What's new

Proraso Green Aftershave BALM

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all of you for the information. I'm a dedicated Proraso soap and balm user (thanks to my Italian father-in-law). I recently picked up a tub of the Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter. I love it! To me, it's a true, earthy scent of sandalwood. I would love to see an accompanying balm for this soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The new commercials are certainly elegant and sophisticated, but they lack the whimsical, fun and down to earth elements of their earlier advertising.

Yep, true. What they greatly improved however is the formula of their great products and this probably represents one of the few cases where a reformulation goes for an improvement, rather than a deterioration in quality. Finally, after many years, no parabens, no mineral oils, no SLS and a natural-skin friendly formula which I find even slicker and more protective than the older. Another winning point from a marketing perspective, that made many loyal customers happy (me included:)), is the striking, beautiful vintage labelling and packaging on the entire line. Yes, they did it right!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all of you for the information. I'm a dedicated Proraso soap and balm user (thanks to my Italian father-in-law). I recently picked up a tub of the Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter. I love it! To me, it's a true, earthy scent of sandalwood. I would love to see an accompanying balm for this soap.

Well, it Italy there's nothing more "barbershoppy" than Proraso. :wink2: Is there in the US/Canada a similar barbershop line? I know of Pinaud Clubman, which is fantastic but it's only a line of aftershave lotions. What do the barbers use as a soap or cream?

Well, it Italy there's nothing more "barbershoppy" than Proraso. :wink2: Is there in the US/Canada a similar barbershop line? I know of Pinaud Clubman, which is fantastic but it's only a line of aftershave lotions. What do the barbers use as a soap or cream?

Off-hand, I can't think of many "old school" barbershop products. It's mostly imports; although, I've read great reviews about Crown Shaving products based out of Toronto, Canada.

My wife was born here, but her parents immigrated to Canada in the late 60's, along with many Italians. I use a variety of shave products, like most of us at B&B, but I use Proraso regularly and Aqua Velva splash. That's my standard summer combo. My wife loves to smell it because she says her father and his friends always smelled like Aqua Velva and she could always smell the Proraso shave cream while her father shaved in the morning. I personally think the Proraso Red is one of the best newer soaps around.

Marco...My apologies. I forgot to answer your question about local barbers. Where I live, the barbershops are either owned/run by Italian, Middle Eastern or West Indian/African Canadian. I've seen plenty of Proraso shaving cream, but for the most part, I've seen Turkish shaving products in the shops.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just got this info from a wet-shaving friend and want to share it with my B&B brothers: in Milano (North Italy) a bunch of die-hards (correct to call them so?) opened a new, vintage stile barbershop inspired by the Old School US barbershops of the 1930's. They, of course also use Proraso products among the others. It's called Bullfrog - Modern Electric Barber. Give a look here http://bullfrogmilano.blogspot.it/. Isn't it super cool? :euro:

In the USA, we have basically sold our collective soul to Gillette and Schick. I cannot think of an American old school barbershop line of grooming products that extends beyond basic aftershave. Only in the last few years have some companies tried to break-in with traditional shaving products. Except for the Art of Shaving and some British imports like Trufitt & Hill in the very high-end department staores, most of these attempts have been middling offerings from companies like Van Der Hagen and Every Man Jack. In fact, the ubiquitous Nivea for Men shaving cream for use with a brush that is easily available worldwide, only just began to appear in stores in the USA in the last couple of months. It's so new that it has not yet even appeared on Nivea for Men's website!

I just got this info from a wet-shaving friend and want to share it with my B&B brothers: in Milano (North Italy) a bunch of die-hards (correct to call them so?) opened a new, vintage stile barbershop inspired by the Old School US barbershops of the 1930's. They, of course also use Proraso products among the others. It's called Bullfrog - Modern Electric Barber. Give a look here http://bullfrogmilano.blogspot.it/. Isn't it super cool? :euro:

Very nice. In fact, Proraso was promoting them on its (rarely utilized) Facebook account.

By the way, great conversation in this thread. Thanks for everyone's input.

I don't use the green pre-shave as much anymore. I don't feel like it provides me with that added benefit of a pre-shave in my opinion. It does complete the green trifecta, so it's still on my shelf. Green is all I need :). Like Marco, hot water is all I need. As for shaving creams vs. soaps in general...creams all the way for me.

The Green line is my all-time favourite, too! I don't use the pre-shave cream, which is certainly good, but I simply don't use any pre-shave treatment at all - hot water is all I need. As about the Green cream Vs the Green soap they are actually the same product in different consistency, but I vastly prefer the cream over the soap. I'm a 99% soap user and particularly love the Italian soft soaps, but Proraso Green makes an exception for me. I love palm lathering the soft shaving cream, have it thicken in my hand and then apply it to face. Also, the metal tube looks better and more "Old School" to my eye. For finishing a Proraso Green shave I mostly use the Proraso splash, being a splash user. Occasionally, however, I like to use an Alum Block followed by a good balm. And the new Green balm is definitely good.

Wow, those prices are less than half what we pay here in the US!

Here are the average prices for Proraso products in Rome, on the shelf of most supermarkets:

Pre-shave cream: €3.80/€4.00

Shaving cream in metal tube: €1.80/€2.00

Shaving soap in plastic bowl: €1.70/€1.90

Aftershave splash: €4.20/€4.60

Aftershave balm: €4.80/€5.40

My friends, these pics were taken in low light conditions and I had to make some post production work to make them usable. The real colours are brighter and the stripes on the package and the bottle are White and Green (the actual colours of the Geen line).
View attachment 438602
For anyone in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, this is available at Fruiterie Milano on Blvd St-Laurent in Little Italy.

