What's new

Lost my Featherginity today

Hi, all,

I've been back into DE for about a month, and had some mixed results along the way, even going so far as to consider throwing in the towel and re-growing my beard. Fortunately, I found a combination of things that worked, and even though the adventuresome spirit in me wants to try something different every shave (damn those samplers :biggrin1:), I have been forcing myself to go for consistency with "what works for me". Recent shaves have been pretty good overall, and in general, improving.

I've been slowly working my way through my sampler; Derbys, Sharks, Gillette SilverBlues, Astra SPs (these have been working great). Remaining to try were 7 O'Clock SS, Bluebird, and Feather. As I have been pretty good about sticking to the Astras, and focusing on my technique, I thought today I might be ready to try a Feather.

(Apologies in advance for the Monty Python reference). "Behold the cave of Caerbannog...that's no ordinary razor blade, it's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered razor blade you ever set your eyes on! It'll do you a treat, mate....look at the bones! (Boris gets his head chewed off by the rabbit) I warned you, but did you listen, oh, no, you know, it's just a harmless little razor blade, isn't it, well, it's always the same, do they listen to me, oh, no....Run away! Run away!" It has such a reputation, you know :biggrin1:

Tentatively I opened the package, extracted a shiny new blade, and loaded up my R89/Bulldog II. Prepped with shower, Proraso pre-shave, and lathered up some MWF. While part of me expected each stroke to remove a layer of skin, I was very careful to use as light of a touch as possible and proceeded to do my usual three passes XTG, XTG, and ATG.

With most of the previous blades I've used, I've had to do quite a bit of touchup/buffing on my cheeks even after my usual 3 passes to get what I would consider a close shave. With the Feather today, I got amazing results with the ATG and much less touchup, and no irritation. Here it is several hours later, and I'm, amazed at the closeness of the shave. I'm amazed at the Feather, and if today's experience continues, I'm thinking this may move up my favorites list.

Last edited:
To continue the Python reference.... Glad you didn't soil your armour.. ;)

Give the Polsilver SI a try too. They are very sharp too but a bit more forgiving and smooth.

To continue the Python reference.... Glad you didn't soil your armour.. ;)

Give the Polsilver SI a try too. They are very sharp too but a bit more forgiving and smooth.

LOL...I was beginning to wonder if anyone else here had seen "The Grail"...

Thanks for the Polsilver SI suggestion; I'll grab a pack on my next order.

Don't fear the Feather. The Feather is your friend. Just treat it with respect and it'll do you right.

Feather blades have no equal in my eyes. Sure, the blades cost a little more, but for good reason. Recently I haven't used anything but Feather blades in my Feather AS-D1. They are the sharpest and smoothest blades for my face.

I used a feather for the first time the other day. Shaved twice so far with them. Close shave with a few nicks but not as scary as I thought.

I only started DE shaving two months ago, and I used my first Feather blade this weekend in my Merkur 23C. I got my best shave so far, and it was the first time I didn't get at least one nick

This is the holy feather razor blade. Thou shalt do three passes with the holy feather blade. Not two, not four, and five is right out.

I'm building up to trying my feathers, but I keep ruining a good run of shaves with a crap one that makes me rethink my technical ability. I'll get to them eventually! I'm encouraged by the fact that you like them though.
Sorry, no Monty Python reference from me!

I'm building up to trying my feathers, but I keep ruining a good run of shaves with a crap one that makes me rethink my technical ability. I'll get to them eventually! I'm encouraged by the fact that you like them though.
Sorry, no Monty Python reference from me!

I'll help you out here – "merely a flesh wound"

;-)

Top Bottom