.

My wife liked the smell and insisted I take it along for our upcoming Scandinavian cruise. Better listen to the wife--she has put up with for 36 of the 37 years we have been married--Uncle Sam had to put up with me in Iraq for the other year.

I am hooked on the stuff and I cannot see myself using anything else! It feels great, the razor glides without any effort. I wish it was sold in stores by me along side products that others "consider" to be shaving creams and soaps. There is nothing like splashing on some cold H2O after using it. Feels great. The folks at Proraso should advertise considering that Cremo is having a push on talk radio.

I tried Proraso Green (Menthol and Eucalyptus) for the first time with yesterday's (4-22-14) shave, and loved it!! I got a very slick creamy lather after soaking my brush in very hot water. My three razors glided over my face with only one tiny weeper using Astra SP blades.

My wife liked the smell and insisted I take it along for our upcoming Scandinavian cruise. Better listen to the wife--she has put up with for 36 of the 37 years we have been married--Uncle Sam had to put up with me in Iraq for the other year.

Thanks for your service to our country!

Pretty sure that if you're allergic to something, it's your job to watch out for it and let others know when it may cause a problem. I'm deadly allergic to bees. I wouldn't go to a beekeeper's house and expect them to have gotten rid of the bees in case someone allergic to bees, or who may possibly be allergic to bees but doesn't know yet comes by. Just saying.

But you would expect bees in a beehive.

Would you expect eucalyptus (or another harsh substance) in soap?

Proraso Green is a product that I absolutely hate. It gives me a bad rash and makes my skin feel horrible for days. My dad says that it's his favorite cream, but I can't stand it.

I think Palmolive Menthol, Ingram, Lea Menthol, and Gada Cool Mint are all better. They are colder, have better performance, and better skincare.

Proraso Green is a product that I absolutely hate. It gives me a bad rash and makes my skin feel horrible for days. My dad says that it's his favorite cream, but I can't stand it.

I think Palmolive Menthol, Ingram, Lea Menthol, and Gada Cool Mint are all better. They are colder, have better performance, and better skincare.

It appears that you are allergic or very sensitive to the Proraso Green. Under those circumstances, you really cannot fairly evaluate the efficacy or performance of the cream. I have a similar situation with Mitchell's Wool Fat. It burns me terribly. Therefore, I would never advise that it was a bad (or good) soap except to state that some may have a reaction.

You may wish to try the Proraso Red or Blue creams. They are both more mild and moisturizing than the Green, and the Blue barely has any menthol, while the Red has absolutely none. Neither contains eucalyptus which is probably the ingredient that you find irritating.

Even the artisan hand made triple milled soap i use isn't natural. Its soap... Some soaps are less harsh then others.

i will give my barber the warning you guys have raised,
but he hasn't killed anyone yet in his 10+ years of being a barber... I'm sure his clients are in good hands

But you would expect bees in a beehive.

Would you expect eucalyptus (or another harsh substance) in soap?

Like iv said in one or two different posts now, he carries the proraso line, and has a hot lather machine (dosnt use proraso), and cella.
if he lathered up green for everyone i would agree with you...
but... if he gives you a choice, and goes over the line with you "i have a sandalwood, green tea, eucalyptus, aloe, a hot lather machine, or soap" and you pick something your allergic to then thats your problem.

Anyways im sure there are more people that have problems with almond oils then eucalyptus oils...Ask the kid i went to school with, that sat by himself at his own table in his own blocked off section of the lunch room (horrible allergies to nuts).

Like i said it isn't my barbers first rodeo, But i do appreciate the concern.

YMMV an i understand that this is just my opinion...
i also have no problems with people posting their thoughts ON the cream. Good or bad.

Last edited:
It appears that you are allergic or very sensitive to the Proraso Green. Under those circumstances, you really cannot fairly evaluate the efficacy or performance of the cream. I have a similar situation with Mitchell's Wool Fat. It burns me terribly. Therefore, I would never advise that it was a bad (or good) soap except to state that some may have a reaction.

You may wish to try the Proraso Red or Blue creams. They are both more mild and moisturizing than the Green, and the Blue barely has any menthol, while the Red has absolutely none. Neither contains eucalyptus which is probably the ingredient that you find irritating.

That's a good point. I should have been more specific. The rash didn't show up until a few hours after the shave. I kept the same setup, just in case I had to rule out something else. I had a much better shave when I replaced the Proraso Green with another cream.

I bought my dad a tube of Proraso Red for Christmas. He let me try it out and I had really good results. I have a sample of the Blue that I haven't gotten around to yet.

This went from "Proraso is great," which it is, to "Sweeney Todd." One can't help but wonder, ***? Individuals are responsible for their own allergies and know to ask the contents of a product before its use. Also, people with severe allergies are less likely to take advantage of this type of service.

Just received my first tube of Proraso Green. I already have a tub of the red, which I love, and can't wait to try the green.

OK, if the barber offers alternatives, and explains the ingredients, then it should be fine, I think.

I must admit that I was surprised by the fierce reaction of my skin to Proraso Green. Shame, since it has a great scent. But I cannot use it.

OK, if the barber offers alternatives, and explains the ingredients, then it should be fine, I think.

Slapping my forehead before typing this post?
So do you think a barber has to sit there and read down the list of every ingredient on every thing he uses?
At what point does the responsibility lye on the costumer to find out whats is in a product the barber offers, when the specific client is the one allergic to specific ingredients?

Remember that kid i told you about... The one allergic to nuts in the lunch room? Pretend we didn't know he had allergies!

This kid came up to me in the lunch room cause he saw me eating a box of chocolates (assorted flavors). I offer him a piece and he grabs one and eats it. Few mins later he drops to the ground cause he grabbed a piece with peanut butter in it... I didnt know he was allergic to peanut butter... How could i?
who's fault is it?
His (who has known hes allergic to something) or me (the person who just offers him something?)

The way i see it, and the last im gonna comment on it...
If you don't know your allergic to something, then you cant expect someone else to know. If you know your allergic to something, YOU STILL SHOULDN'T EXPECT someone else to know.

now if we where talking about a doctor, who was injecting penicillin or something else into his patients without asking.. "Any allergies?" Id agree 100%

Last edited:
Hmm, I think we have to agree to disagree ;-)

Of course a barber does not have to list all ingredients. But he should mention known allergens like eucalyptus oil, almond oil, or lanolin. Of course it's the responsibility of the customers to know what allergies they have. But I would expect the barber to know a "top ten list" of the allergens in soaps, lotions, aerosols, and so on.

I finished my sampler size tub of Green and tried the White this morning. Also a fantastic cream, but without the HOLY MOLY! mentholyptus instant deep freeze of the Green. This who don't like or can't use the Green ought to give the White a test drive. BTW, Maggard Razors sells some nice samplers of Proraso and some other higher end shaving software.

Top Bottom