What's new

Fat Handled Tech - am I going to regret it?

proxy.php

I just purchased a Fat Handled Tech. Initially, I rejected this type of razor because I read that it was a really mild shaver and I thought I needed a more aggressive razor. As it turns out over the last year, I ended up selling several of what were considered more aggressive razors. My Fat boy and my Slim ended up as my go to razors. I was using them at a setting of of 7 or 8 until one day I decided to see how low I could go on these razors and still get a good shave. I found out that I could get excellent shaves at a setting of 4 or 5. If I could get a good shave going milder then why not? It got me thinking about milder razors and I came across a listing for a near mint, Fat Handled Tech with the triangle slots so I bought it. I paid a little more than I thought I would have to for a Tech but given its excellent condition, I thought it was a fair price. I don't know if it's cool here or not to say how much I paid or to ask for opinions if I over paid but if it's OK, I'll discuss it if someone asks.

Anyway, given that I now like shaving with my Fat Boy and Slim at a setting of 4 or 5 and get good shaves, am I likely to enjoy this Fat Handled Tech or is it likely to be too mild and I'm going to regret it? I've been wet shaving for just over 1-1/2 years so I have my technique down and can adapt quickly to a new razor. What do you think?

proxy.php

Last edited:
Really nice looking razor. As it is pre war it is a very nice find. I have several different style razors some very mild some not so mild. I am able to get a pretty good shave from all. But I have found that I can shim the very mild razors to match my needs, so I can not see your new fat handle tech as any negative. Congrats on your find I am sure you will be very happy with the shave, Techs are great pre war or later.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You will enjoy that triangle slotted razor; Very high quality and made of brass. Some (but not all) of the later oblong slotted ones are not.

I enjoy my triangle slotted Techs as much as the Slim and Fatboy. Good shavers, all. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Pre-War Techs are a great razor, toss a nice sharp blade in it and you won't regret it. It may not replace your Fat Boy or Slim but when your face has had a tough day and you're looking for a nice smooth shave it will be the one you'll want to grab!

Nice pickup! My pre-war fat handle tech is my favorite razor...compared to the Fatboy/Slim, the Tech's lighter weight and low-profile head makes it really easy to maneuver in tight spots like the upper lip.

That is one clean looking pre-war tech you found!!!!!

I have a few tech razors and use them occasionally. Should use them more often but I just have too many razors to use them all :sad:

You won't regret it at all. That's a sweet looking and sweet shaving razor. Your other razors may start to get jealous after a while.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
You shouldn't regret it; it's a fine razor. I'm not sure what setting a Tech would compare to, but I would think 3-4. It's certainly not as mild as the lower settings. If you've got your technique down, it should be just fine. My first Tech was unbearably mild compared to my NEW, until my technique improved. Since yours is a pre-war, it's on the (relatively) aggressive side of the Tech family.

You won't regret this. The Techs were produced from 1938-1979 for a reason - they were great shavers that worked for a lot of men. that's still the case. I have some more aggressive razors, like an Old and several News, but I think aggression can get over-hyped here. Just find what works for you and enjoy it irrespective of what others may do.

I have one, not as minty as yours, but it sure feels nice in my hand. It's milder than my 40's SS, I'm pretty new so I imagine sharper blades or a shim might be the ticket for it. It's s keeper, and so is my SS

Just picked one of these up (1932, Made in Canada) yesterday at a flea market, and shaved with it last night (after cleaning of course). Loved it, and plan to make it a part of my rotation.

Picked one up last week and it's a great smooth shave. Not as efficient as my 2011 R41 of course, but I got a DFS in 2 passes that I didn't even notice the blade was in the Tech. It will certainly find a spot in my weekly rotation.

I'm happy to hear all the good words on the Tech. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and should probably have it by next weekend. I paid $33 and change for the razor plus a 5-pack of blades delivered. I'm sure that's on the high end of going Tech prices but it looks to be in pretty great shape for a 70+(?) year old razor.

Congratulations on a great find.

I lean towards Cadet OC and safety bar razors, both moderately on the aggressive side. However there are a few "mild" razors that work really well for me and Tech's are one of them, particularly the pre-war, triangular slot razors.

Perhaps there's something special about the geometry of the classic design that makes the Tech, a gentle, Grand Slam of a design, but they always do a great job of shaving and are a pleasure to use. I'll add that the minimalist, basic design makes for a fine looking razor to boot.

Congrats! I am sure will you enjoy using it!

I have a triangular slot FH Tech and love it. It is my "go to" travel razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom