What's new

Will need a new strop soon - Want some advice

Not because I have ruined my original, but because number two son just started with a straight razor that I gave him & when he goes back to college he will need his own strop... the obvious thing to do is give him my current strop which I have had about two months when I started SR shaving. It has a couple of very minor nicks, but I would have happily used it for a year or more before upgrading otherwise. (Not impressed enough with it however to buy a second one).

Looking for advice & recommendations for what I can get in the UK.

One option I have is to ask a local person who makes belts, saddles, bridles & tack to make one for me... If I go this route, then what leather do I ask for - she will obviously have "English Bridle", she may have access to Latigo... or other leathers.
Is there any particular finish to the leather that I would need to request or avoid? Or is any English Bridle leather good enough, as long as there are no markings or imperfections on it? And should I get the thickest leather possible in 3" width etc etc. Not sure she will have access to 3" linen straps also but if not then I can do a second home made linen one again for him. (Made my own linen strop already - see here)

Another obvious option is a Neil Miller strop - have put a query into him already. (This is probably my favourite option)

Any other options I should consider?

Can't say about the Miller variable. I'm a huge Tony Miller fan but I hear Neil Miller is pretty good as well. You definitely want a 3 inch as strop. Much easier to work with.

Kanayama 3 or 60K depending on your budget. Shell will bring an edge back batter and faster than most anything else. Well commercially available that is.

Thanks folks.... have dropped emails to Neil Miller at Strop-Shop and to Torolf at Scrupleworks.

If I was to go down the route of asking a local leatherworker to make one, what sort of leather should I specify?

Dealers choice at having one made. Bridle tends to be faster lighter draw. Latigo a bit heavier. Both are marvelously durable. I would inquire about what she has that is of fantastic quality as far as lack of imperfections, tight grained, and of an appropriate thickness. Leather can get to thick IMO. I want durable, but also supple enough to conform to the edge. Of the popular strop makers there are several I would reccomend.

Kanayama
Scruppleworks
Tony Miller
Walkin Horse

I have strops from all of these makers and have only wonderful things to say about there performance and good looks.

Should have added, you can get a 3 inch genuine linen component from Scruppleworks either as part of a strop or as a replacement component that you could add to your local makers strop.

I got the Kanayama #3 from Aframestokyo and added the canvas/linen piece as well to have the full 3 piece setup. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks folks.... have dropped emails to Neil Miller at Strop-Shop and to Torolf at Scrupleworks.

If I was to go down the route of asking a local leatherworker to make one, what sort of leather should I specify?

Cordovan, 3mm

Other names may or may not be consistent.... as in English Bridle may or may not be the same leather used for an English Bridle, just as there are no grapes in a grapefruit.
Cordovan... any leather worker will know that you want the horse's patootie.

I tryed it's of strops from them all Neil linen cordaven is the very best stroping tryed and only use, not cheap but wort every penny.

gary

I tryed it's of strops from them all Neil linen cordaven is the very best stroping tryed and only use, not cheap but wort every penny.

gary
Absolutely a good choice.
I am waiting on Neil to get back into the shop to order one from him.
Hoping it will be very soon.
Myron

I've been using Neil's Cordovan & Natural Linen for about eighteen months now, and I wouldn't use anything else ...

You will be very happy!

proxy.php

I've been using Neil's Cordovan & Natural Linen for about eighteen months now, and I wouldn't use anything else ...

You will be very happy!

proxy.php

Between strong recommendations from Gary Haywood and seeing this photo & the supporting discussion in an earlier thread this is indeed my choice.
Just working out the final details of the construction with Neil. Will be going for:
- 3" Cordovan & Linen
- Single handle giving Linen & Leather "floating together in tension" - pretty much as you have except handle instead of D ring
Now will be just incredibly impatient waiting for it :001_rolle

Top Bottom