What's new

How likely are you to buy a synthetic shave brush in the near future?

How likely are you to buy a synthetic shave brush in the near future?

• No interest at all

• Tempted somewhat

• No opinion

• Probably will buy

• Already own

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm interested in how many members are likely to buy a synthetic shave brush in the future. I asked this identical question in the past, and am curious if responses have changed. I'll post the original poll results in a few days for you to compare.

Last edited:
Most certainly. I have been using a synthetic for the past 4 years exclusively, and decided to pick up a couple of my favorite Rooney brushes on a whim. After using them a week, they will be going to the BST at some point. I really like and prefer the way synthetic brushes perform, they use less product and do an excellent job at face and bowl lathering. Synthetics are so good now that they match the performance of badger easily. In my opinion anyway.

I have my eye on the new Plisson and perhaps another EJ. My original EJ has a 19mm knot; I'd like something a little bigger.

I was very sceptical about synthetics after my lacklustre experiences with a Body Shop brush.
But then I read about the black fibre and bought myself a Muhle HJM to find out what all the fuss was about.
Now I can't stop using it,.it's just so great.
A bit like mobile phones, I'm excited for new developements in synthetics (maybe ones that release water gradually somehow like naturals).
This has got to be one of the very few areas of wetshaving which has improved in the past 20 years.

Bought a few, found them too springy and didn't enjoy them as much as my badgers so I won't be having one in the near future.

I already have a Kent Silvertex, which I love, and a Whipped Dog, which so also great. Well, I actually have two Kents; I like to have backups. I may buy a backup WD if one pops up on the BS&T.

I bought an olivewood handle off the bay that I transplanted my Omega 49 knot into. I now have two more of the same handles enroute to me, and I will fill them with a slivertip and synthetic when Whipped Dog gets them back in stock.

I have one on its way from Connaught Shaving. I need something that dries quickly for travel, since I have a lot of trips planned this year.

Bought a Muhle black fibre to try over a year ago. Bought a Silver Tip Fibre two months ago. Only tried my decent badgers once or twice in that year and I prefer the Muhles.

Gareth

Back in the sixties polyester clothing was taking over the world and I drove my haberdasher to distraction insisting on wool and cotton. A few years later he was stocking them again, extensively.

There is something about synthetic fibre brushes that simply does not appeal to me. Perhaps it is the prospect of the same kind of uniformity that we get with fast foods. I prefer the variability and even quirkiness of --and the craft involved in making things from -- a natural product.

Back in the sixties polyester clothing was taking over the world and I drove my haberdasher to distraction insisting on wool and cotton. A few years later he was stocking them again, extensively.

There is something about synthetic fibre brushes that simply does not appeal to me. Perhaps it is the prospect of the same kind of uniformity that we get with fast foods. I prefer the variability and even quirkiness of --and the craft involved in making things from -- a natural product.
Hmmm...Back in the 60s, I drove a 4,600 pound Buick Riviera at its top speed of 92 mph to my haberdasher. It got 16 mpg but I didn't care because gas was cheap.

A few years later, I drove my 1,650 pound Alfa Romeo Guilia TI Super to the same haberdasher at 140 mph. I got 26 mpg with its Offenhouser 2 liter dual OHC engine.

Do I miss the 60s? Ha ha ha... :001_cool:

Last edited:
I will have to say that it's tempting. I'm not interested in horse brushes but sythetic has piqued my interest. I will maybe wait for next year.

voted "tempted somewhat". I have a synthetic brush (it was actually my first brush). I learned to make good lather with it. It doesn't have the best backbone, but that may be only because it's not set deep enough.

Top Bottom