What's new

Quick question- My cigars go out before the halfway mark

How long did they sit in your humidor. if you received them and smoked them within a week they could have been stored at to high RH. Some retailers store above 70 prior to shipping.

Cigars going out, in my experience are, tight draw (never really getting going well to begin with), stored too high RH, or Very humid smoking conditions.

I generally let cigars rest in my humidor for an extended period weeks to months before I smoke them.

As for relighting cigars, I do relight them. Sometimes the first 1/4-1/2" has some flavors which are off but that quickly fades.

If a cigar does go out I ash it, and then take that opportunity to clear it by blowing through it, and relight. No special technique is needed at that point just keep the flame off the cigar as you did before.

I know guys will save half a cigar and smoke it later or another day, but to me they always taste sour. I'm currently smoking a bowl off Hamborger Veermaster I started 2 days ago, so that is not me being pretentious.

I've heard mixed emotions on relighting a cigar. Obviously you can do whatever you want with your own cigar.
Some have said never to relight.

Others have said it's ok to relight if you let the cigar go out on it's own. And to relight, cut off the charred end and then light as you would a new cigar.
I've done this a handful of times. I should note that each time the cigar has tasted bad.

Derrick's technique is preffered. Make sure you clear the smoke when you relight. If you are relighting right there, just ash, clear and relight. I don't see the need to cut t he ash off, I only do that if I am trying to avoid a mess with ash later, but I have rarely seen the need for that.

Also bear in mind if youve already enjoyed the sweet spot of the cigar, I see no value in saving it or relighting it at all.

It depends on what you are smoking. IF they are not dried out then it depends on the brand and what you paid. If they are sampler sets, usually not the finest. Are they box wrapped? Are they loose or tightly rolled?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How long did they sit in your humidor. if you received them and smoked them within a week they could have been stored at to high RH. Some retailers store above 70 prior to shipping.

Cigars going out, in my experience are, tight draw (never really getting going well to begin with), stored too high RH, or Very humid smoking conditions.

I generally let cigars rest in my humidor for an extended period weeks to months before I smoke them.

As for relighting cigars, I do relight them. Sometimes the first 1/4-1/2" has some flavors which are off but that quickly fades.
they sat in my humidor for at least 2 months already.

I would be surprised if the whole sampler was a bunch of too tightly wrapped lemons, but stranger things have happened.

I have in the past used the pick from my pipe tool (or a nail, bamboo skewer, etc) to open up the draw of a cigar that was too tight and had issues staying lit. Straight down the middle of the end-cut, no more than a third of the total cigar's length and it will draw with the lightest of puffs.

Two months in a humidor with a 69% Boveda pack - those babies should burn like a dream

Don't want to hi-jack, but I've had a problem with tunneling. Not sure if it's me or the RH of the stick when I smoke it. That could be your prob. Let one sit in a drawer for 2 days before you smoke it. Maybe that will reduce the humidity enough to help keep it lit. Although, it could dry out too much and taste like ash. Might be worth a try. IMHO, our problem is the same... User error.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I would be surprised if the whole sampler was a bunch of too tightly wrapped lemons, but stranger things have happened.

I have in the past used the pick from my pipe tool (or a nail, bamboo skewer, etc) to open up the draw of a cigar that was too tight and had issues staying lit. Straight down the middle of the end-cut, no more than a third of the total cigar's length and it will draw with the lightest of puffs.

Two months in a humidor with a 69% Boveda pack - those babies should burn like a dream
the Acid cigarillos burn like a dream :laugh: They are in there too.

Don't want to hi-jack, but I've had a problem with tunneling. Not sure if it's me or the RH of the stick when I smoke it. That could be your prob. Let one sit in a drawer for 2 days before you smoke it. Maybe that will reduce the humidity enough to help keep it lit. Although, it could dry out too much and taste like ash. Might be worth a try. IMHO, our problem is the same... User error.
Most likely. But darn if I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to try the suggestions here. Nothing to loose.

I'm going to remove them from the cellophane as well

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I removed the cellophone. Not sure if that made a difference but the G2 I smoked this afternoon burned like a dream.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I still had this problem with a couple cigars.

I bought two 69% Boveda packs. And put them both in. For the last week it's been a steady 69% humidity and 74 degrees.

Hoping this his will fix the problem.

On another note is it ok to set the Boveda backs on the cigars? Right now I have them leaned up against the side of the humidor but not sure if that's best for the Boveda packs. (If they have to lay flat). Guess not since the humidity has been steady.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403400127.988626.jpg

And what causes uneven burn. I've noticed this on a lot of them too. They burn uneven

Seems to be uneven lighting when it happens to me. I wipe saliva just ahead of the fast-burning side to slow it and let the other side catch up.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well shucks. And here I thought I was a pro. I'll have to work on my lighting.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That bad burn is caused by a bad roll job, not poor lighting or cutting. An uneven cut CAN cause uneven burn, but shouldn't be tha cause of the what's in that photo. Tunneling can be caused by a really bad roll, or sometimes by cigar bugs hatching. Bugs hatch at around 80 degrees, so keep that temp down.

Looks like it burned even to begin with, I wouldn't think it was a bad lighting. One trick I was told was to turn the unburned end to the high side. The idea that heat rises and will burn quicker at the top to catch up. The saliva on the fast burning side sounds pretty good too.

I never cut square off either, I cut the tip at about 30°-45° and the smoke draws from the side towards the middle of my mouth rather than back, if the makes sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom