What's new

What's most important for a good shave?

What's most important for a really good shave?

• Equipment

• Technique

• Both of the above equally

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Although having a nice razor and blade are good to have, I am discovering more and more these past few weeks that good technique trumps equipment. I think that the 75% / 25% (technique to gear) ratio that others have offered is about right.

After several years of DE shaving, my technique and prep skills are solid, and I can shave with any razor, from a Gillette Tech to a Muhle R41. However, I'm not one who can get an equally close shave with any razor. I've found the kit that produces consistent results for me, and I measure the quality by duration of BBS. For me, not all razors can be conquered by superb technique - most Gillette TTO's, for instance, give me pleasant shaves, but not long-lasting BBS results.

My conclusion is that both technique and equipment need to be optimal to deliver the best results. However, the equipment which delivers the best results varies widely by individual.

This absolutely nails the question with a perfect answer.

Quality product, balance, trial and error to learn which products and methods of shaving work best for you for your given circumstances, and experience

Last edited:
Yeah, but once you have the technique you won't be a cowboy if you're riding a burro.

$depositphotos_7883292-Cartoon-Mexican-riding-a-donkey-in-the-desert.jpg

Yeah, but once you have the technique you won't be a cowboy if you're riding a burro.

I think these 'cowboys' might beg to differ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDrL_51nHc

Doesn't appear to be quite as easy as it looks :wink2:

Joking aside... that's kind of my point. It actually takes ~more~ technique to get a good shave out of a 'burro.' The end game is a smooth result, regardless of the chosen beast of burden.

Do I appreciate fine razors, brushes, and software. Absolutely I do. Just ask SWMBO about my various AD's. Can I get a DFS out of a week-old disposable and some hotel bath soap. Yup. (Though it's going to take a good bit of time and effort :cowboy:)

The mexican certainly looks happier than the guys in the Youtube video, and so does the burro..... horses (or burros) for courses.

I really can't put present my opinion any better than my previous quote from gagarin:

After several years of DE shaving, my technique and prep skills are solid, and I can shave with any razor, from a Gillette Tech to a Muhle R41. However, I'm not one who can get an equally close shave with any razor. I've found the kit that produces consistent results for me, and I measure the quality by duration of BBS. For me, not all razors can be conquered by superb technique - most Gillette TTO's, for instance, give me pleasant shaves, but not long-lasting BBS results.

My conclusion is that both technique and equipment need to be optimal to deliver the best results. However, the equipment which delivers the best results varies widely by individual.

Great thread. My 2 cents is that Face prep is hugely important. However no matter how well you face prep if your technique is awful you will get a crappy shave. While if your prep is sub par but you have great technique you will still get a decent shave. As for equipment as long as my blade isn't dull or awful I can get a decent shave with most equipment.

I chose technique, as I consider lather, prep and the actual act of shaving all part of technique. Everything else is equipment, and matters much less.

Top Bottom