For anyone in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, this is available at Fruiterie Milano on Blvd St-Laurent in Little Italy.

That's good news. If the Green balm has left its native shores, it cannot be too long before it appears by me in Manhattan, or at least with European vendors.

Also, welcome to B&B!

Very good news! I'll be eagerly waiting for it! I need the green balm and the travel size green soap to round out my Proraso green collection :)

That's good news. If the Green balm has left its native shores, it cannot be too long before it appears by me in Manhattan, or at least with European vendors.

Also, welcome to B&B!

Marco, thanks for this valuable information. A co-worker is traveling to Italy in late May and she said she would bring me back some Proraso. Now I've got my budget worked out, so thank you good sir!

Jasonb, I use the Crown Shaving pre-shave gel and I really like it. Haven't tried anything else of theirs.

Marco, thanks for this valuable information. A co-worker is traveling to Italy in late May and she said she would bring me back some Proraso. Now I've got my budget worked out, so thank you good sir!

Jasonb, I use the Crown Shaving pre-shave gel and I really like it. Haven't tried anything else of theirs.

Thanks for that info. I was at Mens Essentials shop in Toronto a few weeks ago and smelled their aftershave balm and splash/tonic. Both are supposed to be very high quality.

I contacted Proraso via the online contact form asking when the new green balm would be available in the US. Stefania Martelli responded to my inquiry...

Dear Adam,
thanks for contacting us.

I regret saying that the product you mentioned will be available in the USA next year only.
I apologise.

Best regards

Stefania Martelli

Very disappointing that us folks in the USA will have to wait until next year. Our only hope is that the Italianbarber.com gets it in stock sooner.

I contacted Proraso via the online contact form asking when the new green balm would be available in the US. Stefania Martelli responded to my inquiry...

Dear Adam,
thanks for contacting us.

I regret saying that the product you mentioned will be available in the USA next year only.
I apologise.

Best regards

Stefania Martelli

Very disappointing that us folks in the USA will have to wait until next year. Our only hope is that the Italianbarber.com gets it in stock sooner.

That response is better than the one I received which basically stated that the Green balm will only be released in Italy, at least for now.

Nevertheless, from past experience, Stefania's email about product availability in the USA generally refers to when C.O. Bigelow, Proraso's American distributor, will carry the product (with any USA label alterations that may be necessary)

It is quite possible, even likely, that the Green balm will be available sooner from overseas vendors like Connaught or Shaving.ie, or even from Joe up in the Great White North, who I believe is the official Canadian distributor.

Of equal importance, when might we finally see a Blue or Yellow soap or Red aftershave, if ever.

See post #2 for C.O. Bigelow's response to my inquiry. Based on C.O. Bigelow and Stefania's responses, the new green balm is going to be released sometime next year in the US. One hasn't heard about the product and the mother ship knows all about it. Hey, at least their responses are in line :)

I'll keep an eye out for the green balm at the overseas vendors you mentioned and also over the boarder at the Italian Barber. Is the green balm shippable overseas? According to the ingredient label that Marco posted, the green balm has benzyl alcohol in it. Not denatured alcohol like the green splash, but alcohol nonetheless.

That response is better than the one I received which basically stated that the Green balm will only be released in Italy, at least for now.

Nevertheless, from past experience, Stefania's email about product availability in the USA generally refers to when C.O. Bigelow, Proraso's American distributor, will carry the product (with any USA label alterations that may be necessary)

It is quite possible, even likely, that the Green balm will be available sooner from overseas vendors like Connaught or Shaving.ie, or even from Joe up in the Great White North, who I believe is the official Canadian distributor.

Of equal importance, when might we finally see a Blue or Yellow soap or Red aftershave, if ever.

See post #2 for C.O. Bigelow's response to my inquiry. Based on C.O. Bigelow and Stefania's responses, the new green balm is going to be released sometime next year in the US. One hasn't heard about the product and the mother ship knows all about it. Hey, at least their responses are in line :)

I'll keep an eye out for the green balm at the overseas vendors you mentioned and also over the boarder at the Italian Barber. Is the green balm shippable overseas? According to the ingredient label that Marco posted, the green balm has benzyl alcohol in it. Not denatured alcohol like the green splash, but alcohol nonetheless.

C.O. Bigelow and Proraso in Italy never seem to be on the same page. They were no better when it came to the release of the Red soap. Luckily product performance is unrelated to public relations and business management.

To be honest, I totally forgot about the alcohol shipping issue overseas and have no idea if it will be a problem. Since Joe usually has some of the best prices and selection on Proraso products anyway, and ground shipping alcohol from Canada is not a problem (and IB usually ships from Niagara Falls in NY, regardless), let's hope he soon receives the Green balm!

Last edited:
This may sound ridiculous, but a green Proraso balm is the answer to all my wetshaving prayers. Let's hope they'll introduce it around the world sooner or later - it would be too sad if they didn't.

Good news. I emailed Joe at Italian Barber about the new green balm...

HI Adam,

Yes, we already ordered it a week ago. I saw it when I was in Italy a few weeks back.

I don't have an ETA at this time.

Warm regards,

Joseph

C.O. Bigelow and Proraso in Italy never seem to be on the same page. They were not better when it came to the release of the Red soap. Luckily product performance is unrelated to public relations and business management.

To be honest, I totally forgot about the alcohol shipping issue overseas and have no idea if it will be a problem. Since Joe usually has some of the best prices and selection on Proraso products anyway, and ground shipping alcohol from Canada is not a problem (and IB usually ships from Niagara Falls in NY, regardless), let's hope he soon receives the Green balm!

Top Bottom