What's new

A bit o' eye candy

I picked this up at an antique shop recently. Then I sent it off to my Honemeister Extraordinnaire who is "itswid" here on B&B. Upon its return have enjoyed many a smooth shave thanks to Rick's honing ability. It is a 7/8ths spike point Halfmann Solingen Special according to the scales. The backside of the tang (not pictured) is stamped "Ia Silberstahl Garant..." (worn down and unintelligible.)

Interestingly the face of the blade is etched, "Solinger (not Solingen) Wertarbeit." The word Wertarbeit translates Workmanship. So, Solinger Workmanship which is highly regarded. I did not get a deal on it but paid what I believed was a fair price for its width, condition but what sold me was the spine. Check out the vertical engraving in the third picture. This appears on both edges of the spine, there is only one edge shown in the third picture.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I picked this up at an antique shop recently. Then I sent it off to my Honemeister Extraordinnaire who is "itswid" here on B&B. Upon its return have enjoyed many a smooth shave thanks to Rick's honing ability. It is a 7/8ths spike point Halfmann Solingen Special according to the scales. The backside of the tang (not pictured) is stamped "Ia Silberstahl Garant..." (worn down and unintelligible.)

Interestingly the face of the blade is etched, "Solinger (not Solingen) Wertarbeit." The word Wertarbeit translates Workmanship. So, Solinger Workmanship which is highly regarded. I did not get a deal on it but paid what I believed was a fair price for its width, condition but what sold me was the spine. Check out the vertical engraving in the third picture. This appears on both edges of the spine, there is only one edge shown in the third picture.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a nice one.. It says solinger because it's not referring to the area but the people who are making it... Like Ich bin ein Berliner ;-)

Top Bottom