What's new

Can I use my Simpson everyday?

I have a Simpson Duke 3 that I have used more or less 6 days a week for the last 6 months. I have noticed that it is always damp toward the center of the knot. I store it on the open counter on a rack upside down and shake it out well after each use. It has started to shed a few hairs everyday, which has me a little worried as I like the brush. So my questions would be: would getting another brush and rotating help extend it's life? Is this shedding normal? Can one brush be used everyday? Your knowledgeable input would be appreciated.

I shake my brushes and also squeeze the knot in a towel. I then brush it across the towel gently. They are dry in the morning.

My first question is if you have washed your brush yet? This would help.bring life back to your brush and remove old soap residue IMO. As for daily use I have in the past used a Classic 2 seven days a week for months. No problems. It is always fun to try other brushes and create a rotation over time. I start looking at six months and now years later maintain a three brush rotation with a couple retired. Hope this helps.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
You can absolutely use it everyday. I recently bought a Simpson Tulip 1 and have plans to do so myself. The Wringing and shaking and gentle towel procedure mentioned above helps. Stand it on its base and it should be good to go everyday. Congrats on selecting a fine shaving brush.

*You can use ANY shaving brush day in day out.

I use the same brush all the time, just about every day. I expect back in the day that was the usual. So I think you shouldn't need multiple brushes. That shouldn't stop you from having multiple brushes, however. I think you should consult the vendor about the shedding.

Some more opinion: I rinse my brush very thoroughly, shake the loose water out of it, and leave it standing on the sink counter top. I'm dubious about the practice of squeezing the brush or using a towel on it. You don't need to shake the heck out of the brush to get the loose water out of it, and at least for me the brush is dry within the day.

You should be able to use a well-built shave brush every day for many years provided you adequately take care of the brush, including proper drying and an occasional more thorough cleaning.

I would clean your brush with some simple dish soap like Ivory or Dawn, gently comb-out the bristles and let the brush adequately dry. If you have particularly hard water, you may use a diluted white vinegar or borax soak and rinse to eliminate difficult to remove residue. Some individuals also like to rinse their knot with common hair conditioner as a last step for softness. I've never felt conditioner was necessary.

Lastly, after using your brush to shave, ensure that you adequately rinse any soap or cream residue, shake out excess moisture from the brush, and them wipe it gently across a towel. Ensure that the brush has sufficient ventilation to dry. If your brush is still a little damp the next morning (or evening), it should not cause any problems. If you live in an area that is quite cold or has high humidity, it is not unusual if 24 hours does not provide enough time for a brush to fully dry.

If your Simpsons Duke continues to routinely shed after these steps, I would contact Simpsons for a warranty replacement.

Good luck.

You should be able to use a well-built shave brush every day for many years provided you adequately take care of the brush, including proper drying and an occasional more thorough cleaning.

I would clean your brush with some simple dish soap like Ivory or Dawn, gently comb-out the bristles and let the brush adequately dry. If you have particularly hard water, you may use a diluted white vinegar or borax soak and rinse to eliminate difficult to remove residue. Some individuals also like to rinse their knot with common hair conditioner as a last step for softness. I've never felt conditioner was necessary.

Lastly, after using your brush to shave, ensure that you adequately rinse any soap or cream residue, shake out excess moisture from the brush, and them wipe it gently across a towel. Ensure that the brush has sufficient ventilation to dry. If your brush is still a little damp the next morning (or evening), it should not cause any problems. If you live in an area that is quite cold or has high humidity, it is not unusual if 24 hours does not provide enough time for a brush to fully dry.

If your Simpsons Duke continues to routinely shed after these steps, I would contact Simpsons for a warranty replacement.

Good luck.

Great advice here. Though I have never had to do the dish soap cleaning. I always rinse my brushes very, very thoroughly till all soap residue is gone and then rinse some more, squeezing the head lightly to expel water and any remaining soap (if there is any left) each time. I have never had a problem with soap build up. If your brush has adequate ventilation in the room that it is stored to dry you should have no problems. Leave the bathroom door open if that is where you store it.

Wash it out, shake it out, towel it down and if it's still an issue on cold days use a blow dryer over it on low heat for a couple of minutes. I do it when travelling so I don't put a wet brush away.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The cleaning procedure including dish soap the vinegar/water is mentioned above. ShaveWiki has detailed directions.
Go to:
1. ShaveWiki
2. Shaving Brushes
3. Interactive Guide to shaving brushes
4. Care and Maintenance
5. How to clean a shaving brush
I have used these excellent instructions many times!

I think you should get a couple more Simpsons and rotate as yesterday's brush is drying. That is more fun than struggling with different drying and cleaning techniques.

Yes, use it everyday. I have a Duke 2 that saw daily use for a year straight with no issues at all. I still have the brush, and I still use it. I don't think it was common for people to have a rotation of shaving brushes until the shave-geekery of the likes of us all here came about.

I see you live in southern California, so you shouldn't have high humidity. You brush should be nice and dry long before 24 hours have elapsed. I agree with others that it must be gunky with old lather. I can't think of anything else that would keep it from drying, unless your dog is peeing on it.

I see you live in southern California, so you shouldn't have high humidity. You brush should be nice and dry long before 24 hours have elapsed. I agree with others that it must be gunky with old lather. I can't think of anything else that would keep it from drying, unless your dog is peeing on it.

Agreed. Even though the humidity in my home is typically in the 40% range, I have no issues with my brushes not drying.

However, I still run a regular rotation and generally my brushes get a rest anywhere from 3 to 5 days.
I'm not OCD about the order of use... and I have my favorites that get more use than others, but I do make sure not to grab the brush I used the day before, and generally avoid the one immediately before that.

Thank you all for your advice. I will do the ShaveWiki recommended cleaning, then relax and enjoy.
Note: I was talking about deep inside the knot that stays damp, the outside is always dry.
An amazing response from a knowledgeable group. Thanks again.

I understand that other than mechanical stress, the potential stress on the hair or bristles is soap buildup and mold. I don't know for certain, but I think using the brush everyday and the soaping up and rinsing will keep mold and bacteria from gaining a foothold and munching down, even if the interior of the brush is damp between uses. Anyway, as already pointed out, this appears to be the case as there are plenty of us using the same brush all the time with no issue.

So, I know I'm repeating, but talk to the vendor about the shedding.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, you can use a brush every day - but it needs to be really dry by the time you use it again. I think you'll find if you whip the brush about 15-20 times (you can do this above your forearm so you fell when no more moisture is escaping) it will dry by the next day. Some of the drying time will be humidity/climate dependent.

I use my Simpson (Chubby 1) almost everyday or at minimum every other day depending on how often I shave. I usually shake it out then brush it against a towel to get it nice and dry. It is completely dry by the next morning if not that evening. This could also be effected by your local climate or even simply the air flow in and out of your bathroom.

If your brush is shedding a few hairs everyday I would do the comb test and see how that goes then take action after that.

Regards
Dave

I used a PJ2 7 days a week for a year and it has not deteriorated at all nor shed more than the single hair from break in. I washed it with dish soap once at the 6 month mark.

Top Bottom