What's new

Slim Adjustable on the way. Blade suggestions for newbie to DE.

Hi:

I just bought a Gillette Slim Adjustable from another B&Ber. I have been using a Schick Golden 500 injector for the last while and want to start using a DE.

I'm looking to try out some DE blades, and have read a lot of posts here (and am suitably impressed and confused). I am considering Astra SP and Personna Lab Blues for my first round and plan to order in small quantities for the first round - sort of like putting together my own sampler of 4-5 blades (at this point, I plan to avoid Feathers and some of the other blades that come in most of the samplers I have seen until I can work out the bugs in my beginners technique). I also have a very sensitive lower neck and am looking for blades that are less likely to irritate it.

So... suggestions please.

Thanks all.

The Astra SP is a good blade although I've only recently come to that conclusion. Personally I like the Gillette Silver Blue and the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. Sorry, I havent tried the Personna Lab Blues but I also like the Personna Reds. You might check out Maggard Razors, they will allow you to build your own sampler which is really nice. My first sample pack came from Amazon and I ended up with a number of blades I didn't care for.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

Enjoy that Slim, great shaver.

A sampler pack is a good idea...but there is so many different sampler packs :))
Find one (or order a pack of 5 blades), with Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Israeli Red Personna, or Personna Lab Blues.
Those are my choices for a sharp and smooth blade. YMMV....

The Astra SP is a good blade although I've only recently come to that conclusion. Personally I like the Gillette Silver Blue and the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. Sorry, I havent tried the Personna Lab Blues but I also like the Personna Reds. You might check out Maggard Razors, they will allow you to build your own sampler which is really nice. My first sample pack came from Amazon and I ended up with a number of blades I didn't care for.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

Enjoy that Slim, great shaver.

Now that's what I was looking for. Thanks @whittjt3. Now to fill up a 5 (or 7) pack sampler with suggestions. I just took a look and, unfortunately, no Personna Labs, but lots of other choices. Here's what they offer:

7AM Plus Hi Platinum
Astra Stainless
Astra Superior Premium Platinum
Big Ben Super Stainless
Crystal
Derby Extra
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Feather New Hi Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Thin
Lord Platinum
Lord Super Stainless
Red Pack Personna Platinum
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Super Stainless
Kai
Super-Max Titanium
Treet Classic
Treet Platinum Stainless
Pol Silver
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Wilkinson Classic
Perma Sharp

Have at it, gentlemen!

Last edited:
Polsilver SIs rock in the Gillette adjustables. GSBs and Astras are a bit more forgiving, but not as close. Labs are good too, but my first shave with them is always a bit rough. Smooths out after first shave. If I had to pick one I'd pick the Polsilvers but variety is the spice of life.

I got a Slim recently and I really like Astra Sp with it. One thing about an adjustable is that you might find different blades work better for different levels.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I now have my first 2 selections - Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue. I'm leaning toward Personna Red and Polsilver SI as 2 other choices, just based on what I've read here and in other posts (and am willing to be talked out of them).

I'd like to put my order in on 4/24, so more input is appreciated.

If anyone has been wanting to try any of the blades listed (they are either 5-packs or 10-packs, depending on the blade) and would be willing to trade an equivalent quantity of Personna Blue Labs, let me know and I'll order them as one of my options and we can trade.

Here's what I'm planning to order today:

Astra Superior Premium Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Personna Red Israeli
Polsolver Super Iridium (or Perma Sharp)

Will probably use the Great Blade Exchange to trade for Personna Lab Blue and Medical Prep and Voskhod Teflon.

Now for the inevitable wait...

Unfortunately, unless you try a vast array of blades, you most likely won't find out which ones work with your face, lather and razors. I have basically settled on Astra SP and Voskhod. Have also had some great shaves with Shark blades but never bought a large amount of them.

In my experience, Racer blades have probably been the worst, FWIW.

Unfortunately, unless you try a vast array of blades, you most likely won't find out which ones work with your face, lather and razors. I have basically settled on Astra SP and Voskhod. Have also had some great shaves with Shark blades but never bought a large amount of them...
+1. Also Blue Labs.

Pick up a couple 5/10 packs. Try them out. You really can't go wrong if you pick from a smattering of blades that people have favorable comments online.
IMHO: Feather is nothing to fear. I fear a dull blade more than a sharp one.

My advice: when you start a pack, use a couple blades from that pack and try to stick with each blade until it's uncomfortable. It'll give you both experience and help you identify the transition of blade life. Don't jump from one blade to another. Despite how much you really want to try a new blade: there are at least 365 shaving days a year and there's ample opportunity to try that next blade.

Thanks all. I now have my starting point of 5 different blades to evaluate (I ended up buying the Polsilvers and not the Perma Sharps).

I started out today with an Astra SP in my new-to-me Slim Adjustable on a setting of 3. Two passes (WTG and XTG) with Mike's Natural Soap (I use that most of the time, Body Shop maca root sometimes) face lathered with my badger brush (made by a B&Ber). Pretty good shave for brand new hardware (not BBS, but I certainly didn't expect that), as close as the Schick injector I've been using, with no nicks or weepers and less irritation on my neck. I'll stay with the Astra for 2-3 blades before trying the next one, and follow that pattern as I work on my technique.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a Slim Adj. in a flea market in mint condition in the box and got it for a song. I sterilized it and used it side by side with a Red Tip I got as well. I interchanged the same Derby blade between the two doing half my face with one razor & the other half with the other. IMO, the Slim Adj. (set on 5) is a far more user friendly DE razor than the Red Tip. Excellent shave. Just remember to set the blade adjustment with the silo doors open and then close. FWIW, the Derby blade had been used once prior by me in another razor.

Top Bottom