What's new

Long-term dress shoe storage

So, I just finished an internship at an accounting firm that I won't start working full time at till next summer. I've got grad school for the next year so my dress shoes will rarely be worn. My question, what is the best way to store dress shoes for an extended, unused period, or is shoe trees in the closet enough? My only thought is that the leather may dry out if not worn or polished on a regular basis. Thoughts?

Wooden shoe trees are the best and yes, a periodic buffing is a good idea. If you have not polished them in a while, please do so before putting them away.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Clean, polish, shoe trees ... and into the closet they go.

Then, forget about them.

When they come out for use, a coat of Saphir Renovateur and then a shine, and they are ready to go.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I clean, apply polish, but do not buff. When they get back in use, they will be buffed with a horsehair brush, and if needed, fresh polish applied.
I have a walk-in closet in my basement with controlled humidity, and the shoes are on a shelf with trees in them. The oldest pair is about 20 years old.

all the above is correct, allow me to add a couple of options...

if you have the flannel bags, store them in there.

if not but you have the shoe boxes store them in there with the tissue paper wrapped around so the shoe are not touching....

if you don't have shoe boxes, the container store sells a plastic shoe box for under $3....

last but not least if you have several pair, arrange them in a circle on your kitchen table, they make a great centerpiece and maybe your SWMBO will keep them dusted off for you....

It depends entirely upon what size and brand they are. If they are Allen Edmonds or Alden in 9D, the best option is to post them to me for storage. If they are another size, follow the fantastic advice above.

and if they're really going to sit for up to a year, I'd say covered or wrapped in a cloth to keep dust off/out of them. this is what a spit shine looks like after 14 years in the closet if you do it right:

$boot.jpg

It depends entirely upon what size and brand they are. If they are Allen Edmonds or Alden in 9D, the best option is to post them to me for storage. If they are another size, follow the fantastic advice above.

Oh I agree, they should be periodically walked in...and if they are 9.5D...forward them to me for safe keeping in the same brands and a few others, too.

I think a periodic buffing is a good idea....
proxy.php
However, I have to recommend not storing your suits in plastic. Fabrics need to breath, In addition, some plastics will degrade over time, possibly off-gassing other chemicals which could cause staining on fabrics.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll polish them before storage. I do have the original boxes where they are normally kept and will make sure that there is tissue paper between the shoes so they are not touching.

Aloha,

I just clean, condition, polish and than into an old cotton pillowcase (one per shoe.) Same as for my wife's leather jacket.

Mahalo

Top Bottom