What's new

First rescale

These started out as a set for my Universal but they just fit my Sextoblade perfectly. I'll probably take the bolts out and peen them.Their not up to the art work some here create but they were better then the broken original.
So here we go, cocobolo rosewood with brass wedge:
$SAM_0213.jpg
$SAM_0214.jpg

Attachments

• $SAM_0216.jpg
    $SAM_0216.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
  • $SAM_0215.jpg
    $SAM_0215.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 60
Okay I took it apart and tried peening it. I can't get the wedge tip down. It has no problem with the bolt. I'm guessing it is that the bolt is tighter than the peening. If I keep tapping will it tighten up? Can a wedge be too wedgy for a pin? I may just go back to the bolt.

Very nicely done!

I'm not sure about your questions concerning the pinning though. You used a bolt and nut, and now you want to flatten/pin it into place?

Ahh I see. Then use a file and slowly file it away, or use the dremel with a grinding wheel but be very very careful. I imagine you can't unbolt it?

You can put some electrical tape before filing the pin away to protect the scales. I can't tell you how many times I hit the scales by accident and needed to resand everything flush.

I have already separated everything. ( I know all about nicking the scales while filing)
The issue I'm having is I can't get the pin tight enough to keep the scales from separating a little from the wedge at the tip.

I have already separated everything. ( I know all about nicking the scales while filing)
The issue I'm having is I can't get the pin tight enough to keep the scales from separating a little from the wedge at the tip.

Ok I understand now. I've had this happen to me as well on occasions. Its usually a matter of the scales or wedge not being perfectly flat. But, even if everything is perfectly flat, I think it may still happen somehow. I will often use CA or epoxy to get everything tight together. Maybe someone else will come up with a better suggestion.

This may sound stupid. is there a point in which the pin will stop mushrooming? It seems that it has stopped tightening. Is it possible that the pin was slightly too long?

The less you have to go the harder it gets to get there.Keep at it and try putting something inside the scales like a pencil to bow them and close the gap while you peen.

Keep peening. They have to be very tight to close the gap at the front.

This is what I should've said from the start, sorry I didn't fully read what you posted. I see that you mention there was no gap before when using bolt and nut, so its just a matter of peening until everything is tight.

This may sound stupid. is there a point in which the pin will stop mushrooming? It seems that it has stopped tightening. Is it possible that the pin was slightly too long?

Its possible it was too long, but even then I believe it will eventually tighten up if you continue peening it. The final look may not be what you were hoping for however.

Top Bottom