What's new

Shave Everyday With A Straight?

Okay. So do most of you gents shave everyday with a straight or do you skip days? Are any of you switch hitters between straights and DE razors?

I can shave everyday. Since February, I shave exclusively with a straight razor everyday and the only time that I have not is if I have been too busy to shave. It's odd but for me, I find straight razors less irritating than DE blades to the skin.

Frank

if i am shaving, i use a straight, so that almost makes it everyday, but some days i just don't shave out of sheer laziness ( or more than a few days) in a row but it's not because i don't want to or my skin isn't up to it... sometimes i am too tired to shave with anything.

I use a str8 everyday unless I'm running late, on vacation or too bleary-eyed from lack of sleep (shift work), then I use my Merkur Futur.

Used to be cartridge very 2-3 days depending on what work meetings I had, but now its straight every day..... even when I had to be up at 5:00 am for a triathlon.

I shaved everyday with my straights for months... to enhance/learn good technique, and because I loved it so much being someone that used to despise having to shave. Note that I tend to do just a WTG and hybrid WTG/XTG 2 pass or even just 2 WTG pass shaves with straights as that seems to be all I need and it tends to feel about the same as when I did DE 3 passes ending with ATG... not quite, but close enough that I don't mind skipping it.

Lately however, I've been on a 2, sometimes 3 day shave schedule. I've got a rough beard and love that even with longer growth the straight still effortlessly chops through it. It could just be in my head, but I feel like the longer hairs are actually softer than the one day stubble and makes the shave even smoother.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Every other day, every day, once a week. Since shaving is optional for me I don't have a set routine. I have used straights for several years now, with a DE once in a while for a change of pace. Haven't touched a cart in a loong time.

Every-other day. My beard is so light and slow growing, I have to wait. I used to like this...but now that I actually ENJOY shaving, I hate the wait! Lol! I also like shaving at night, end of the day. Less pressure and chance of interruptions.

Work from home but still shave every day. Too many neat toys to play with as I look forward to it every time.
5 yrs running.
But last summer on vacation I did slip and use an EJ DE for 4 days! It felt so wrong . Like a child's toy.

That's either your technique or honing. With a Gillette cartridge I would be raw by day 5. After I moved to jnats i have no problem going 7 days a week.

Good to know ill try someone else for honning one of my razor.
After that if its not working i will revise my technique.

Straight razor every day unless I have to be somewhere which requires air travel. Then it's the Merkur 33C which is pretty easy to replace if expropriated by an overzealous TSA person or otherwise vanishes.

Every other day for me. Last year I did a straights only year, it improved my technique immensely. I can really recommend newbies to take on such a challenge. Now I through in a DE, SE or even MBM now and then but I do not enjoy them as much as my straights.

Top Bottom