What's new

C & S - Scent Comparisons

Hey guys -
I've been wanting to grab a puck of C & S, but I have no clue what the No.88 or O & C offerings smell like.
Do either of these products smell similar to another product you've used? It doesn't have to be exact, just similar.

Hoping to make a good decision based on your feedback.

If it helps, some soaps that worked out well scent-wise at this end are:
Arlington, Windsor, MWF, Nancy Boy Signature, Barbershop, Eton College, Orange\Cedar, Lime, T&H 1805

Not a huge fan of Sandalwood or rose.

Fastback, I have only had samples a long way back and that may not count for much. But anyway.... The O&C smelled like an herbal lavender; perhaps not unlike LASS Woody Lavender. At the time I remember thinking that I personally preferred my floral lavender D.R. Harris better. The #88 smelled like clay to me; there was more to it than that, but I remember clay. As I recall they were both nice shaving soaps.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The soaps are almost unscented. I emailed C&S and asked if they were supposed to be so lightly scented, and the answer was yes. The clay smell is the tallow, there's not enough scent to cover it up.

still have the email and can forward if you like.

Cheers, Steve

Interesting post.
I shaved with the C&S O&C this past week.
It was indeed a light, faint lavender scent.
The performance was fine. Rich and slick as a tallow soap should be.
But just not much fragrance in the soap, especially in comparison with something like Arlington.
Anyway, it was a good shave and finished off well with O&C lavender cologne, which was pretty nice.
Now that I think about it...maybe, the problem with my soap puck is that I did not opt to buy the fancy metal jar??

$czech speake april 18 2014-0609s.jpg

I have both of these that you are interested in. I personally just absolutely love the performance of these pucks (valobra makes them). That being said, Oxford and Cambridge is my absolute favorite scent. It is described as lavender, but I usually dislike most lavender products. It is a much more fresh and lively scent to me that would make me think exactly of the picture posted on the front of sarimentos bottle. It seems to speak to me a bit more as a younger gent than other lavender scents maybe because it has a bit more cologne type smell to it. Now 88, I describe as a dark rose scent. It is a fairly complex scent with notes of rose with a tad bit of powder and maybe darker incense. Obviously C&S is just ridiculously expensive, but if you are looking for a performer valobra branded pucks are pretty incredible for their price.

Good info, I appreciate the responses.
I think I'll hold off on this purchase for now. Harris Almond is a soap that performs well and has little scent, no need to duplicate that currently.

I also hear P.160 may reenter the market through IB which sounds like a worthy purchase...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No argument about the C&S performance, it's top shelf, and what little scent there is, is as nice as might be expected. But to me what commands that price would be the scent, and there's just too little of it. They just have the balance wrong IMO.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom