What's new

School me on aluminum block.

It's not aluminum. It's a substance with aluminum atoms bonded to other atoms. Table salt has chlorine atoms in it but it's not chlorine. Carbon is in sugar and in charcoal but neither are the same.

I understand this, I'm not unschooled in chemistry, it's the marketing I'm referring to that's all.

Sorry if I sounded preachy.

I think people are quick to jump onto pseudoscience bandwagons. The preoccupation with aluminum is one of those things, at least in my opinion.

That being said, it's better to be a little cautious than not with most things.

Sorry if I sounded preachy.

I think people are quick to jump onto pseudoscience bandwagons. The preoccupation with aluminum is one of those things, at least in my opinion.

That being said, it's better to be a little cautious than not with most things.

No problem I'm an engineer and also have a neuro science (Psych) degree so I tend to get a little excited when I see certain pseudo science claims. My current pet peeve is the junk science behind vaccines and Autism.I agree; however, that we need to be careful since you never know...

My current pet peeve is the junk science behind vaccines and Autism.I agree; however, that we need to be careful since you never know...

Funny how the non Autie's and Aspies seem to run this flag up the pole. You an Aspie ?

In reference to the Alum giving feedback, oh hell yes :w00t:. Its amazing how some shave areas of your face and neck can withstand different levels of blade passes. The Alum provides feedback like no other product can give.

Last edited:
Think we're going off topic here. Let's just leave this at:
1) Alum block is not the aluminum element but another substance that includes chemically bonded aluminum.
2) It appears to be reasonably safe in the manner it is used
3) Probably still not a good idea too eat it.
4) It's a good astringent, stops minor bleeding and is a pretty good indicator of where your shaving technique needs to be improved.
5) If you have doubts about it there are alternatives.

Think we're going off topic here. Let's just leave this at:
1) Alum block is not the aluminum element but another substance that includes chemically bonded aluminum.
2) It appears to be reasonably safe in the manner it is used
3) Probably still not a good idea too eat it.
4) It's a good astringent, stops minor bleeding and is a pretty good indicator of where your shaving technique needs to be improved.
5) If you have doubts about it there are alternatives.

I just bought one today in a health food store sold as a deodorant. It seems to be cheaper that way.

Ok here's the first lesson it's not an Aluminium block..that would be pointless to use on your face...LOL of course.

I find the alum block to be a nice piece of the tools box of shaving. Tightens the face and disinfects nicks and abrasions.

Used sparingly and correctly it helps me. Run it over the surface of freshly shaven skin. It provides feedback as to my technique, seals nicks etc and stops white cap pimple building on crease of my chin.

It works for me...give it a go.

Top Bottom