What's new

Hello all! New here, can you help with my Groomsman gifts?

Hello all! I am BRAND new here!! First post (WOOP!). I recently got started with DE shaving, picked up a Muhle R89 with a Rose Gold handle. Then, of course, that wasn't enough so I had to pick up a Merkur 38C. To go with that, I have AoS Sandalwood and the AoS brush (which needs to be replaced).

Anyway, I am getting married on May 30th, and as a gift for my Groomsman, I wanted to get them some DE supplies. I need some help with my decisions!! As far as the razor, I can't decide between the....

Merkur Model 180
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-H...ie=UTF8&qid=1397969550&sr=8-1&keywords=MERKUR

and the

Edwin Jagger DE89lbl
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RBF1PO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

to go with it, I think I have decided to get....

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MW2ZW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMAE8K0LRQPCN

and

Semogue 1305 Boar Brush
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OJS8E8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7ZX76BFULOCW

I am really only going to get them the 3 things, and try to spend less than $70 per guy. The razor is the thing I am mostly on the fence about, but would certainly listen to other recommendations!!

Look forward to hearing your responses and spending more time in the community!!

Thanks!

Brandon.

Welcome to b&b! And congrats on taking the plunge! You've got some good choices there. I am going to vote for the ej de89. Visually stunning, and a great razor for any experience level. The semogue is also a great brush choice.

Welcome to B&B!

I would first like to congratulate you for 'taking the plunge'.
I would suggest you go with the edwin jagger. They have an excellent track record of producing great looking and efficient razors. The fit and finish of an edwin jagger is far better than that of a merkur.

Sandalwood is a very selective scent.. Maybe go with something more common?!

You could also consider the omega pro 48. It is great brush. I personally prefer the omega over semogue.

Can I also suggest a blade sample pack. It'll complete the kit and will be a great value add. Should cost too much.

(35+15+10+10)$ = 70$

If you haven't already, head over to the HOF and tell us a little about yourself.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

I would first like to congratulate you for 'taking the plunge'.
I would suggest you go with the edwin jagger. They have an excellent track record of producing great looking and efficient razors. The fit and finish of an edwin jagger is far better than that of a merkur.

Sandalwood is a very selective scent.. Maybe go with something more common?!

You could also consider the omega pro 48. It is great brush. I personally prefer the omega over semogue.

Can I also suggest a blade sample pack. It'll complete the kit and will be a great value add. Should cost too much.

If you haven't already, head over to the HOF and tell us a little about yourself.

hmmm....I have heard that Sandalwood was one of the most common, can you tell me which are more common?! I haven't done that much research into the cream as I love the scent!

Just looked up that Omega and it's actually cheaper than the Semogue. Might go that route now!

Thanks to both of you for the tips!

hmmm....I have heard that Sandalwood was one of the most common, can you tell me which are more common?! I haven't done that much research into the cream as I love the scent!

Just looked up that Omega and it's actually cheaper than the Semogue. Might go that route now!

Thanks to both of you for the tips!

I'm sure they'll love the omega pro 48.
May I suggest the razorock line! They are loved here at B&B and have some rave reviews. It'll also cost lesser than TOBS.

Razorock classic is a great product.

If I wasn't absolutely sure if all the groomsmen's faces could handle it, I'd probably opt for a cream/soap for sensitive skin. If you're insisting on the sandalwood, maybe something like the Razorock Artisan Shaving Soap For Sensitive Skin in sandalwood.

Also, if you aren't absolutely sure they'll all like sandalwood, TOBS has the new sample boxes with 3x 10ml tubs.

I think with groomsmen's gifts, it's always nice to go with something that they can keep (and ideally use) for a while, so I vote brush over soap. While a razor would be very cool, that's a rather personal item (as in personal choice), so I'd probably steer clear of that.

Welcome to B&B, good choices all but I would shy away from the 1305, it's a great brush but the paint can chip. Some gents don't like Sandalwood scent so if you're getting soap or cream get something more neutral. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Also, if you want to stick with the TOBS you could consider doing the tubes instead of tubs for half the price. I know that isn't an option for every scent but it is available for the sandalwood.

I agree that the razor would be a big step for most people..Using a brush and soap is an easier transition for most. With that said how about a brush, I like the Semogue 1305 personally, but the Omegas are great too. Next you can get them a stand to display and dry the brush. You can finish off the gift with a soap/cream, I started with proraso red cream in the tube. If you shop wisely, all of this can be yours for probably under $50 shipped

Congrats!

I had another thought, those VanDerHagen kits they sell for 25$ at walmart and target... I personally think the brushes are "eh" but the price is worth the mug, stand and soap alone. Not to mention a decent back-up brush. That's just a thought.

If there is room in the budget maybe get an alum bar for each too. I think Amazon has 2 packs for $11. I know I loved when I found out how well they work for closing small cuts that you're bound to have.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Give them the razor. By giving them just the cream and brush is like giving them stationary and ink without the Mont Blanc pen.
Also consider inscribing their name on the razor.

congrats and welcome to B&B
i like your choices but i am a huge sandalwood fan
the posts about scent are valid concerns but this will happen with any scent you choose
i have both razors and they are practically interchangeable in their shaves with minor differences
just to make things more confusing for you, i'll mention the RazoRock Mission with the included 20 blades for $20
http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mission-3piece-double-edge-de-safety-razor
for looks, the EJ is the winner in my eyes but i prefer knurling in my grips

Have you considered the edwin jagger de86 or de87. They have the same head as the de89, but come with an ebony or ivory handle. They're both a couple dollars cheaper than the de89, and look better in my opinion. Either way though the edwin jagger line should be cheaper than the merkur if you shop around, and is just as good if not better.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I would get them ALL a Simpson Wee Scot. They will never forget the day.... Razors, soaps, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wee little badger from one of Great Britain's most storied firms ever? PRICELESS!

Attachments

• $WeeScot.jpg
    $WeeScot.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 103
Congrats! Just give them what you like and it will be fine. Presumably they are new to DE too, so we all have to start somewhere. If they try it and like it they will figure out what works best for them over time (just like you have already started to do). It sounds like you've made some pretty great choices. And every morning they will be reminded of how good life is when you have great friends...

The brush and cream sound like great choices. Semogue premium breaks in quickly and is a great brush. Only other option I might throw out is the 830, just because it's acrylic and won't have any paint issues. TOBS is my favorite cream so yeah I like that.

For the razor, I think the classiest one out there is the Muhle R89, mild for beginners, flawless finish, and if you get them through Connaught it's going to be about $35 each, which puts you under the $70 mark.

Congrats!

Great gift idea, congrats on the upcoming nuptials and glad you found us!

id get the EJ razor. As for the brush, I'd go with a natural wood handle as opposed to the painted 1305-which can chip rather easily. I'm a big fan of the Semogue 1800:

http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=69

Also, Proraso is a great soap. Bath and body works sells it rebranded as C.O. Bigelow. The small tubes are $5 each, and usually are buy 2 get 1 free. If you ask the clerk, there may be a 20% off coupon as well.

Top Bottom