What's new

How do I remove my past mistakes ?

I bought a strop from Straight Razor Place as my first strop and it being my first strop I cut the side of the strops pretty good. I am a little concerned that these cuts my effect my razors when I strop on it. My questions:

1. Are my fears founded ?
2. How can I remove these "past mistakes" or is it advisable ?

Thanks.

Depends on the cuts... I usually sand from 220 all the way up to 1500-2000k grit sand paper (320, 400, 600, 1200) then treat with neats foot oil and let it dry... If you can still feel bumps then yes it could effect the edge... You can also buy replacement leather from straight razor designs for not that bad of a price

Pictures would get you more specific advice.

I've restored a few vintages with knicks. With a little sanding you can smooth out some pretty heavy cutting. It'll still be there, but it won't affect stropping. Shallow nicks you can remove completely. Of the vintage strops I've bought, I'd say only one was trashed by nicks. I sanded it a lot, got it useable, but not perfect. It's hanging here, may try turning it into a 2" wide strop (since the nicks are all on one side). The other strops I've tossed were all tossed because the leather was brittle and wrinkled/cracked through.

Last edited:
I put the lightest dab of CA glue on the tip of a toothpick so I can insert a very small amount into the slice then press it closed and it is instantly gone. larger nicks and cuts may be harder to fix and if you use to much CA glue it can be sanded out til smooth. This only works if no pieces are missing. Luckily I haven't had to do it lately and shell seems to resist nicking better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom