What's new

Bar handle New Type open comb. Is it just me.

attachment.php

I'm on the point of getting rid of mine. (pic above is from wiki)
I only have tried it a few times with a couple of my favourite blades & my short comb New just seems way too mild. I'm talking milder than my DE89 & Tech.
Loaded a Feather in it today.
WTG/ATG passes done & barely DFS. I have mild/moderate thickness blonde beard.
The comb marks are obvious, leaving plenty of cream on my face during the passes. I never have this problem with my Old Type. Never get any stubble left under my jawline with 2 passes using my O/T.
I don't think it's poor technique because I can get BBS with my O/T, Tech & DE89.
I know there are many fans on this site, with "comfortable" often the first word used with regard to this razor. For me instead of "comfortable" read "inefficient".
Anyone else think this is a massively overrated razor?

I have no experience with the SC, but I do with a LC, and while I wouldn't classify it as an aggressive razor, I still think it is pretty effective and it's one of my favorite razors for sure.
For what I read the SC is just a little less "aggressive" than the LC, but I don"t know, I haven"t tried one yet.
Just a thought, now reading your post again, you mention plenty of lather left on your face between passes. Maybe a shallower angle would work better for you?

On a side note, I do consider the Old Type noticeably more aggressive than the NEW.

Thanks. I have probably 3 or 4 more shaves left with the blade, and for me Feathers are best on shaves 2,3 & 4 so I will try the shallower angle as that makes sense.
Weirdly, blade exposure seems to be about the same as my O/T, so I guess it must be something to do with the head geometry or comb that renders it far less efficient than the Old.

I have this razor and it's one of my favorites.
In fact, I also have the LC and find no difference in the type of aggressiveness between the two. Love the LC as well...
I don't know what to tell you...The New SC and LC are not overly aggressive razors. With my Fatip...If I don't pay attention, There will be blood.

FWIW, on my face, tracks in the lather mean my angle is closer to "paint scraper" than "straight edge." If I then raise the angle of the handle away from the face the shave becomes much closer. I do prefer the LC to the SC, but the SC still provides a very close shave.

Have not tried the short comb version, I have a long comb bar handle new, and it is my favorite DE razor.
For all vintage open combs, make sure that blade alignment is correct before use.
Being offset only slightly will affect your shave.

I love my SC New. I wouldn't call it my favorite but it is right up there in the mix and is always in the rotation. As far as it being aggressive, I would say not at all but I do find it very efficient. Like Blast said, if you are leaving lather on your face I would guess it to be a blade angle issue as well. If you are going about it just like any of your other razors, that might be a problem. Any time I get a new razor I start from scratch. Put the top cap flat on my face, start moving down while making small adjustments until I get the blade angle just right. Good luck. I hope you fing the love for that razor that a lot of share here at the forum.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
FWIW, on my face, tracks in the lather mean my angle is closer to "paint scraper" than "straight edge." If I then raise the angle of the handle away from the face the shave becomes much closer. I do prefer the LC to the SC, but the SC still provides a very close shave.

^^This.

You need to adjust the angle, there should be no lather tracks after a pass.

At first I thought the NEW LC was too aggressive for me, It took me a while to get the hang of it until after a week of shaves. Now I think its pretty mild even with a bulldog handle.

Last edited:
Wouldn't call the short-comb New mild at all. Mine seems on the aggressive side to me. I like using it on occasion but it begins to get the better of me if used daily for a week or so. It's a razor that requires more time and attention than I generally give when I'm getting ready for work on weekdays.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
^^This.

You need to adjust the angle, there should be no lather tracks after a pass.
Definitely this. Experiment until no soap with each pass; these are quality built razors that get a lot of love on B&B and an all time favorite of mine. Don't give up on it.

I love my News - LC, SC, and DeLuxe. That is also what I love about this hobby, There are so many choices of razor, soap, blade, brush, etc. that there is something for everyone.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Definitely put some more time into it. If the comb is leaving tracks, the angle's off. Get that straightened out and you'll have a much better shave. I can't guarantee that it will be the shave you're looking for, YMMV, but the shave will be better, and you feel better for giving the razor a fair shake.

Ok so I take it back.
Just had a BBS WTG/ATG shave with the Bar Handle New + Feather. It was surprising how shallow I had to make the angle to get the same results as the Old Type, but anyway it was an excellent shave. Thanks for the help gents. :001_smile

Top Bottom