What's new

So much for the bottom dropping out on Ebay. Gillette Bottom Dial

Wow. That's simply breathtaking. Rare items in any collectable field always command a premium and the better the condition, the higher the premium. I would not judge the overall market based on a high-end item.

Meh,
Bottom dials are not as unique as Toggles. You have several other choices that's available to you if your looking for that uniqueness. The Red dot Fatboy has the same mechanism and barring the affordability of that, one can always buy a Toggle. So it's not like one has to buy that razor in order to experience it's shave. Its a Fatboy with a Toggle mechanics.

Last edited:
Meh,
Bottom dials are not as unique as Toggles. You have several other choices that's available to you if your looking for that uniqueness. The Red dot Fatboy has the sane mechanism and barring the affordability of that one can always buy a Toggle. So it's not like one has to buy that razor in order to experience it's shave. Its a Fatboy with a Toggle mechanics.

Couldn't have said it better. I feel it would be awkward holding it with the adjuster down near bottom and probably the reason it never made it to full scale production.

I'm sorry, are these actually in fact rare razors that are worth that much? Or were they mistakenly being bought for too much?

I dont believe the seller had two of them. The photos were identical. The original buyer probably didnt pay and it was relisted.

I thought the same thing at first but if you look close enough you can see differences. That and the buyer of that one left positive feedback for the seller.

Last edited:
Are there any rough ideas for production numbers of the bottom dial vs toggle vs common fatboy? I'm trying to understand the craze.

Well I guess the lack of response "speaks volumes" as the saying goes.

The only thing that can be done since we don't have production numbers from Gillette is to estimate the scarcity based on what we see being offered on ebay.

Common Fatboys - Whenever you look you can see thirty or more
Common Toggles - Whenever you look you can see three or four.
Red Dot Fatboys - One becomes available every month or two.
Nickle Toggles - One becomes available every four months or so.
Bottom dials - One becomes available every four months or so.
Serial Toggle - One becomes available every eight months or so.

This is just my take on it and could be inaccurate since I've only been watching ebay for about 2 years. Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
That helps. I do the same for Coleman Lamps and Lanterns on the 'bay and it's strange but has worked for me.

I feel those Numbers are way off on the scarcity scale. With all due respect!. Not sure where that math came from but.. I agree there has been a rash of Bottom dials and Gold Reg Production toggles.. But No.. there was a time when it was years for a Nickel toggle and even then, it was a big ? of a prelate. Then we saw the Mechanics of it and sure enough a re plate. Red dots another one, where a few show up in a given year and then nothing for a year or two. Very rarely of any of the mentioned razors are NOS. Other than the Lowest documented serial toggle last month minty with matching serial number warranty card,.. I have not seen a serial toggle since 2010 and i mean a true serial toggle. I could be wrong on my long term memory but i think i am close anyway. I think i have only seen 4 total serial toggles in the last 5 yrs. yes common fatboys and toggles all day long is correct. LB.

The only thing that can be done since we don't have production numbers from Gillette is to estimate the scarcity based on what we see being offered on ebay.

Common Fatboys - Whenever you look you can see thirty or more
Common Toggles - Whenever you look you can see three or four.
Red Dot Fatboys - One becomes available every month or two.
Nickle Toggles - One becomes available every four months or so.
Bottom dials - One becomes available every four months or so.
Serial Toggle - One becomes available every eight months or so.

This is just my take on it and could be inaccurate since I've only been watching ebay for about 2 years. Any comments would be appreciated.

Way off. Double the last 4 and it's more accurate.

Top Bottom