What's new

Think gillette will ever re-release old razors?

Well the Sensor cartridge was re-tweaked to become the Sensor 3, and the handle is now the Vector 3....

I asked the same thing on a thread.. One of the guys brought up a good point - Big Bad Gillette starts making DE's and the other companies start going away.

I doubt they will, because there wouldn't be enough money in it. There's too many companies making DE blades these days, they won't have a near-monopoly on them the way they do cartridges. They would also see it as cutting into the profits from their cartridge lines.

And let's face it, even if Gillette were to re-release some of the classics, they would just be over-priced cheap imitations. It would be too expensive to produce them at the same quality of the old ones. You'd probably get better quality for less with something like a cheap China razor.

I think once the great and mighty Mach 26 uses the last of our nuclear stockpiles, they may move back to a single bladed DE. Maybe....

I believe DE shaving will continue to appeal to a minority of shavers, and will likely shrink over time. We might be past the peak now in fact. Hardly enough to get Gillette back into that end of the business.

I doubt it...too much money to be made with disposable cartridges. It's the shaving-equivalent of selling a cheap printer (sometimes at a loss) and then making a ton of money on the proprietary consumables.

We all know that "DE + blade" is much cheaper in the long run than cartridge system. However, it's difficult to overcome Gillette's marketing power.

There's too many companies making DE blades these days, they won't have a near-monopoly on them the way they do cartridges. They would also see it as cutting into the profits from their cartridge lines.
I think you will find that Gillete is the largest DE blade manufacturer with it joint ventures - Petersburg Products International and Flying Eagle Shanghai, with Vidyut Metallics and Maholtra being large producers in India.

I believe DE shaving will continue to appeal to a minority of shavers, and will likely shrink over time. We might be past the peak now in fact. Hardly enough to get Gillette back into that end of the business.

I read this forum and a few others and I notice a steady supply of 20-somethings and 30-somethigs who (re-)discover wet shaving. I think there is still hope. and I do not mind being part of a niche market. As long as people will be crazy enough to join wet shaving forums, there will be money to earn on wet shaving. It will not be enough for Gillette to be interesting, but I do not particularly mind.

Someone had a good point in another thread: The patents are up on the old Gillette designs. It's in their best interests to push newer stuff they own the patents on. I would think the suits that only see dollar signs would never head backwards, especially with respect to quality.

EDIT: After thinking about it, any suit with half his/her wits would never support Gillette producing new DE razors. They could never do it with past quality, at an affordable price point for common folks. To head in that direction would just mar the Gillette name. They'd be better off trying to advertise the Gillette vintage market(eBay-ers paying $395 for a fat boy or $995+ for a toggle) and riding on the reputation. As long as that's happening, lesser informed consumers will trust the Gillette name for other items to a certain extent, such as buying a can of Gillette Foamy Goo and a Good News disposable in the shaving aisle at Wally World when they're on vacation and in a pinch after the airline lost their luggage.

Last edited:
I doubt they will, because there wouldn't be enough money in it. There's too many companies making DE blades these days, they won't have a near-monopoly on them the way they do cartridges. They would also see it as cutting into the profits from their cartridge lines.

Only exception would be a slight possibly a limited release of high end razors(maybe a toggle or fatboy copy) priced at something stupid like $500+. So anyone hoping for brand new $20 Gillette DE’s is really going to be out of luck. Still I highly doubt they will go DE again because of the reasons in above posters comments but also the attention they might draw. Gillette does not want anyone else to notice the cheap price of DE blades compared to their carts. First rule of carts…never talk about DE’s.:wink2:

I seriously doubt it... cartridges = cash!
Far too late to go back.

$IMG_0263.JPG

Short answer: NO.
Long answer: [expletive of choice] NO.
Really long answer:
With all of the various gimmicks and gadgets that Gillette has made their customers waste money on, it would sully their brand name and brand reputation to re-release vintage-style (or, if they can dig up the old schematics and remake them) safety razors, since they would essentially be saying, "Hey, we need another way to fleece our customers, and we can only add so many blades to a cartridge before people start rebelling."

Plus, there is the money aspect. Gillette is already selling arms to both sides, with their Gillette Ultimate Nuclear Fusion Power Core Reactor and their various 7 O'clocks. If they DID re-release their safety razors, they would perhaps not want to jack up the price of their DE blades, because that would throw them straight into the maw of price competition with their competitors, who would simply need to keep their prices the same to knock Gillette off the throne. In order to keep their profits at their current levels, they would need to significantly raise the price of DE blades if they decided to bring that horse out of the stable.

Someone had a good point in another thread: The patents are up on the old Gillette designs. It's in their best interests to push newer stuff they own the patents on. I would think the suits that only see dollar signs would never head backwards, especially with respect to quality.

I don’t think this is true, but a couple of things would need to happen for them to change course.
1. This ‘niche’ market continues to grow. Especially if $ for carts continues goes up and there‘s no reason to believe it will not. If there is a market they will come.
2. Some ‘event’ that gets the attention of pop culture masses. Like some Hollywood star talking about their ‘discovery’ of DE shaving and it become the “new thing”.
Those two things on the right scale will bring about the NEW Gillette inferior DE razor(made in china) to the masses. A cheap copy of a classic. I will dub it now the ‘Gillette Weishi‘… only at 4 times the cost…

Top Bottom