What's new

Please Help With Local Find

It is getting very difficult to find razors at local antique dealers in my area. Low supply and high demand means they go out the doors pretty quick after arriving at the stores. I have finally got one dealer that I have been trying to build a relationship with, move me to the top of their call list. So far this month I picked up a pre-war Tech and a '46 Milord w/end caps. I got a call today that they had just got in another double edge razor, so I went out immediately to check it out.

Here is what I came home with. I have seen these before here on the forum and on the bay but I can't remember what they are. (This is occurring more and more in my old age) :confused1 It has one broken tooth and a manufacturing anomaly where the gap between one end tooth and it's adjoining tooth is shorter than all the others. I got it for $15.00, probably could have got it for less but I am still building that relationship. I will be the first one called when the next one comes in. :thumbup:

$DSC00247.jpg$DSC00248.jpg$DSC00249.jpg$DSC00250.jpg

Very, very good price for a Grand Shave King!!! They aren't really rare, but rather uncommon as they do pop up every so often. They are generally very, very mild. I'm still trying to find a blade that will work well with mine and give me better results than I have gotten so far. Congrats on your find!

Well? How was the shave with the King?

The shave went well. Not as good in the difficult areas as my other rotation razors but a comfortable DFS in 2 passes. I did manage to get a couple of small nicks due to some skin imperfections and rushing the shave more than I should have. I got a little bit over confident in the mildness of the "King". Very pleased with the results for the first time with it. The missing tooth presented no problem at all, so I am pleased to have added this to my collection. Next time I use the Grand Shave King I will attach it to a Weber Bulldog handle and take the time to learn the angle it likes best to get the best shave I can with it and not rush it like I did the first go round.

They are almost laughably mild. The handle is aluminum as well, BUT I will say grip and dimensions wise one of my favorite de handles I have encountered.

That's a cool looking razor and one I have not seen before. Thanks for the posting and to the others for the knowledge.

it's an amazing looking razor! Whenever the antique shops in my town get a vintage double edge razor they think that it has to be amazing, rare, and worth a lot of money. I've found about 8 different non gillette vintages, but minimum was 80 dollars. Good find!

Buyer beware buying one online just so you guys know. The grooved cap is prone to deforming into a sort of smile pattern. Do not over-tighten that.

Top Bottom