What's new

DavosBlade Shaving Journal

This journal started out as part of an introductory post. On the odd chance that my journey might help a fellow newbie, I decided to consolidate the posts, and add new posts, to a thread with a more descriptive title. So, here goes.

Day 1
After a childhood of memories of my father's Old Spice shaving soap mug in the bathroom, and his recent passing, I finally used a safety razor for the first time tonight. This forum provided this lurker with all the tips and suggestions that I needed to get started on the glorious wet shaving path. I like to think that my Dad would be proud of me, and the experience somehow makes me closer to him.

The arsenal this evening was ... Col. Conk Apothecary Shaving Mug (I don't have my dad's yet), Parker pure badger brush, Edwin Jagger DE8911, Feather DE blade, Ogallala Bay Rum Sandalwood shaving soap and aftershave. It was a bloodless first shave, which was miles more than I expected. I love the aftershave ... Almost oily, which I never experienced before.

So, thanks for all of your advice, and helping me connect with my dad.

Day 2
Thanks all for the warm welcomes. A quick update and NooB question.

As I reported above, my first shave was last night. I don't shave at night, but when all my tools/toys arrived, I couldn't wait for the morning. I am not generally an aftershave kinda guy, mostly because I have a fairly sensitive sense of smell. That sense of smell is wonderful for picking out nuances in a glass of wine. But, makes most aftershaves, colognes, etc. just intolerable. Well, the Ogallala Bay Rum Sandalwood aftershave was great at first. A bit strong for me, but soothing. And then I woke up in the middle of the night about ready to gag on the smell. Note to self, don't put scented aftershave on before bed!!!!

Second shave was this morning. I got a bit more aggressive with the razor this time. Not bloodless, but nothing to call 911 over. Just a few dots around the chin. I haven't reached the BB smooth level yet, but feel like I am on the right track. If it was perfect the first time, it wouldn't be a Zen-thing.

Now the NooB question. Do you keep your shaving soap puck in the mug at all times, or do you keep them separate? So far, I have kept them separate ... adding some soap to the brush and then generating the foam in the cup. Thoughts?

Day 3
Thanks to all for the continuing warm welcomes and tips!

This morning was my first "real" business-day morning shave. After getting tips/directions from you all, and suffering through two days of strong, long-lasting aftershave, I decided to change things up.
- Replaced the 2 shave-old Feather blade for an Astra SP. My initial reaction is that the Feather was a bit sharper, but not enough to make a difference if there is a cost difference favoring the Astra.
- Used Col. Conk's Amber glycerin shave soap (a freebie with my mug), and used the technique linked above. (soak brush, wring out extra water, load brush outside bowl, create lather in bowl). Whether it was the technique or the shave soap, I don't know. But, I quickly worked up much more lather than I ever had with the Ogallala soap. It easily lasted through 3 passes, and I had plenty left over.
- I focused on short (~1") strokes and remembered to use both sides of the blade. The short strokes definitely help. I still have to think to turn the razor over before cleaning in the sink. After 40 years of stroke-rinse, stroke-rinse, it is funny that I have to concentrate on stroke, flip, stroke, rinse.
- Used good old Clubman aftershave. It doesn't have that nice oily feel of the Ogallala, but I doubt I will pass out over the perpetual scent. Not that the Ogallala scent is bad, it is just omnipresent ... it reminds me of the saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" ... there is no absence once you apply the Ogallala!

I changed too many variables to know for sure, but I think the short stroke technique resulted in my closest shave yet. Almost BBS.

That is it for Day 3.

Day 4

Since I did not originally purchase pre-shave oil, I've been reading up on various options. Well, I stumbled onto several threads that said Noxzema makes a great and cheap pre-shave. There were also some references to SheaMoisture African Black Soap shave creme. Well, a quick stop at Walgreens, several buy 1, get one 50% off, deals later, and I have enough of both to last quite some time. And part of my switch to a double edge razor was to save money. Ha!!!!!

This morning I applied the Noxzema first and let it set for awhile. Then I applied the Col. Conk Amber glycerin shaving soap on top. I can't tell if it resulted in a closer shave, but the shaving soap sure stayed longer and was thicker with the Noxzema underneath. The downside is that the Noxzema holds onto the razor and, as a result, the razor requires more washing attention.

During my last razor pass I used the old (to me) technique of passing one hand over my face to find rough spots, and immediately taking a pass with the razor in the same direction. It worked well and I have the closest double edge shave so far.

Day 5
Saturday, my first Saturday since starting on the wet shave journey. Instead of taking my time and enjoying a long morning shave ritual, I had to get up and get going.

First, I swapped out my 2 shave Astro blade for a new Feather blade. I had some blemishes after yesterday’s close shave. Blemishes on a 50 year old … there are other ways to feel young again, and that is not the recommended route.

So, I decided to give the ShaeMoisture African Black Soap shave crème a shot. I got my face wet and applied layer of the crème and let it sit for a bit. Then, decided to add some Ogallala sandalwood on the top. Well, unlike yesterday’s experience with the Noxzema/Col Conk Amber combination, these two did not seem to play nice. The crème seems to act as an anti-foam agent. Nonetheless, the first pass went well without an incident.

For the second pass I just used the Ogallala, which was fine but uninspiring.

For the third pass I decided to give the crème a second chance. I put some in my shaving mug (it says it can be applied with a brush) and tried to create a lather. No Go! So, I loaded some more Ogallala on the brush and tried to work up a lather. Almost a no go. Yup, that crème sure is an anti-lather agent.

I finished my third pass using the anti-lather, and then cleaned my face with Noxzema. The Noxzema sure will wake you up after a fresh shave. Then I finished it off with good old clubman. No I at least smell like a 50 year old (that is, back in 1950, or so I imagine).

