What's new

X100 vs X100s

Right quick question for y'all, I have been doing lots of reading and am interested in the Fuji X100 or the Fuji X100s.

Now money is an issue for me so.
Should I wait a while and save up for the X100s, or should I just buy a X100 used with the newest firmware?

The difference is about 600pounds.

I'm a photographer by trade and I never buy the latest offerings. They drop in price as soon as the next greatest comes out and the improvements are usually not that dramatic.

I'm a photographer by trade and I never buy the latest offerings. They drop in price as soon as the next greatest comes out and the improvements are usually not that dramatic.
The only thing that was meant to be a significant improvement was the auto focus and the buttons. But the recent firmware update apparently improved the AF of the old one.
I am leaning towards the X100 due to the massive price difference.

By all accounts I have read, the firmware update really kept the x100 in the running. I also do not buy brand new, though I am not a professional. I wait until prices come down and take advantage of the "Leica guy" and his desire to have the latest and greatest everything, offloading last year's equipment when something new comes out. Let someone else take the hit in depreciation.

-Xander

I always buy new, but I want the warrantee.
I have a good collection of glass, but for the bodies I'll buy whatever is the current $1500 offering. It usually has the same features as last year's $3000 body.

Legion

Staff member
I usually buy one generation old to save money. In this case I would not. The new sensor, the LMO software to correct for lens aberration, the stuff to help manual focussing... the list goes on and on.

Pay the extra on this one.

The old one was a very good camera. The new one is great.

Legion

Staff member
FWIW....

The only reason I would buy the old model is because it will be the collectable camera in twenty or thirty years. That thing was a game changer, in so many ways. If you want to speculate on a classic collectable, that thing will be worth a mint one day.

FWIW....

The only reason I would buy the old model is because it will be the collectable camera in twenty or thirty years. That thing was a game changer, in so many ways. If you want to speculate on a classic collectable, that thing will be worth a mint one day.

If I had the money I'd definitely buy both, alas I don't.
Looks like I will be saving up for a bit then. Cheers for the input.

Any fantastic must have accessories?
From what I have read a Thumbrest, Soft Release, and UV Filter seem like all you need.

Legion

Staff member
You don't even need those really. UV filter to protect the lens... Yeah, but then you need the expensive filter adaptor. Which you may want anyway for CP, and ND... Soft release, Thumbrest... I thought you wanted to save money?

Get a case or bag to keep it nice. A good memory card so you can shoot raw + jpeg fast. Anything else is luxury.

New or used? If you can get a x100s used in good condition, go nuts. But I don't see why someone would sell one until the new model if released. Unless it has a problem, or someone is debt collecting their thumbs.

Last edited:
You don't even need those really. UV filter to protect the lens... Yeah, but then you need the expensive filter adaptor. Which you may want anyway for CP, and ND... Soft release, Thumbrest... I thought you wanted to save money?

Get a case or bag to keep it nice. A good memory card so you can shoot raw + jpeg fast. Anything else is luxury.

The question was more curiosity than anything. The Thumbrest and Soft Release would be something down the line.
Third party adaptor with UV filter isn't too much, never had one before though.

Will keep it simple then. Now to save up the money.

To avoid creating another thread, what are your thoughts on the X20 compared to other cameras in that price range?

Legion

Staff member
To avoid creating another thread, what are your thoughts on the X20 compared to other cameras in that price range?

Nice. Same type of sensor as the higher end ones (although smaller, of course). And a decent sized optical viewfinder. That is almost unique these days in a compact. A mechanical zoom is nicer to use as well, I find.

Get two extra batteries!

Fuji do not put a chip in their batteries, so you are still able to use aftermarket ones, which are WAY cheaper. I use my genuine battery as my primary one, and keep the cheapies as the backups.

Top Bottom