What's new

Whipped Dog

Just ordered a 22mm silvertip from larry. I can't stress enough how helpful and professional he has been! For 35 bucks his prices can't be beat imo. (5 dollars extra for the knot to be drilled deeper)

Now I play the waiting game on him to get his knots in and my order shipped. I am way too excited to trade in my pure badger for a silver tip!

He is great to work with. I've got two of his brushes, and since he's about a half hour from me, eh let me come by his place one Sunday to pick it up. Very nice guy! We sat and talked about shaving for a while and he gave me a crash course in brushes.

I'm so excited to get my first silver tip. Now I need to order some new soap and aftershave to break in the brush with. Proraso just isn't working for me lol. Now I just can't decide between some synergy or imperial shave soap.

Last edited:
I'm so excited to get my first silver tip. Now I need to order some new soap and aftershave to break in the brush with. Proraso just isn't working for me lol.

I believe Whipped Dog is the best value in shaving brushes. The silvertip knots are excellent, and while comparable or better brushes are certainly available, none are remotely as inexpensive. Larry is also very friendly and professional, will gladly walk you through the ordering process and even permits customization of his brushes, either loft or choice of resin or ceramic handle.

However, I cannot imagine how you're having trouble with Proraso. It's one of the easiest soaps/creams to lather and it's slick and protective. I've used far too many soaps and creams over the years, including some of the most expensive, and yet my daily "go-to" soap is Proraso White. YMMV.:biggrin1:

In any event, I hope Larry receives his shipment of knots soon because I'm confident that you'll enjoy your new brush.

I hope he gets them soon also lol.

As for proraso,keep in mind that it is my first soap that I have used. After using it for 2-3 weeks daily and then going back to AOS lavender shaving cream it just seemed like my shaves with proraso were mediocre. So now I need to invest in either synergy or imperial to see if it is proraso or me lol. It is probably just me.

Are you using Proraso soap, or cream? If soap, try the cream, it's great. If you have a Bath and Body Works store near you, you can get the CO Bigelow cream, which is re-branded Proraso Green.

I am using the white soap tub.

The AoS Lavender is an excellent cream, albeit a little expensive. Since you're a new wet shaver, you're probably just having an easier time creating a comfortable lather with a easy, soft cream like the AoS as compared to the Proraso soap (or croap - Italian soft soap). As your technique improves, I believe that you will begin to appreciate the Proraso.

Guzziknight also offers a good suggestion in his recommendation to try a Proraso cream. They are as easy to lather as AoS, and can be purchased for a fraction of the cost. You might also enjoy the menthol kick of Proraso Green / C.O. Bigelow as the weather becomes warmer.

Good luck and good shaving!

I'm still waiting for mine as well . . . I think the knots are arriving via snail mail. Literally.

$snail-mail.gif

I hope mine is on its way by next week then lol. I placed my order today after emailing him back and forth all week about his brushes.

Top Bottom