What's new

Where the grain changes

I have been wetshaving for almost five years, and usually get good, BBS shaves. But I have always struggled with an area under my chin where my hair grain's direction changes. This stripe is about one inch long and half an inche wide, and it is a continental divide of sorts. To its left, the hair grows in one direction (left to right), and to its right it grows in another direction (right to left). I have a coarse beard and yet can easily shave on either side of the "continental divide." But in the "continental divide" area proper (where the hair grows in almost every direction), I always have trouble. I usually need several passes to make it BBS, which can lead to some irritation, or I cannot shave as close as I wish. Does anyone have words of wisdom on what to do here?

I so feel your pain. Same patch. Right side, under chin.

Thinnest skin on my face + worst growth pattern known to man = recipe for irritation.

I'll be watching this thread with anticipation :mellow:

Blade buffing. I have a row or two of hair that grows laterally right below my chin and blade buffing takes care of that. Works every time.

Blade buffing. I have a row or two of hair that grows laterally right below my chin and blade buffing takes care of that. Works every time.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what is blade buffing? I'm having the same problem and would love to try this method.

Watch Mantic59's YouTube video titled Advanced Shaving Techniques. It also demonstrates J-hooking, which might also help. Just be advised that you should be extra careful with these techniques.

As mentioned above you should watch that video . Blade buffing, J hooking or the slide might be the answer for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had/have same issue. J-hooking proved very helpful. But make very very very very sure that the head of your razor is tightened down well. J-hooking with a loose razor head is a recipe for a bloodbath. I learned the hard way. Was using a Feather and didn't notice until the second J-hook that the head had loosened and the blade was slicing my neck up. Lesson learned...

I have some east-west growth on my neck. That area is very difficult to hit with a true ATG pass.

Still, I find that I attack that area pretty aggressively. My first pass is a diagonal, halfway between WTG and XTG. Second pass is diagonal, halfway between XTG and ATG. The third pass, is a mix of J-hook and diagonal blade buffing. True BBS in that area is difficult but this method gives me a reliable DFS with 2-3 BBS/week without ever giving me irritation. I don't stress over BBS. Just enjoy it when the stars align and it happens.

Watch Mantic59's YouTube video titled Advanced Shaving Techniques. It also demonstrates J-hooking, which might also help. Just be advised that you should be extra careful with these techniques.

+1 on the Advanced Shaving Techniques vid. When I first came across that title my thought was "yeah, right, what could be advanced about shaving, after all, I've been shaving (not with a DE though) for decades." Well, to make it short, Mantic showed me. Good vid!

With all the WTG-XTG-ATG passes, I sometimes still don't have a BBS in two areas. What I do then is to wet the face without later and buff lightly in any and all directions until I cut down the final stubble. I do this with a very light touch and keep re-checking and re-wetting until I've gotten it. Somehow, water works better than lather in that situation. Slow and patient!

With all the WTG-XTG-ATG passes, I sometimes still don't have a BBS in two areas. What I do then is to wet the face without later and buff lightly in any and all directions until I cut down the final stubble. I do this with a very light touch and keep re-checking and re-wetting until I've gotten it. Somehow, water works better than lather in that situation. Slow and patient!

I do this too, but you need a soap or cream that leaves a residual slickness; not all do. I usually buff very lightly back and forth without lifting the blade. The small amount of lather left on the blade seems to provide all the lube I need.

+1 for buffing. I have a small circular growth pattern on my neck, and usually use small x patterns to clean that up.

J hooking is what i use on my neck. Above the jaw line my hair is mostly growing in a downward direction (with the exception of an area on my right sideburn. But my neck is like a prison where the inmates have taken over. Hairs grow in all directions and it makes shaving less than easy.

I do a WTG, ATG and XTG to make sure all bases are covered and keep special attention to exceptional problem areas. That and a combination of j-hooking can usually take care of said problems. Also, R41 tames all wild hairs.

Yep, J hooking here too. I have a place on the left side of my neck that only gets smooth with the J hook.

I can't seem to get the j-hooking to work but blade buffing can be done with DEs and SEs. And it really helps. My cleanup pass is largely blade buffing.

Gonna have to try this as I have the same problem. I also have about 5-10 whiskers right on top of my adam's apple that I can never seem to get totally smooth.

Thanks for all the good advice. For some strange reason, J hooking, which works very well in other parts of my face, does not help much in the continental divide area. But blade buffing does. I had read about it but not tried it until this thread!

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but what razor(s) are you using? I find that a milder razor doesn't do well for the "transition" areas of my face where hair seems to grow in swirls, but a more aggressive razor tends to take it down without issue.

Top Bottom