What's new

Just got my 2014 Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond Knurled Handle

I am a huge fan of my Edwin Jagger DE89BA11-BL (Barley Handle) and when I saw they released this new 3D Laser Diamond Handle (DE3D14BL) I had to have it. While I never dropped my barley handle it at times has felt a little slick with soap on my hands. So I received it in the mail and here is some info and comparison. When handling the two I wasn't sure but it felt like the new one was slightly lighter. So I broke out the scale.

DE3D14BL (3D Handle)
Head Weight: 29g
Handle Weight: 40g
Total Weight: 69g

DE89BA11-BL (Barley Handle)
Handle Weight: 46g
Total Weight: 75g

The new handle is 6g lighter. Obviously the heads are identical. Not anything significant but it is barely noticeable with handling. As for a weight comparison to some other popular razors.

Merkur 23c
Head Weight: 27g
Handle Weight: 32g
Total Weight: 59g

Muhle R89 GRANDE
Handle Weight: 61g
Total Weight: 90g

On to Texture. The texture of the new handle is absolutely superb. It is more grippy but the finish is so smooth that it is not rough. I always liked the Merkur because the knurling is very good but the Merkur has a slightly rough and unpolished feel to it. This new 3D handle has more grip and more refinement.

In order of most grip to least:

DE3D14BL (3D Handle)
Merkur 23c
Muhle R89 GRANDE
DE89BA11-BL (Barley Handle)

Absolutely love this razor. I am just really really hoping they release a long version of it. That would be my ideal closed comb razor. Anyway here are some pics.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397841990.138627.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397841999.744631.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397842009.914103.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397842017.437467.jpg

Now. If EJ would just allow US the end user to be able to customize one via online. I know it's doable. That would be so cool. Congrats on you newest!

Great looking razor. I am not sure redundant applies to the shaving community. :001_tt2: None of us need more than one but the majority have more than one. Where did you order it from. One of those might just be my next purchase.

That's a gorgeous handle.

I already own the barley handle, so I really can't justify spending almost $60 on a razor with an identical head and near identical handle.

I need to find a sugar mama to fund all hobbies

Great looking razor. I am not sure redundant applies to the shaving community. :001_tt2: None of us need more than one but the majority have more than one. Where did you order it from. One of those might just be my next purchase.

Maggards Razors. Super fast shipping and a great place to deal with.

$razor.png

Here's the 3D black version. I switched to this one from EJ DE86 Rubberised handle. It's slightly lighter than EJ86 but the handle feels much better. Hopefully, it'll last longer. The rubber on DE86 got scratched.

Hi there I'm new to wet shaving and am looking at purchasing my first razor. Almost pulled the trigger on a lined DE89 but then realized that there is also knurled, barley and apparently the 3D knurled one you have. What razor is which in your comparison pic? And if you have any more pics that would be great

Top Bottom