What's new

using bath soap

Shouldn't be too much of an issue, so long as you are diligent in your prep work and technique. From what I've seen, it tends to work better for those with lighter beard growth. It can tend to be a bit more drying than a soap formulated for shaving, but if it works or you, by all means continue!

Bad things. Bath soap and shaving soap are two different animals. Bath soap is designed to remove grit and grime and shaving soap is designed to lubricate your beard. Only use bath soap for shaving as a last resort.

$dove1.jpg
Test lather of Dove Soap..

I use this bar soap and get fantastic results. I've been planning to introduce the B&B Shaving Soap Aficionado's to Grandpa's Soaps.
http://www.grandpabrands.com

I have been using several types of their soaps for face washing, bathing, etc. One that really caught my attention was this one. Orange Essence (with Olive Oil and Chamomile. http://www.grandpabrands.com/product...e-essence-soap . As soon as you remove the plastic wrapper,
your olfactory receptors are overwhelmed with the smell of fresh cut oranges, orange blossoms, and creamsicles.

It's made with quality ingredients and makes a wonderful lather with my Semogue Cerda Boar Brush. When I visit my shaving den I always remove the lid and take a whiff from my private orange grove. It's available from Amazon and several other vendors. Usually cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. Just google grandpa brands soaps.

Update: Recently I started adding a small almond size drop of C.O.Bigelow Shaving Cream to the Orange Essence bar. It just helps make the lather thicker.​

Last edited:
As you can see it depends on the soap. I posted a couple days ago on using Dove effectively and someone else mentioned that Neutrogena worked as well and Feltspanky also posted on Grandpa's as above. There may be others that work well as shave soaps, but you have to be careful since bath soaps aren't normally meant to be left on the skin for extended periods of time. I found Dove did not dry my skin but you would have to experiment.

As many pointed out on my thread: just stick to shaving soaps and creams but in a pinch you can use Dove and perhaps others but you might not get great results.

After a while, the results will show. The soap will dry your skin and cause irritation. It happens to me when i did it.

Good, does somebody have an idea of what chemical is in the shaving soap that is so essential that is missing from the bar soap?

Welcome to the forums, you are among friends here.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe it's any particular chemical that makes shaving soap different from regular soap. It's the formulation, the ratios and amounts of the ingredients that make it better for shaving. It would be nice to hear from someone who knows however.

I've used Ivory, Dove, Neutragena occasionally never had any adverse results.
I can say that one secret ingrediant in shaving soap is clay. I don't know what kind
clay they use but apparently it makes things "more slippy". So I've been told by a soapmaker.

I've used Ivory, Dove, Neutragena occasionally never had any adverse results.
I can say that one secret ingrediant in shaving soap is clay. I don't know what kind
clay they use but apparently it makes things "more slippy". So I've been told by a soapmaker.

I think you are referring to Bentonite clay, although other clays are used as well. Only caveat is that some some makers think that just putting clay in the soap automatically makes it a shaving soap no mater how it lathers or actually performs on the skin. I have one such block of "shaving soap" that I paid $7 for and it was a total mistake. It wasn't a shaving soap and it dried my skin.

I shaved with the neutrogena clear bar with cartridges forever, and couldn't resist trying it a couple times with a de. the lather dries pretty quickly as i remember. not a disaster, but not as good as a shave soap for sure.

A lot of people I've known over the years use Dove soap as a shave stick. To each their own.

And, in case you're wondering, there are quite a few really good soaps that are vegan.

I believe L'occitaine is a vegan soap and it works very well. I think palm and tallow are very similar in soaps.

For years, in fact for most of my adult life, I used nothing more than a regular bar of hand-soap to lather and a 10-cent disposable dual-blade razor from the 99-cent store to shave. I used a multi-blade cartridge razor (Gillette Atra?) with the canned foam in my teens and early years, but soon gave up on them as an unnecessary expense from which I derived no great satisfaction in any case. Only recently have I considered the possibility of actually taking pleasure in or from shaving!

What happens if you use bath soap instead of shave soap?:mellow:

Maybe nothing. If it is a soap you have been using to wash your face already, then probably nothing. And if performance doesn't matter so much to you, then nothing.

There are various reasons to use a shaving soap instead of a hand or bath soap, depending on the individual. Bath soap would suffice for most guys in most cases, but I dare say a proper shaving soap provides for a more pleasurable shave. The minimum that works often ain't worth it.

wjosephsimmons,
You are my hero! Damn, you sound like a very parsimonious guy. One frugal fellow. I'm too much of a spendthrift. Is this off topic?

Why, not at all, and thank you for the compliment! I went to a survey place in the mall once, and the young blokes there asked me what type of "foam" I used, etc. You should have seen their expressions when I told them I just used regular hand-soap from the grocery store! Truth be told, I've sported many a full beard in my time - 'stache, goatee at the least - so shaving amounted to little more than passing a blade over my neck and/or cheeks once or twice a week. When I read some of you guys talking about RAD, it just makes me smile.:001_smile

This is one of the first things that I thought about after seeing the price of some of the higher end soaps. I use the tiny grater that I bought at the thrift shop for experimenting. I grate a small amount into a bowl and lather up. I have also started adding a few drops of glycerine into the mix. The results have been mixed. All of the small soaps are from hotels, purchased at the thrift shop for $1.00 for a large bag full. The others are from a discount/odd lot shop.

I guess this thread was overdue. Some people had some stuff that needed to be uh... said. Far from being branded as a heretic, I'm welcomed as a visionary. I'm a man ahead of my time. Trouble is, I can only see five minutes ahead. funink, Perhaps, there is some Scottish in you. I hear a few Scots settled in Canada. You are genetically pre-disposed to be frugal.

cant say id get on board for this one. in dire situations ive used bar soap with cartidges and my face paid for it. of course, YMMV

Top Bottom