What's new

Where to start with this?

About a month ago, I mentioned to my wife that I was interested in starting wet shaving with a DE safety razor. She got excited because it meant an end to my handlebar mustache and goatee. She never cared for it and had no qualms expressing her dislike about my facial hair. Fast forward to my birthday on Monday, and I get just about everything I need to begin wet shaving.

Here is is the list of what my starter kit consists of:

1956 3 Piece Gillette Tech razor - eBay
1966 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed -eBay
1974 Gillette Black Handle Super Adjustable "Super-109" "Black Beauty" -eBay

Safety Razor Stand - Stainless Steel - Holds 4 Razors - Regal Shave - eBay

Edwin Jagger DE89BL - Amazon (hasn't arrived yet)

Shavex Alum Block with Plastic Case - 125g - Amazon (hasn't arrived yet)

Edwin Jagger 9EJ946sds Handmade Imitation Ebony Best Badger Shaving Brush with Drip Stand, Black, Small - Amazon

Edwin Jagger Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl with Silver Rim - West Coast Shaving

Merkur Double Edge Razor Travel Case - West Coast Shaving

Double Edge Blade "Bank" - West Coast Shaving

DE Blade Sampler Pack, Everything - West Coast Shaving
Merker Super Platinum (10)
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10)
Crystal (10)
Derby Extra (5)
Wilkinson Sword (5)
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (5)
Astra Superior Platinum (5)
BIC Chrome Platinum (5)
Dorco Platinum ST-300 (10)
Dorco Platinum ST-301 (10)
Red Pack Israeli (5)
Lord Platinum (5)
Sharp (5)
Sharp Super Chrome (5)
Sharp Super Stainless (5)
Nacet Stainless (5)
Super-Max Stainless (10)

Shaving Cream Samplers - Maggard Razors
TOBS Almond
TOBS Grapefruit
TOBS Avacado
TOBS Lavender
TOBS Jermyn St
TOBS Eton College
TOBS Sandalwood
TOBS Lemon/Lime
TOBS St James
TOBS Mr Taylor
TOBS Coconut
TOBS Rose
Geo F Trumpers Rose
Geo F Trumpers Violet
Geo F Trumpers Coconut
Geo F Trumpers Almond
Geo F Trumpers Lime
Geo F Trumpers Sandalwood
Geo F Trumpers GFT
Geo F Trumpers Spanish Leather
Geo F Trumpers Eucris
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera
Palmolive Refreshing Menthol
Palmolive Classic
Gillette Sensitive Skin
Cella
Musgo Real Classic
Musgo Real Orange Amber
Musgo Real Oak Moss
Musgo Real Lime Basil
Musgo Real Lavender
La Toja
Taconic Bay Rum
Taconic Eucalyptus Mint
Taconic Lime
Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus
Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E
Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter
Proraso Green Tea and Oat for Sensitive Skin
LA Shaving Soap Co Santa Monica Bay Rum
LA Shaving Soap Co Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint
LA Shaving Soap Co Woody Lavender
LA Shaving Soap Co Topanga Fougere
LA Shaving Soap Co Bespoke #1

Every Man Jack Face Scrub and Pre-Shave - Walmart
Every Man Jack Shave Cream - Walmart
Every Man Jack Face Lotion and Post-Shave - Walmart

Clubman Pinaud Jumbo Styptic Pencil - Walmart

Now I am a little overwhelmed with choices and don't know where to start. What would you start with? What am I missing? I am starting by washing the brush in Dawn and then leave over night in lather. And try to clean up the eBay razors with Scrubbing Bubbles, rubbing alcohol and maybe some polish. I am still a little reluctant to begin this self exploration into facial mutilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one heck of a nice starter set. Start with whatever calls your name. You've got a long, pleasant journey ahead. No need to rush it.

Welcome to B&B! You've got some great stuff. You could argue that you have too much, making it harder for you to know what works and what doesn't. Make sure to watch the videos on YouTube from Mantic59 before shaving. Also check out the Shavewiki, there is lots of good information there. From your list, I would use the Tech, Astra SP and Proraso green. Those should give you an excellent shave. Good luck!

