What's new

Where can a beginner get a coticule ?

I have bought all of my coticules from Jarrod. His prices are good and include shipping. Many of his stones include a slurry stone and/or box.

I highly recommend shooting him an email.

The nice thing about buying from TSS is you get to see the stone before you lay your money down. There are a lot of places that sell cotis without letting you see the actual stone you are purchasing. I won't use their name but I recently contacted one after seeing their website images of these GORGEOUS La Vinette stones asking if these were the actual cotis for sale. Reply saying oh no sir those are just sample images. So I asked can you send me pictures of the stones you have for sale. Well that was quite impossible. Said they didn't have time to send me a couple images of a rock. Somehow I didn't have time to give them any of my hard earned money.

Superior Shave has treated me well. I have bought five or six Coticules from him and have no complaints.
Dumb question.... Why the need for 5 different coticules? I got one off eBay (vintage £43 7.5"x1.5") and don't see a need for a second - the poor results I occasionally get are due to my incompetence not the need for a different stone. Or am I missing something?

jim

Dumb question.... Why the need for 5 different coticules? I got one off eBay (vintage £43 7.5"x1.5") and don't see a need for a second - the poor results I occasionally get are due to my incompetence not the need for a different stone. Or am I missing something?

jim

Absolutely right Jim! As i got my first coti some years ago, i thought too soft for my kitchen knifes, too rough for my razors, so i quited using cotis for a long time, sold the one, found a vintage one, read many threads about them, masterd this one and finally used tested and bought some more.

The main thing is that they are all different but when you know your stone you can get the exact same results of a new LaGrise or a Vintage Salmrock, absolutely no difference.
Some are faster, some are smoother, some are dead slow but they all give that wonderfull mellow edge......
But all the time i am honing with different cotis i got to do it in another way, to get sucess.

Why do we need more than one finisher????? That is easy, the most straight razor guys are totally crazy! (Me too!)

greets Sebastian.

I think I am up to 15 of the silly things or something like that now. It is an addiction! I see one that looks a little different from what I have. "Oh, that would be the perfect size for hand honing" "Oh wow, I don't have one that is exactly that color" It just goes on and on. For the life of me I can't just treat the things like tools. I find figuring them out to be entertaining! Perfect little puzzles to be mastered. I am so bad I have more coticules than razors! HELLO, MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A COTI ADDICT

! HELLO, MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A COTI ADDICT[/QUOTE]

That last bit made me laugh.. I'm glad that I don't live close to where they can be purchased easily or I wold have already built a dog house out of them or something.

Let me throw a wrench in the works here. To the OP: why do you want a coticule and what other stones are you using in your progression?
Have to admit I understand the attraction of a coticule
  • It can be (almost) a single stone honing solution.... If you know how to use them, then a DMT600 or DMT1200 plus a Coti could be all you need
  • Coti edges are reputed to be exceptionally smooth & comfortable

This was my logic when I went this route.... of course I am stumbling on the "If you know how to use them" premise in this theory. Honed edges about a dozen times so far... got something that I can shave with, but not up to the comfort levels of blades that a honemeister (Gary Haywood) did for me on his Coti. I am sure that after another dozen or so edges I will have got there or close enough

Hi guys, I think I can understand your comments, but my questions essentially have to do with why one feels one "needs" a coticule in the first place. One can use a coticule in different ways, and this can vary depending on the presence or absence of other stones being used. Similarly, a coticule is not really necessary in honing a straight razor, but this of course implies the use of other stones. What stones one already has can affect this considerably.

Progression? Should he count a slurry stone?

Why not using a coti in a progression???
There are a lot of people around experimentating to use Jnats, Thuringians, or any other stones beyond a coti....

Not that you cant get a good edge from a coti but experimenting in the progression afterwards might give another feel on a straight razor shave....So all ways are possible...

Bevel Set --> Coti --> Jnat
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=399164

Why not using a coti in a progression???
There are a lot of people around experimentating to use Jnats, Thuringians, or any other stones beyond a coti....

Not that you cant get a good edge from a coti but experimenting in the progression afterwards might give another feel on a straight razor shave....So all ways are possible...

I know, was a silly joke. I should have thrown in a smiley!

Top Bottom