What's new

Cleaning after smoking.

What do you gentlemen do after every smoke as far as cleaning goes? Especially on new pipes, do you use a pipe cleaner on the bowl or is that taking out the pending cake?

I will admit I don't clean after every bowl, especially if I know I'm going to put the same or similar blend in.

That at being said I also don't worry about trying to build cake or removing it. Cake is going to build.

I usually always run a pipe cleaner through it. I don't scrape off too much from inside the bowl unless there are large left over chunks (usually University flake causes this)

I will reuse pipe cleaners though. Just to get the moisture out. My birth year Dunhill is probably the only pipe that gets the royal treatment all the time.

Having to start taking off all the softey bits because a lot of my collection are estate pipes. The oxidations gets worst if you leave the wet rubbery bits on. I always make sure to wipe them down thoroughly to cut down on the brownification.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Scoop all of the ash and unturned tobacco out with the scoop on my tamper then knock the fine stuff out of the bowl against the heel of my hand. A cleaner or toe down the stem, usually reversing them to use both ends. Then double up the used cleaner and stuck the clean middle part in the bowl and swab it out good. I like to clean my bowls out pretty well, but this does slow cake formation. My feeling is that by getting all of the loose stuff out, cake builds slower but is harder--not the fluffy brittle cake that builds up quickly.

Scoop all of the ash and unturned tobacco out with the scoop on my tamper then knock the fine stuff out of the bowl against the heel of my hand. A cleaner or toe down the stem, usually reversing them to use both ends. Then double up the used cleaner and stuck the clean middle part in the bowl and swab it out good. I like to clean my bowls out pretty well, but this does slow cake formation. My feeling is that by getting all of the loose stuff out, cake builds slower but is harder--not the fluffy brittle cake that builds up quickly.

I pretty much do this, minus the swabbing out the bowl. I've also got an ashtray with a cork knocker, so I use that instead of the heel of my hand. Then the next day or later on when the pipe cools, I'll put cleaners soaked in rectified spirits through the stem.

I do this with one caveat. I use two pipe cleaners. The first has one end dipped in Everclear, then through the stem to the bowl. The turn the cleaner around and use the dry end. I then use the cleaner with Everclear on it in the U shape to swab out the bowl. I then use a dry cleaner through the stem to the bowl with both ends. I usually wait until the end of the day to clean my pipes.

I do use a pipe cleaner when I am smoking too to get rid of the moisture that can accumulate during smoking.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm probably a bit less thorough cleaning the bowl than some others, but that depends on how funky it is. I do use Everclear soaked pipe cleaners on the stem after every smoke, followed by dry ones. Depending on how dirty the pipe is, or if the taste gets a bit off, I'll separate the stem from the shank and use a shank brush or a folded up bristle pipe cleaner to get out the built up tars. I rotate through a large number of pipes and I'm only an occasional smoker, so my pipes get plenty of drying time between smokes. Probably if I had fewer pipes and smoked more often, I'd be a bit more aggressive in my cleaning routine.

I use a pipe cleaner every time.. Through the stem with both ends of the cleaner, then bend it into a narrow "U" shape and swab the bowl.

This is pretty much all I do to any of my pipes, after they have rested long enough... generally it works out to be about 24 hours.

I pretty much do this, minus the swabbing out the bowl. I've also got an ashtray with a cork knocker, so I use that instead of the heel of my hand. Then the next day or later on when the pipe cools, I'll put cleaners soaked in rectified spirits through the stem.
This is pretty much what I do too, I was just wanting to make sure that I didn't mess up my first briar pipe. Not that it was an expensive one. Good to know I'm kinda doing it right.:lol: Now I just have to go back to Paul's and buy more pipes...As soon as I convince SWMBO that I need 20 more.

This is pretty much what I do too, I was just wanting to make sure that I didn't mess up my first briar pipe. Not that it was an expensive one. Good to know I'm kinda doing it right.:lol: Now I just have to go back to Paul's and buy more pipes...As soon as I convince SWMBO that I need 20 more.

Why stop there? :biggrin1:

I do this with one caveat. I use two pipe cleaners. The first has one end dipped in Everclear, then through the stem to the bowl. The turn the cleaner around and use the dry end. I then use the cleaner with Everclear on it in the U shape to swab out the bowl. I then use a dry cleaner through the stem to the bowl with both ends. I usually wait until the end of the day to clean my pipes.

I do use a pipe cleaner when I am smoking too to get rid of the moisture that can accumulate during smoking.

That is one thing I still need, Everclear, luckily the little market right down the street sells it.....probably should since I smoke one pipe all the time.

For some reason wives say things like "you already have a pipe", then I say "yeah but that is just for English blends", and then I get "the look".

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
While practicing my pipe-pointing-while-talking technique, I was pondering drying time. I wonder what would happen if you put one of those dessicant packs in the bowl overnight to aid with drying.

Top Bottom