Lots of good stuff there. My limited experience advice would be to at least start with a good blade that tends to work well for large percentage of people, like maybe the Astras. They may not be the best blade for you with the razors you have, but they have a good chance to at least produce a good shave and they are reasonably forgiving.

I'd also recommend using the alum block as the first after shave treatment. I really love the way my skin feels after using the alum block!

Holy cow. Now THAT'S a starter kit! I had much less stuff to start out with, but I wouldn't change a thing.
If I were you, I'd practice lathering up whatever soap you don't like the smell of. I still sit in the living room watching TV while swirling up a lather in my bowl. I'd start with the EJ DE89 once you get it, there could be some flaws in your older razors you might not realize till you load up a blade and put steel to flesh.
As far as blades are concerned, I'd use the Personnas (Israeli Red) and though I might get some flak from the other guys, I thought Derby's were pretty forgiving.

Good luck, man, I hope you have lots of fun with your new hobby!

Be safe!

Holy cow. Now THAT'S a starter kit! I had much less stuff to start out with, but I wouldn't change a thing.
If I were you, I'd practice lathering up whatever soap you don't like the smell of. I still sit in the living room watching TV while swirling up a lather in my bowl. I'd start with the EJ DE89 once you get it, there could be some flaws in your older razors you might not realize till you load up a blade and put steel to flesh.
As far as blades are concerned, I'd use the Personnas (Israeli Red) and though I might get some flak from the other guys, I thought Derby's were pretty forgiving.

Good luck, man, I hope you have lots of fun with your new hobby!

Be safe!

Practice lathers will definitely help you perfect your shave more quickly.

The Shaving Acquisition Disorders are strong with this one . . .

That's one heck of a starter kit! Enjoy, and welcome! I'd start with the EJ or the Super Adjustable on 2 or 3, Astra or Personna blades, and some Cella or TOBS.

:scared: I think that's the closest smiley I can find that describes the size of your starter kit! Good for you. As a fellow newb I can't offer much advice on all the products, but I can share my amazement. Have fun and let me know when you're ready to PIF the creams and soaps you end up hating!

o it looks like I will just be practicing lathering for a few days before the EJ and alum block comes in. And use my Mach 3 or Fusion with the later for those days. Do you suggest I start with a few days growth or from a day old shave? Also, would scrubbing bubbles mess up the black handle on the Super Adjustable? Thanks again on all the advice. I think I am going to like it here. But the wife did figure out how much it has all cost today, so I may not be getting anything else for a little while. But I was looking in the DIY thread and I saw a few things I want to make. And she also told me that her grandfather used to use safety razors and she is going to see if they still have any of his stuff.

Starter Kit??? That's a lifetime assortment. Good choices, all. Just pick something and dive in.

Definitely do some practice lathers. For me, started with 1 day old growth, although you may want to go for 2-3 so you can map your beard top see which way it grows, especially on your neck.

Scrubbing Bubbles - just avoid the kind with bleach in it. Regular formula is fine for the black paint, although I would not leave it on the painted portion too long. Fine for the nickel parts of your razor.

Let us know how it goes.

Wow. What a kit. Welcome. The videos from manticore and shave wiki really helped me a lot. Biggest advice I have is "don't rush, take your time with the shave".

Welcome to B&B and happy birthday!

I'm a big fan of LA shaving soap, and John is one heck of a nice guy too.

Oh and in case no one has said it yet.

$images (1).jpg

o it looks like I will just be practicing lathering for a few days before the EJ and alum block comes in. And use my Mach 3 or Fusion with the later for those days. Do you suggest I start with a few days growth or from a day old shave? Also, would scrubbing bubbles mess up the black handle on the Super Adjustable? Thanks again on all the advice. I think I am going to like it here. But the wife did figure out how much it has all cost today, so I may not be getting anything else for a little while. But I was looking in the DIY thread and I saw a few things I want to make. And she also told me that her grandfather used to use safety razors and she is going to see if they still have any of his stuff.

Wait, you have 3 other razors to use, just use them til the EJ gets here...... also, you can use scrubbing bubbles and toothbrush to clean the Super Adjustable, it wont hurt the black resin paint. Dont leave any chemicals sitting on it for a length of time, just quick on and off cleaning.

Top Bottom