What's new

My experience with the GEM Clog Pruf & OCMM so far

My single edge experience started off with a nickel plated OCMM and Clog-Pruf.

The OCMM was first. Conscious of the angle required, I carefully prepped and followed all the advise I could find. Used the ASR carbons steel baldes from CVS.

The first shave was kinda harsh, but no nicks or weepers. Too much of an angle. Big learnign curve. Moderately close with 2 passes. I continued out the week and as the week went on, the shaves got worse. By Friday, I used a new blade and the shave was better. Was my technique better after 5 days? Probably.

I worked on the angle the next week and used a new blade. A much better shave. Until Wednesday. Harsh, with minimal stubble cutting. 3 passes and a lousy shave. No nicks/weepers, just a lousy shave.

Finally after 2 1/2 weeks worth of shaves with the Micromatics, i think I got the angle down. It's intuitive really. You kinda "just know" when it's right. You hear the "cut' with no pulling, and no burn.

Now here's my problem. I can get darn near close to a BBS (a super DFS) with a new blade with either the MMOC or the Clog-Pruf. Second shave with the same blade is ok. Third, forget it. Horrible. If I change the blade, darn near BBS again.

I read a lot of posts where many of you SE users get even more shaves from a SE blade as you do from a DE. Not me.

Apparently I get two 2-3 pass shaves per SE blade and that's it. Then I need a new one. Pop that new one in, and it's a DFS. Anyone else have a simlar experience? I know, YMMV.

I'm not a big fan of CVS Pharmacy blades they are serviceable but tend to pull and tug (my experience). You can try a different SE blade for example stainless steel PTFE coated Gem blades. For me the third shave with a CVS blade is not pleasant so I don't use them often, I buy them because they are easy to find locally. Below is a quick guide in the variety of SE blades available. Also, check out the video for some great OCMM tips.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292388-Single-edge-blade-guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

Thanks DrumsZalot. Interesting. So you're getting about what I get out of the CVS SE blades. I'll be ordering some of the SS PTFE coated blades. Do they really last longer (read; stay sharp & usable) than the CVS carbon steel ones?

I got the CVS ones because they're the only ones I can get locally too. (My local Rite Aid has same ASR ones also marked 009 in the blade vault with different packaging).

As you already know ymmv is key when it comes to razor blades. What works for me might not work for you. I find the PTFE coated blades to be good all around blades. In my experience the PTFE coated blades don't pull and tug as do the CVS carbon blades. They also are smoother and last a few more shaves then the CVS blades. Just to inform you 009 denotes the blade thickness and RD means regular duty.

As for carbon steel blades, even though ASR manufactures both CVS and Gem Blue Star blades I find the Blue Star blades to be superior. In my experience the Blue Star blades are smooth and sharp but by the third shave they are not sharp enough.

PAL Supers are another to check out. They have some sort of coating on the "body" of the blade (not the bevel) that inhibits rust. Plus the coating is a sort of black color and looks cool in the razors.:001_smile

I use the ptfe blades, and by the end of the third shave they are done. The treet carbons are done by the end of the second
shave for me, although they feel a little sharper they give up quicker.
De blades are very similar 3 to 4 with some 2 with others, but as ever ymmv.

Just my 2p

I only get two good shaves from my carbon steel SE blades - but they are GOOD shaves!
Normal 3 shaves from a DE blade and 6 from an injector.
They are cheap disposable items, so it's just fine by me :)

Are you doing an "against the grain" pass? . . . . . That's where the SE shaving magic happens.
(but then I only use stainless steel, coated blades)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Clog Pruf & OCMM are two of my favorite SE razors. This thread really shows how much ymmv there is when it comes to blades. I actually prefer carbon steel over stainless in my SE's. They seem much smoother to me. I use CVS carbons frequently.

In my personal experience, I have found that the oxidation that happens on carbon blades between shaves, can really effect how many shaves I can get from a blade. So when I'm done with a shave, I will spray the blade down with 91% alcohol to remove moisture and soap film. I then rub a very thin film of mineral oil on the carbon blade and place it back in the razor. this prevents rust and oxidation from dulling the edge at the microscopic level.

Works for me. I get about 8-10 shaves from a blade. Ymmv. :)

First shave with my new to me OCMM used Gem blue star blade and got a great 3 pass shave with little to no burn with alum block.
This may move into my regular rotation.Was apprehensive before starting after reading how aggressive these open comb Gem's were
soon found out that it was far more comfortable than my fatip or superspeed red tip.
Took some care to get blade angle correct but no big deal. Over all a great shave and a pleasure to use.

Top Bottom