What's new

Are my sleeves too short?

I always thought I was a 34/35. Whenever i get measured, I always forget. Last week when I went to buy a couple dress shirts, I asked the lady to measure me. She said I was a 32/33. So, I bought my shirt at that size and today when I was driving, and had my arm reached out and wrist resting onto of the wheel, my sleep climbed pretty high. That shouldn't happen, right?

I typically buy shirts with 36/37 inch sleeves - gorilla arms. When the woman measured your arm, was it straight, or did she have you bend it 90 degrees and then measure? It makes a huge difference and i prefer my cuffs to be at the wrist even when it's bent.

I typically buy shirts with 36/37 inch sleeves - gorilla arms. When the woman measured your arm, was it straight, or did she have you bend it 90 degrees and then measure? It makes a huge difference and i prefer my cuffs to be at the wrist even when it's bent.

I think I was straight with my arms to my side. It wasn't a store that specializes in dress shirts and business wear. So it may be that she just doesn't know what she is doing.

But also, I don't know what I am looking for. I know that when you are wearing a suit, your shirt sleeves should be resting past your suit sleeves. But when your are is going through the different range of motions, like say if I were to raise my arms out in front of me and up a bit, should my sleeves rise up my arms about an inch or so past my wrist bone?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Does it look like this when you hang your arms at your sides?

proxy.php

If so, it's long enough. The sleeve will "ride up" a bit when you move your arm around. Too much riding up is probably the sign of a poorly designed shirt (not a good "join" at the shoulder.)

Most decent shirts do not measure 35/36 & so forth. The good shirt makers measure 35, 36,37, they don't use two measurements. How can a a shirt be 35/36, it can't be both.

Most decent shirts do not measure 35/36 & so forth. The good shirt makers measure 35, 36,37, they don't use two measurements. How can a a shirt be 35/36, it can't be both.

I know that. But my shirts aren't fitted. Not really at the stage of my life, nor in the position to do such a thing. I purchase my shirts from department stores, and they use the standard 32/33, 34/35, etc.

You can get shirts with exact measurements at a reasonable cost from Jos. A. Bank and other sellers. I agree that you're better to get the discreet lengths instead of the more generic 32/32's.

I know that. But my shirts aren't fitted. Not really at the stage of my life, nor in the position to do such a thing. I purchase my shirts from department stores, and they use the standard 32/33, 34/35, etc.

You can get shirts with exact measurements at a reasonable cost from Jos. A. Bank and other sellers. I agree that you're better to get the discreet lengths instead of the more generic 32/32's.

I agree. That day will come, just not any time soon. I need a job that financially supports it and requires business wear.

But, this thread wasn't about that and wasn't about what my size is. I was just asking how far is too far in terms of the sleeve riding up. Over an inch past my wrist bone when I have my hand on the steering wheel when driving. I could feel the tightness and stretch. Not very comfortable. But then I don't want to get a size bigger if it makes my arms look baggy.

The sleeve will "ride up" a bit when you move your arm around. Too much riding up is probably the sign of a poorly designed shirt (not a good "join" at the shoulder.)

Doc, this "riding up" is exactly the problem I have. I get a shirt that fits perfectly in the sleeve until I put on the suit coat - then up the sleeves go! Could you explain more about "not a good join at the shoulder"? As in, what exactly is going on and what I should look for? Thanks!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Doc, this "riding up" is exactly the problem I have. I get a shirt that fits perfectly in the sleeve until I put on the suit coat - then up the sleeves go! Could you explain more about "not a good join at the shoulder"? As in, what exactly is going on and what I should look for? Thanks!

I suspect that your shirt has a larger arm hole (where the sleeve is joined to the body) than your suit.

Wearing just your shirt (okay, pants and such. Just no jacket) let one arm hang down naturally at your side. Take your other hand and put it on your side, and slide it up into the arm pit of the arm hanging naturally. You should see the shirt start "riding up" your arm. This is basically what I suspect is happening when you put your jacket on.

I am no tailor, so take this with a grain of salt.

I suspect that your shirt has a larger arm hole (where the sleeve is joined to the body) than your suit.

Wearing just your shirt (okay, pants and such. Just no jacket) let one arm hang down naturally at your side. Take your other hand and put it on your side, and slide it up into the arm pit of the arm hanging naturally. You should see the shirt start "riding up" your arm. This is basically what I suspect is happening when you put your jacket on.

I am no tailor, so take this with a grain of salt.

Thanks, Doc; I will check next time I have it out. Guess the question is what to do about it - for the moment I have been pulling he shirt by the cuff until I get it down as far as I like. But then I move and up it goes again. Frustrating.

This has been a huge frustration of mine--32/33 is too short and 34/35 is too long. Now I just make my own and have fine tuned a pattern to have the French Cuffs just the right length.

Top Bottom