What's new

First Time with a Straight

Well, I finally attempted a partial shave with a straight. Many thanks to fellow B&B member totorlekiller for selling me the Wusthof-Trident 6/8 razor and the great advice.

I did a stropping on an Illinois 827 strop and completed one WTG pass on both cheeks and neck. I followed Lynn Abrams advice and finished the shave with a Gillette SA.

No nicks, cuts, nor blood!

I think for the time being I will stick with this pattern until I get more comfortable with all of this, especially shaving with my weak hand.

Anyway, thought I would crow a little bit. A very interesting and focusing process!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to the dark side (aka the "fun" side) of shaving!

WTG is the way to go when starting out for sure. Be sure to start a journal to track your progress, as well as receive lots of uber-helpful tips and such from thegood folks over here. Plus, that way, we'll get to discover when you learn what a tragus is :lol:

Congratulations! I think that the most important part of your first shave with a straight is being alive to tell us how it went.

I do two passes plus touch-up.

right on and congrats. the best way to get good at it is to do it. meaningful repitition builds the muscle memory.

I do a two pass, WTG/XTG, XTG/ATG, then touch up over/under my jawline. you'll figure out what you need. I've never done an ATG on my upper lip, never will.

number of pass is 2 in the easy spots, like the cheeks.
Throat is typically 2 plus diagonal clean up in some areas.
Chin: hard to count. many little passes to get around all the angles.

And congratulation on getting starting. I hope that Trident work out well for you. It is a nice razor. I like the feel of the metal in that 1/2 hollow grind.

Congrats. IMO there are few things more pleasurable in life than mastering the art of shaving with a big piece of steel. It is a true skill.

Top Bottom