What's new

DE Razor Shaving Is Improving More Than Just Grooming!

Recently started DE razor shaving and love it. It's now an enjoyable ritual instead of a boring chore and I get better shaves. After a bit of web research in early April 2014, I started using a Lord L6 razor / Feather New Hi Stainless blades / Parker synthetic brush / Proraso Green pre-shave, shaving cream, and aftershave splash. I've had to use a styptic pencil two times in my thrice weekly shaves for the past 3 weeks.
My obsession has since led me to purchase a Muhle R41, 15 samples of at least 5 blades each, and 8 sample aftershave splashes. I'll begin using the R41 this Monday with a Feather blade. Once that blade is done, I'll start comparing it to the various sample blades. I'll also start comparing the fragrances and effects of the various aftershave splashes.
This all-encompassing obsession is evolving to look at shaving soaps and considering lotions/balms for the aftershave application. It also means that I now want to look into cologne/eau de toilette.
I'm now considering "cheating" on my SuperCuts hairdresser and going to a barber shop once in a while for an old school cut&shave. Considering going to Baxter Finley on LaCienega as its nearby. Now that I'll have my head taken care of, I might consider getting in better shape and trying to look sharper. Probably read more intellectual books too!
Jeez, this shaving thing's got me improving more than my personal grooming!
Anybody else going through this transformation?

Congrats joining the DE community and welcome. Better shaves do make one want to improve other aspects of grooming. I experienced the same thing when I started.

Welcome!

I know just what you are talking, I was thinking last night "I should work on my penmanship" WHAT?

Recently started DE razor shaving and love it. It's now an enjoyable ritual instead of a boring chore and I get better shaves. After a bit of web research in early April 2014, I started using a Lord L6 razor / Feather New Hi Stainless blades / Parker synthetic brush / Proraso Green pre-shave, shaving cream, and aftershave splash. I've had to use a styptic pencil two times in my thrice weekly shaves for the past 3 weeks.
My obsession has since led me to purchase a Muhle R41, 15 samples of at least 5 blades each, and 8 sample aftershave splashes. I'll begin using the R41 this Monday with a Feather blade. Once that blade is done, I'll start comparing it to the various sample blades. I'll also start comparing the fragrances and effects of the various aftershave splashes.
This all-encompassing obsession is evolving to look at shaving soaps and considering lotions/balms for the aftershave application. It also means that I now want to look into cologne/eau de toilette.
I'm now considering "cheating" on my SuperCuts hairdresser and going to a barber shop once in a while for an old school cut&shave. Considering going to Baxter Finley on LaCienega as its nearby. Now that I'll have my head taken care of, I might consider getting in better shape and trying to look sharper. Probably read more intellectual books too!
Jeez, this shaving thing's got me improving more than my personal grooming!
Anybody else going through this transformation?
What is the old school cut shave about, just learn from our B&B straight razor forums and do it your self:biggrin1: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/79-Straight-Razor-Shave-Clinic

I used to use instant-shine on my dress shoes, now I started using wax polishing wax with horsehair brushes.

Yeah, B&B has that effect. It goes even further. It has triggered me to take a critical look at other grooming habits and therefore an interest in changing them up, such as replacing Dial bar soap and Head & Shoulders shampoo with Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap (which unfortunately is expensive, but it sure does smell great and feel clean). It has coincided with, and greatly supported, the beginning of an interest in cigars and pipes...in fact I now probably spend more time in BL than the rest of B&B. The original trigger for that was unrelated, but support from BL has really made it much more interesting and fun.

Top Bottom