What's new

What's your favorite boar brush?

I have discovered an affinity to boar brushes. As stated here, they work a lot better with my soaps. I don't have any complaints about the way they handle creams either. If nothing else, I would say that I have to load more than when I use the badger brush.

So, my question is: What is your favorite boar brush? I started with a VDH brush that cost me $8 at CVS. It has fallen apart but the bristles are so soft and it has fully bloomed. It looks a lot denser and thicker that other boar brushes I have seen or tried. Back to my question, I am looking for a bigger know type boar. Any ideas or suggestions?

As always, Thank you!

The Semogue SOC is commonly listed as the best boar available, but the new Cerda may accompany the SOC. The 830 from Semogue is also amazing.

I've only used a handful of different ones, but since getting a Bambino I've now a love for tiny brushes. No problem with it holding plenty and it beautifully whips up anything I use...
$IMAG1529.jpg

Semogue SOC and 620 are my two favorites, patiently waiting on a Cerda to see if can knock either out of the rotation.

I have several Semogues, 1305, 1460, the IB limited edition, and they are fantastic. Lately I'm finding I like using the Omega 49 even more though

I own the Semogue 620 and 2000 and they are wonderful brushes. Of course, the SOC gets nothing but love. There are quite a lot of Omega lovers as well. Imo, they're so cheap that you could easily buy a few and sell the ones you dislike on the B/S/T, if any :001_tt2:

I own the Semogue 620 and 2000 and they are wonderful brushes. Of course, the SOC gets nothing but love. There are quite a lot of Omega lovers as well. Imo, they're so cheap that you could easily buy a few and sell the ones you dislike on the B/S/T, if any :001_tt2:

Good advice, love the lagavulin 16 avatar!

For face lathering my favorite Boar, bar none, is the Vulfix 514 Hyde Park, @47/20 it had very good backbone with very soft tips right out of the box. The Boar Bristles were some of the thinnest I ever encountered and the dry time was comparable to Badger.

When I head lather, my favorite is Semogue 2000, the tips are soft and the big knot & bloom allows it to get the job done quickly.

Good advice, love the lagavulin 16 avatar!

:biggrin1: Thank you, thank you. I must say that google images is a much better photographer than me! It came out much better than any of my attempts... My bottle is much emptier, though :lol:

At the risk of derailing, I'll add in that you can always ask one of the artisans to personalize a boar for you. With a little research, you can get exactly what you want for more or less the same price. Just another consideration.

My blue B&B essential with the Omega knot was my first boar, and is still my favorite after now trying several others (Semogue 830, 1305 and 620, Omega 49). Probably because it is the most broken in, but the handle shape and size also has something to do with it.

I have lots of piggy brushes, but when all is said and done, I think it's my humble little Semogue 1250. Soft, good backbone, nicely shaped handle and the finished wood is nice and grippy, unlike my 1305.

Top Bottom