What's new

Fountain pen fan? ???

So I am quite new when it comes to fountain pens. I have an old Schaeffer pen that uses the cartridges. I didn't have any other way to do it so I used a syringe to refill the cart. The issue I have run into is the cartridge keeps slipping off that spindle. What are my options? I have only tried black ink. Thanks

Depending on the model there are converters available and then you can get samples of ink (Goulet Pens has an ink sample program). I got one from Peyton Street Pens (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Standard cartridges are available, it sounds like yours is a little worn out. Welcome to the Nib!

I believe that any of the Sheaffer cartridge models would take these cartridges. They come in other ink colors as well. Available various places online, but I have seen them at my local Staples, too. Any Staples store should order them for you if they don't have them in stock.

This model cartridge converter works with all the Sheaffer pens I have, but I can't guarantee that it would fit every model out there. If it does fit your pen, it lets you fill from a bottle directly. Again, available various places online. The link is to show the model, not to endorse a seller.

Last edited:
As stated above, your cartridge is worn out. They can be refilled with a syringe, but after a while, they do get that way and have to be replaced with a new cartridge.

I have found cartridges for my old Sheaffer school pens at a number of retail outlets around here. They are pretty common. You can get a package of 5 all with black ink or another package of 5 with various colors (red, green, purple, . . .). I refill mine with Noodler's.

Any idea how much the refills are? Trying to convince swmbo that I need to spend the qwan is another thing.

Any idea how much the refills are? Trying to convince swmbo that I need to spend the qwan is another thing.

Cartridges aren't that much but a ~$10 converter and another ~$10 for a bottle of ink and you would be good for a long time.

Depending on the model (sorry if I missed it as I scanned the thread), several older Sheaffers can also be converted to eyedropper use (such as the school pen or no nonsense). I personally prefer this route and haven't had any trouble with it.

You can check the well known auction site for the "old" Sheaffers aerometric (squeeze) converter for your pen. My two came with the converters so I'm set. That plus a bottle of ink and you're good to go for a while. Just make sure you know what color you'll be happy with or else you'll fall down the bottle ink rabbit hole.

Top Bottom