What's new

Hornitos Black Barrel

Not much of a Tequila person. But I'm actually curious about how this tastes...

$hornitos-black-barrel.jpg

If you’ve ever been stuck between knocking back some tequila or sipping some whiskey, Hornitos has a solution for you. Hornitos Black Barrel is a tequila that is aged in oak casks for 12 months and deep charred barrels for four months to give it some whiskey-esque notes. Accompanying the classic tequila taste are hints of oakiness and vanilla like you’d find in whiskey. The 100% agave tequila is smooth and unlike any other bottle you might find at the store. It won’t replace whiskey or tequila, obviously, but it is an interesting blend of the two worlds ($30).

http://coolmaterial.com/home/hornitos-black-barrel-is-like-whiskey-and-tequila-in-one/

http://www.hornitostequila.com/products.html

The description seems to be written by and for people who don't know tequila.

It ought to be decent. Anejo means it's been aged for 12+ months in oak whiskey barrels; that's true of any brand, that's what anejo means. I can't imagine an anejo mixto, but just in case, always look for 100% agave. (Mixtos are no less than 51% agave, and usually no more; the other 49% is likely bottom-quality corn sugar spirit.) Any 100% agave anejo will have hints of whiskey. It doesn't "replace tequila" because it is tequila.

For comparison, reposados (sometimes called "gold") are aged 6 months to a year in oak whiskey barrels, and blancos ("silver") are aged a month or less (perhaps bottled right out of the still) for a sweeter, more agave taste but less refinement/smoothness.

Finally, fine tequila (or even a pedestrian brand dipping into the premium market) should be sipped just like a fine whiskey. If you're knocking back shots, and especially if salt and lime are involved, you're really missing out.

Very good! Highly recommend it. Picked this up when I saw it at the Liquor Store and thought I would see if anyone else had tried it on B&B.
You can definitely taste the Agave notes of a pretty good Anejo tequila (I have tried and quite like the Hornitos Anejo), but the both the nose and the tongue get smack of Whisky! It is tough to say what kind of whisky... maybe a little bit more of a bourbon than a rye whisky, but not of either exactly. And it is not during any stage of the experience, but all the way through. It is a bit confusing to the pallet, but enjoyable nonetheless.
$black1.jpg
oops. poured a little more in the glass than intended... good thing I like it!

Top Bottom