What's new

1st month thoughts.

Well, here are my thoughts after my first month of traditional wet shaving. I bought a Merkur 38HD, a sample blade pack, a tub of Proraso white, a tube of Kiss My Face Mint shave cream, Semogue 1305 boar brush, Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel and a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Skin balm. I've been experimenting back and forth with various methods. After a "bloody" first week of almost giving up, they shaves have vastly improved.
After my first couple of frustrating weeks, I went back to my mach 3 for a couple of days to heal. I think I now have my prep and shave down, but there's still room for improvement. So, without further ado, here it goes. While in a hot shower and after washing my face, I rub a little of the KMF cream on my beard and let it sit while I finish my shower, and rinse when I'm finished. Then, I've been using a little Shave Secret oil from Walmart and mix the KMF and proraso and lather in a bowl and proceed with my shave.Thus far, I've really enjoyed the Astra blades. I'm still a little scared to try the Feathers yet. After a cold rinse, I apply the witch hazel, let it dry, then apply the Nivea, let it dry then apply a moisturizer with a little SPF. Wow! What a difference this has all made.
However, I must confess. On those morning when I've hit the snooze one too many times, I've done the same procedure with my Mach3 (GASP!!!) And, here are my thoughts, and y'all are free to disagree. I believe in my case that both the Merkur and Mach 3 give fantastic shaves. To be honest I sometimes use the mach3 in the shower and can get equally good results with it, but for me the real and only differences are 1, the cost, and 2, the pleasure of taking my time and enjoying the experience.
I'm sure I'll keep the Mach 3 for those occasional quick shaves, but I'm really glad I've stuck with the Merkur. I hope this is of some help for you guys that are about to give up. It gets better, much better after some time, patience and a little practice.

Last edited:
I have my vibrating Gillette Fusion still sitting in my shower. I haven't used it since I started DE shaving a few months ago, but I think about it occasionally. I just enjoy DE shaving so much I never want to lose a day to experiment. I want to compare now that I'm used to DE shaving, I just don't want to sacrifice the chance for a DE shave in order to do it :)

But I pretty much had to shave in the shower with that razor to get a good shave. For DE shaving I'm using the Merkur HD. So far I love it. I was concerned that the handle might be too short but it turns out I love it. It makes switching sides really easy, and I always choked up to the top of the cartridge razors anyway...

Of the blade sample pack I bought the Astra's are my favorites so far as well. I tried a feather for the first time today and it felt great while I shaved, but I did get a little razor burn afterwards. I'm sure with more time refining the technique I would get great shaves with them, but with the price difference I think when I buy in bulk I'm going to get the Astras.

I think I've shaved with my mach 3 once since starting wet shaving and I agree when I apply the techniques I've learned using a DE I get a great shave with my cart razor. That being said, I enjoy shaving with my DE more than my cart.

Well, here are my thoughts after my first month of traditional wet shaving. I bought a Merkur 38HD, a sample blade pack, a tub of Proraso white, a tube of Kiss My Face Mint shave cream, Semogue 1305 boar brush, Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel and a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Skin balm. I've been experimenting back and forth with various methods. After a "bloody" first week of almost giving up, they shaves have vastly improved.
After my first couple of frustrating weeks, I went back to my mach 3 for a couple of days to heal. I think I now have my prep and shave down, but there's still room for improvement. So, without further ado, here it goes. While in a hot shower and after washing my face, I rub a little of the KMF cream on my beard and let it sit while I finish my shower, and rinse when I'm finished. Then, I've been using a little Shave Secret oil from Walmart and mix the KMF and proraso and lather in a bowl and proceed with my shave.Thus far, I've really enjoyed the Astra blades. I'm still a little scared to try the Feathers yet. After a cold rinse, I apply the witch hazel, let it dry, then apply the Nivea, let it dry then apply a moisturizer with a little SPF. Wow! What a difference this has all made.
However, I must confess. On those morning when I've hit the snooze one too many times, I've done the same procedure with my Mach3 (GASP!!!) And, here are my thoughts, and y'all are free to disagree. I believe in my case that both the Merkur and Mach 3 give fantastic shaves. To be honest I sometimes use the mach3 in the shower and can get equally good results with it, but for me the real and only differences are 1, the cost, and 2, the pleasure of taking my time and enjoying the experience.
I'm sure I'll keep the Mach 3 for those occasional quick shaves, but I'm really glad I've stuck with the Merkur. I hope this is of some help for you guys that are about to give up. It gets better, much better after some time, patience and a little practice.
Congrats, i too use a Fusion or Mach as a quickie emergency just get of top beard growth and get out shave.......not daily though.

The funny thing is with the cartridge razors I always kept two of them in the shower. One with a good blade I used for every day shaving. The other one had an older blade that I used if I hadn't shaved for more than a day.

With the cartridges if I had not shaved in over a day I was going to get a bad shave no matter what, but my whiskers would tear up the cartridge and turn it into a bad blade QUICK if I had a longer beard growth. Since the cartridges cost so much I wasn't willing to ruin the cartridge with a longer whisker.

With the DE a few days growth doesn't change my shave significantly, and even if it tore up the razor blade it only costs cents to change it!

I haven't used a cartridge at all since I started DE shaving and have now shaved twice with a straight. I think that if I were behind on time I could use a Merkur 1904 in a hurry and be okay. That's just me. YMMV and whatever works for you, go for it!

BTW, congrats on getting your technique down after that first week. :thumbup:

I have not used a cart since making the switch about 3 1/2 months ago. I still have several unused cart blades and I need to give them away or to my teen son, although I want to get him into DE also.

Glad to hear that your experience is building.

Top Bottom