What's new

Bad Boar

Greetings to All,
Some time back I received omega boar and a Wilkinson boar brushes. During that time I have been using a Nivea brush( I guess its synth). I'm a face latherer . So when I use arko just with little amount of soap loads of lather produced by this Nivea brush. After reading some reviews I recently purchased a vie lone pro bush (Horse) . It is such wonderful brush and is producing very nice lather from the same amount of arko.
So I wanted to try out the boar also. I repeated the lathering and after few swirls on my face PRESTO Lather has just vanished. No matter how I tried initially there will be so lather generated by both brushers and then after another few swirls lather will be gone as well as the soapy feeling of the brush. Hair of both brushes have some backbone and its more than the horse hair brush.

So I would like to know what our brushperts will have to say ?

Soak the soap a bit longer, lather a lot longer. Boars don't hold as much lather in the knot as badgers or synths (cant compare to horses), and the fact that their hair actually absorbs water seems to contribute to some soaps tendency to break down between passes. That said, these problems can be greatly allayed by practicing with the boars and adapting your lathering techniques to them, though I've never found a way to make them perform on par with quality badger or synthetic brushes with regards to maintaining lather in the knot for further passes when face lathered. It takes a REALLY good boar with a REALLY good soap REALLY well lathered to provide me with three full passes of lather. I've got badgers that can take a second tier soap lathered in a rush and give me six passes if I wanted it.

Even with the tiny Bambino, I produced and held enough lather for more than a couple passes with Williams, so I think a boar is on par mostly with my synthetic. The only thing I've personally noticed is my lather uses a little less water with the boar, I think?
There's a Nivea brush?!

Yes, It belongs to my father and I think he bought it some 15-20 years ago.
But I'm not sure about the hair, Whether its boar,synth or horse .
I just guessed its synth. How ever it still performs like a champ.

While it is true the boars are different, I really cannot imagine how one can be "bad" without obvious defects.

What I do find is that a "dirty" boar tends to break down the soap. If it's vintage, or if it's brand new never cleaned, try the shampoo routine in the tutorial.

Last edited:
Initially I put it in dish washing liquid for few hours and then soaked it in Dettol disinfectant for about 1 hour. After that I lathered it pears baby soap few times. Then I lathered with Arko and left it over night. Since both are new brushes I did not bothered to go further.

I went through the shavewiki, Is there any other step I missed ?

Initially I put it in dish washing liquid for few hours and then soaked it in Dettol disinfectant for about 1 hour. After that I lathered it pears baby soap few times. Then I lathered with Arko and left it over night. Since both are new brushes I did not bothered to go further.

I went through the shavewiki, Is there any other step I missed ?

Kind of odd. Is it the Arko you are having trouble lathering with them? Yet Arko lathers well with other brushes, just not the one in question?

My personal experience wit Arko is that it would probably lather well with a spoon using sewer water. But then again, I don't have a particular brush that I find harder to lather than others.

i would never have left the brush overnight. hopefully or luckily you did not do damage to the knot. just a quick few test lathers should have been enough and maybe a quick few minute soak in the disinfect. would have been fine. a few things with boar. first dont shake out to much water. soak it then take it out of the water and just give it a couple shakes off and thats it. you could try also pre wetting the soap a bit with just a few drops of water on top. then turn the brush over the puck for a good 30 seconds or more even a lot of people find they simply are not using enough product even though they think they are. keep swirling it over the soap till you make a bit of lather even. then start face lathering make sure to have your face (at least i do) a bit wet not dripping but not dryi splash my face a bit a just dab off the excess. you may be doing all this i dont know but boar at first can be a bit harder to make a good lather with depending on the quality of the boar.

i agree with the above arko will lather just by staring it down hard enough. try more product and try more water.

Top Bottom