What's new

Unknown Escher label

It would be of help on the color to see a slurry i think. congrats on a fine hone. I won't say I have not seen that label before but if I have I don't remember it. Its certainly not one of the more common ones.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Wow that's cool. I've never seen an escher label like that one either. I just did a 30 min google image search but didnt find anything like that. The escher and co font is really cool. Sorry I'm not being of any help here, but congrats on an awesome, unique stone!

David

Seems to be one of the older ones just concerning the artwork around, although its made for the export market as just having the instructions in english...so probably a export artwork....?

I have collected nearly 60-100 labels now, this one never appeared online or at ebay....

...my guess would be that is has been sold around 1900...most of the US Trading Companies to name here f.ex. Theo A. Koch, Sears and Roebrueck, etc..mostly began selling german water hones nearly the end of the 19th century (1890) till the start of the first Worldwar, as looking at Sears the latest stones beeing sold 1937....

I think its a Lightgreen or a yellowgreen one....

Last edited:
Thanks for the information so far! I'm not home right now, so I can't upload a slurry picture. Maybe some measurements are helpfull though.

The stone is 14.7x3.1 mm (roughly 6"x1.5") wide and 1.8mm thick.

Best regards,
Patrick

[FONT=&amp]That is a very interesting Label and I have not seen one like this before. Contrary to most opinions here and in the german forums, I personally think, this is not one of the older labels, but it might instead be one of the last Escher & Co. labels printed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The oldest Escher labels were only wording without any specific signs (like the typical cup) or graphics. Then I think the cup labels came and had been the typical identification mark for Escher stones for a long time. They even existed after 1923, when Escher & Co merged into the Deutsche Schleifmittel AG. Parallel to the cup label came the first Barber scene labels, in the beginning only black color and relatively rough in the presentation. Next step was a red colored frame around the text, the barber scene became more detailed. Last step was a real two colored label, the writing black and red ornaments and really detailed, sharp illustration of the barber scene. This was already a color print, the red color appears not only within a small frame line but area-wise. I am no expert in printing technology but according to my information colored screen printing began around the year 1910 and I think razor hones were not the first thing equipped with colored printed labels. So I think this label was not glued to the stone at least before 1920 - but of course I could be wrong.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Also the wording “Made in Germany” is not seen on older labels. “German made” or “German mark” - both grammatically questionable I think - was printed on the older labels. Actually “Made in Germany” was created by the Britisch government in the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century, but as a sign to declare the at this time bad quality german products. In the beginning 20 th century this wording turns into the opposite because the quality of german products became better and better so that this term finally was used by german companies as a sales argument.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But anyway it is a very interesting labeled stone that you have. And the label has nothing to do with the quality of the hone. As already mentioned elsewhere, the color seems to be the typical thuringian gray, which exist in all shades and mainly belongs to the light green layer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Congrats to the catch and enjoy honing![/FONT]

A pity that this one is already listed again....its a real keeper though the label was never seen by anyone else....

Yeah it was a tough desicion wether to sell it but I'd rather expand my hone base than have that one price possession. I'd like to dabble in jnats and coticules and since I already have a vintage 9"x2" thuri from my grandfather this one seemed superfluous.

Yeah it was a tough desicion wether to sell it but I'd rather expand my hone base than have that one price possession. I'd like to dabble in jnats and coticules and since I already have a vintage 9"x2" thuri from my grandfather this one seemed superfluous.

Dabbling in Jnats and coticules is not the worst :)

A pity that this one is already listed again....its a real keeper though the label was never seen by anyone else....

I've seen this label a few times. The first I remember was in 2010 on eBay. It was a 9" and went pretty cheap because people were arguing over the possibility it was a forgery/copycat from the escher era and not a "real" escher. It was damned silly in my opinion, obviously it's an Escher, but people get really antsy about these things. Even back then a 9" was a $300-500 hone.

Good luck on the sale.

Top Bottom