What's new

Deciding new Open comb

Seems like the R41 has a BIG learning curve. I'd try out the 1904. There's a lot of Gillette old types on eBay that are pretty if you want to just TRY an open comb razor. Just a lot less of a loss if you end up not liking it..

Seems like the R41 has a BIG learning curve. I'd try out the 1904. There's a lot of Gillette old types on eBay that are pretty if you want to just TRY an open comb razor. Just a lot less of a loss if you end up not liking it..
+1

My vote is for a New SC or LC. They can be had for a pretty small price and are very good razors. Plus, if you find you don't like it, it is a pretty easy sell here on the BST.

+1 on this. If you are talking brand new, then the choices are as mentioned. I hear the Muhle is very hard to tame.

If you are talking simply new to you, I would go with one of the Gillettes. Can't beat vintage for style points and entry price is lower in case you don't like the OC shave.

My vote is for a New SC or LC. They can be had for a pretty small price and are very good razors. Plus, if you find you don't like it, it is a pretty easy sell here on the BST.

The 1904 is extremely mild, the Old slightly more aggressive. I have both and love them. I also have a NEW Short Comb on the way. U tried the Long Comb but four it too aggressive for me.

A lot depends on how aggressive you want the razor to be, and what experience you have. If you like aggressive razors, go for the R41, if not, go for one of the vintage Gillettes or the 1904.

Of the 2 that you mentioned I would say R 41 it is one of my favorite shavers. The finish is flawless. I have always had quality control problems with Merkur. If finish doesn't bother you then go for the Merkur but if it does start flaking and you call Merkur they blame it on your water. A cheap open comb that is nice you could try is a RazoRock Jaws or a Cadet OC both are great shavers for under $20

I have the 1904 closed comb and it is a very mild razor. I can't imagine that the open comb would be that much more aggressive. Comparing it to the R41 is still apples and oranges. What about the Merkur 15C or the Merkur 25C? Both are open combs but with longer handles. Perhaps they might be a bit more aggressive than the 1904 but still far far tamer than the Muhle.

I've been wet shaving for 4 months now and I've been using very mild vintage Gillettes and recently got an R41 after seeing all the hype about it. I've shaved with it twice and each time an very impressed. It's not as difficult as I figured it'd be. I'm sure there will be plenty of "dang it" moments to come but I can't recommend it more. Good luck with whatever you choose!

+1 on the Gillette NEW LC. It is now my favourite razor. The RazoRock Jaws Hammer is also an aggressive OC. Get the Jaws from Italian Barber.

I have a 1904, and love it as a daily shaver. I can't comment on the vintage Gillettes, but the Merkur is indeed mild while still efficient enough. As they say YMMV.

The Mühle r41 is severe but that's what makes it such a great razor for dense beards like mine. You really learn the value of zero pressure. It's like driving a manual car.

Top Bottom