All in all, I didn’t get the closest shave ever. I can’t tell if the Feather or the Astro blade works better in my DE8911. I will have to alternate a few more times, and keep the other variables the same, to really tell.

"After 40 years of stroke-rinse, stroke-rinse, it is funny that I have to concentrate on stroke, flip, stroke, rinse."

​LOL.......................good to have you here.

That was great!

I trust you will continue on a daily basis.

Mickey

P.S.
I was thinking of writing my shaving autobiography.
I decided against it. Too long. Too boring. Only one uninspiring character. No Plot.
M.O.

Last edited:
P.S.
I was thinking of writing my shaving autobiography.
I decided against it. Too long. Too boring. Only one uninspiring character. No Plot.
M.O.

LOL (or that is what the kids tell me to type).... The only two things I've got going for me, is that mine is short and I'm not the brightest bulb on the eucalyptus tree.

Day 6 -- Easter Sunday Morning

It is Easter Sunday morning. What a glorious
day!

So, when and how to shave? I judiciously decided that shaving before our 6:30am sunrise service was a non-starter. The other congregants at the park in their just-rolled-out-of-bed finest were not going to mind. As long as I didn't wear my pajamas, everything was going to be fine.

So, that meant I could wait to get home and do things right. if you haven't picked up on it by now, I haven't been following the shower first, then shave, route. Call me a rebel. Actually, call me a guy who has 25+ years of roll out of bed, brush teeth, shave, shower, dress (suit and tie), go to work, all in under 30 minutes, ritual under my belt. A guy can handle only so much change at one time! Today would be different.

After returning home and fixing breakfast for me and my son (the ladies had fled the car and were long back fast asleep), I locked myself in the bathroom and surveyed the weaponry. After a moment or two, the software and process was decided. While a hot bath was filling, I whipped up some Col. Conk Amber glycerin shaving soap. Applied it with my brush and worked it into my beard with my fingers (we won't say massaged, because guys don't say that in Texas). Then it was time to multi-task ... a bath
with a hot towel over my face. A quick 10 minute nap later, my beard was suitably softened, and time to head back to the sink.

I replenished the waiting shaving lather, applied it generously, and set to work with my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shave-old Feather blade. Stroke, flip, stroke, rinse in scalding hot water. Then str…..whoa! (Note to self, metal, is both a great conductor and retainer of heat!!! That wasn’t a problem with the plastic quadrillion blade razor I used to use.) The first pass WTG done, more lather, then AcrossTG. To do, or not to do a third pass, now that is the question. I opted to give my face a break and stopped there. How to finish? I love the feel of that oily Ogallala sandalwood aftershave, but do I dare risk the scent? It is Easter, so I threw caution to the (odorous) wind and went for it. Face feels great. Might have to wash off the scent after brunch, but I will enjoy the scent while I can.

I will definitely have to repeat this experience next weekend.

Happy Easter.

Last edited:
Day 7 & 8

To get more in line with my typical 30 minute weekday rise and leave the house schedule, the last two days I used my tried and true Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. A quick application by hand and I'm off shaving. So far, it has worked great and with less irritation than I experience the first few days. Maybe my face is merely adjusting to the DE razor.

Apart from that, I can tell you that a 2-day old Feather blade is sharper than a brand new Personna Red Pack (Israel) blade in my DE8911.

Day 9

Swapped out the Personna Red Pack (Israel) blade with a Derby Extra this morning. The Derby Extra is definitely sharper than the Personna. Maybe not as sharp as the Feather/Astra. So far, for the money, the Astra is the current winner. Using West Coast Shaving Prices, the Astra (100 for $18) is half as much as the Feather ($100 for $40), and even less than the Derby (100 for $20).

Day 10

I kept the Derby Extra in this morning, and retried the Noxzema thin prep layer w/ Col. Conk Amber Glycerin lather over the top. I then did a second pass using only the Col. Conk lather. Before jumping in the shower I applied SheaMoisture African Black Soap shave creme more as a moisturizer. Post-shower was the tried and true Old Spice.

I still hate the residue that Noxzema leaves on the razor, as it requires immediate attention, thus wasting a few morning minutes. But, the combination worked great! The Derby held up well on its second shave, and I may even have enough patience to keep it for a third try.

May 25 2014 - Update

The journey and product acquisition has continued. A few quick updates ...

I have fallen in love with Stirling Soap products. As a Texan, Stirling's Texas on Fire shave soap just rocks. But, you do need to dedicate a brush to that soap ... the campfire smell may never leave that brush. I'm glad I bought some of their cheap closeout brushes. Now, I can't wait to buy the newly released matching aftershave. The scent is manliness to the Nth degree. I even find myself laughing at work ... I'm an attorney, work in a sleek contemporary office, and I smell like I just rolled around in a fire pit!

Astra SPs clearly won my blade test. Just ordered a 100 pack from Amazon for a tad more than $10. A year's worth of blades for that price, amazing!

Of course, I continue to WetShaveRationalize ... Saw the Bath and Body Buy-3-Get-3 sale. Had wanted to try the Proraso Green shave soap, found out the C.O. Bigelow soap was merely a rebrand of Proraso, so quickly decided that buying a lifetime supply of never-tried shave soap for $30 was perfectly reasonable. No wonder my lovely intelligent bride surrendered a bathroom drawer to my new "hobby."

I'm over 50, and I never looked forward to shaving. Now I catch myself day dreaming about what soap/aftershave combination I will use the next day. Shoot, I even shaved twice in one day, just to try a different combination. Yeah, I've got a problem. And the biggest problem is that y'all are Enablers!!!!!

Top Bottom