What's new

It stretches the skin. It does this when it's told.

About a year into the nearly daily straight use, I'm pretty confident with my technique and happy with the results of my shaves. That said, I've left the skin stretching out (tried it a few times) as it never seemed natural and was unnecessary with my DEs. I get a fairly close shave without going against the grain and most importantly to me, no irritation, which was quite prevalent in my pre DE/straight razor days.

This leads me to a question. As enthusiasts on this forum, we all like to experiment with every possible variable regarding our shave. So, have any of you started out like me and then decided to introduce skin stretching and found it to enhance the result (perhaps a closer shave)? I'd love to gauge the feedback as I've said... I prefer to avoid an ATG pass. Let me know, thanks.

About a year into the nearly daily straight use, I'm pretty confident with my technique and happy with the results of my shaves. That said, I've left the skin stretching out (tried it a few times) as it never seemed natural and was unnecessary with my DEs. I get a fairly close shave without going against the grain and most importantly to me, no irritation, which was quite prevalent in my pre DE/straight razor days.

This leads me to a question. As enthusiasts on this forum, we all like to experiment with every possible variable regarding our shave. So, have any of you started out like me and then decided to introduce skin stretching and found it to enhance the result (perhaps a closer shave)? I'd love to gauge the feedback as I've said... I prefer to avoid an ATG pass. Let me know, thanks.

It was the key in getting even closer shaves than I had before

Good to know! Looks like I'll be revising my technique tomorrow to see how it goes. Luckily I did the left and right hands to begin with or I'd be back at square one. Anyone have a preference for using the opposite hand to pull the skin in the direction of the blade or spine? If nothing else, I'd assume pulling on the spine side would be safer.

I find that skin stretching:
-raises my hairs giving me a closer shave,
-helps prevent skin folding catching and cuts,
+helps move spots from hard to cut areas to flatter spots on my face where cutting can happen.

Indispensible for a BBS shave in my experience.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I am soon to start up my own youtube channel where daily shaves, auctions, and antique shop stalking will be chronicled. Coming soon!

Well, I'm only on my third straight razor shave, but it's clear to me that I need to stretch the skin. The reason appears to be that my DE does this automatically, by virtue of the safety bar, whereas the naked blade has nothing in front to prevent bunching of the skin. When the skin bunches this leads to cutting in, rather than shaving, and seems to be the reason for most of the red spots I currently have.

Anyone have a preference for using the opposite hand to pull the skin in the direction of the blade or spine? If nothing else, I'd assume pulling on the spine side would be safer.
I tried some stretch points other than spine side just yesterday and immediately went back to spine side. YMMV

I know you said you don't like to shave ATG, but for me, I stretch up when going WTG, and down when ATG. Stretching opposite the shave direction, from behind the blade, gets it close and comfortable.

I always stretch, but on many parts of my face I don't need the other hand to accomplish this. I can use "shaving faces" to pull the skin tight. If you move those face muscles you will be surprised at how effective you can be and the goofy faces are fun.

I have a thin face with sharp features. I couldn't even get SAS without a cartridge follow-up until I learned how to stretch better. Still trying to get down some key areas - I agree that there is such a thing as too tight.

I'm pretty skinny and, helas, not the youngest of folks anymore. My skin tends to be loose at certain areas of my skin. The part beneath my cheekbones mainly. Leaving the stretching out results in unsatisfactory shaves at carries the risk of serious cuts. So, yes, stretching is absolutely necessary for me.

I stretch the skin whether I use a DE or a straight. Closer shave, less nicks and cuts, easier to shave certain areas closer.

I always stretch too but only certain areas of the face. My reasons behind it is, I don't really like to feel / see uneven shaved areas on the face left behind when I don't stretch the skin.

I actually don't. But I prefer to not get too too close, as I like to shave everyday. I can get my skin pretty taut just by moving my head/jaw around.

Top Bottom