What's new

8/8 in the UK. New or Old?

I've started to really love my revisor 6/8 and shave with it everyday and thought I would try another size razor to add to my collection of one!! (I know, a danger of GAS attack)

So, it led me to wanting a 8/8.

Now after looking around, I can get a New Revisor for £150 or pay more for a vintage 8/8.

I did want to try another manufacturer of razor, but when it's cheaper new, why should I go vintage? Just aesthetics?

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I would go Vintage because as soon as you shave with a new one. POOF! It's VINTAGE.
Get a Western style Japanese, Sheffield chopper, or Eskilstuna Sweden straight and spice up that Den!

The only reason to go vintage other than personal preference, is if modern razors aren't of the quality of the vintages. I can't speak to the quality of modern Revisors. I can say that if you absolutely MUST have 8/8, that exact measurement is where there's a HUGE price jump in vintages. 7/8's are nice but unless they're a big name maker and polished to a shine, they don't sell like even ratty 8/8's do. If there's ever an excuse to buy a modern razor, I'd say it's that you want an 8/8 and the moderns are cheaper. I myself would just get a $50 or so 7/8 Vintage over a $250 modern 8/8 or $350 vintage 8/8, but that's just me.

I thought I'd try an 8/8 as I couldn't see a 7/8 feeling hugely different from my current razor, but I suppose every razor feels different even when the same size.

The 8/8s do look good though!!

Might invest in a couple of 7/8s and go from there.

Top Bottom