What's new

The Shave That Brought Back Memeories

A few days ago, I had an early appointment in another city. I decided to skip my morning shower and only wash my face before shaving. I was "rewarded" with a shave that brought back memories from nearly 40 years ago. Using my '53 Super Speed and a new Crystal blade, my first pass, which is with the grain, wasn't bad (My beard lays nearly flat, so WTG doesn't do a whole lot anyway.). On subsequent passes, the razor would drag to the point of giving the feeling it was pulling the hairs. I was reminded of my days in boot camp nearly 40 years ago. We all showered at night and hurriedly shaved in the morning before breakfast. At least now I had the sense not to force a close shave and really bear down. Had I chosen the world's dullest blade for that shave? No! I shaved using the same setup yesterday. This time, I took a long hot shower and even went so far as using shampoo and conditioner on my beard. This time I really was rewarded. I received my usual comfortable shave. I may have Grandfather Pouglitsch's coarse beard, but softening it makes all the difference in the world.

I beg all the newbies out there who are complaining of razors dragging and skipping, please be sure you are adequately prepping your beard! Read Kyle's sticky on beard prep. Find a prep that works for you. I know some folks don't need much beard prep, but some of us do, no matter what type of razor we're using.

-Clarke

Great post! Kyles prep is one of my favourite weekend indulgences these days

I would rather use a dull butter knife and Kyle's prep, or a broken edge of a rusty soup can with Kyle's prep-- than to use the finest blade and razor without this prep! I'm THAT serious about it!!!

Absolute Nirvana when you incorporate a really nice soap, plenty of hot water, Kyle's prep, some good music, 30-40 minutes of absolute privacy and a nice razor and blade combo. It simply CAN'T be beat!! Welcome! Thanks for the good words...

...and as a Navy Bootcamp vet-- we were handed "Double edge" razors, which were Trac II's...and I remember the "Three minutes to Sh*t, Shower, Shave and FALL OUT!"

...and as a Navy Bootcamp vet-- we were handed "Double edge" razors, which were Trac II's...and I remember the "Three minutes to Sh*t, Shower, Shave and FALL OUT!"
In '68 we weren't issued razors at Great Lakes. We had to bring a blade razor and canned foam from home. There was a mixture of DE, Techmatics, Schick Autoband, and injectors. Prior to that, all I'd used was an electric. I had no clue what I was doing!

-Clarke

In '68 we weren't issued razors at Great Lakes. We had to bring a blade razor and canned foam from home. There was a mixture of DE, Techmatics, Schick Autoband, and injectors. Prior to that, all I'd used was an electric. I had no clue what I was doing!

-Clarke

Clarke, all I can say is..."DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY!...Now fall out on the Grinder, and we're heading over to Drill Hall 1200 for Review Practice and Hose drills."

(I live near Great Lakes...the old haunts are just about gone, as are the "houses." It's all high-tech and new--- drill halls with the wooden roofs are gone, and it looks clean and sterile. You wouldn't recognize it!)

Fair winds and following seas!

I beg all the newbies out there who are complaining of razors dragging and skipping, please be sure you are adequately prepping your beard! Read Kyle's sticky on beard prep. Find a prep that works for you. I know some folks don't need much beard prep, but some of us do, no matter what type of razor we're using.

-Clarke

The gospel!

Marty

At Basic Training 10 years ago they gave us a Bic disposable to carry around in our pockets, and anyone found not satisfactorily shaven got to dry shave on the spot after a couple dozen push-ups. Back then I could get away with shaving ATG after I showered at night, so as to avoid the cold-face, hard-beard shave at 0400.

Top Bottom