What's new

AOS Shave Oil Ruined My Brush

OK I did a noob move and used Art of Shaving oil with my badger brush and it gunked it all up to point of not being good.

Amazed P&G did not personally inform me not to do this , is there any recourse for me and brush ?

How much shave oil did you use? I haven't had any issue with the AoS oil clogging my brush at all.

How much shave oil did you use? I haven't had any issue with the AoS oil clogging my brush at all.

I should probably let OP answer, but it sounds like he used the brush to apply the oil, instead of applying by hand, and then using the brush to lather and apply the cream.

I've used shampoo on my brush once already (not 2-in-1). A light soak in Dawn should do wonders for removing the oil but I dunno how hair-safe that is.

As a further note, when using shave oil, only use a tiny amount. As in, a couple drops to a wet face. Then rub it in, and splash some water over it again. I find I get the best results that way, and you can even face lather afterwards.

One thing to note. After using dish soap or shampoo it is definitely worth using some conditioner on your brush.

NOOOOOOO! Don't ever use conditioner on a brush.
Try Dawn dish soap. It works wonders on getting oil out of natural fibers. 99 out of 100 wildlife caught in a oil slick agree!

The pre shave oil tells you to apply a small amount it by hand.

$pre shave oil.jpg

Not sure if you're just kidding around...... but it is okay to use conditioner on a brush (for the sake of the guy's who might take you seriously :wink2: ).

Ben

I have used conditioner on a brush but probably will not again. When a brush is new, it doesn't absorb water as well as it will after several uses. Indeed, it seems to actually repel water at first. Pre-soaking a brush for a few minutes before use somewhat helps this. Using conditioner seems to restore this water repelling quality for a few uses.

Anyway, that seems to be what happens to me.

Would you define okay? My experience is conditioner impedes the brush hairs ability to absorb water and thus how the brush performed.

I have used hair conditioner on my new and old brushes for many years.

I place the brush under running warm water. When thoroughly wet I take a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid soap and gently rub it into the brush. I then rinse the brush under running water and then soak the brush for a minute in a container filled with clear water. I apply a little bit of hair conditioner to soften the bristles of a new brush. I then rinse again under warm running water. I shake the brush to get rid of excess water. I then take a cup or container and fill it with one ounce of white vinegar, a few drops of liquid glycerin, and warm water. I stir the mixture and put the brush in the liquid using a pumping motion. I soak the brush for about two or three minutes. I take the brush out of the mixture, rinse again under running water, shake out the water, and twirl it around a towel to dry.

Perhaps the final mixture of vinegar, glycerin, and warm water makes the difference but my brushes have no problem holding water.

no but I will be back there right after Passover and let them know I voiced my disgust on the Badger forum

that will show them

The only reason to go back & complain would be if they told you to how to apply the pre-shave, and/ or the amount of pre-shave to apply which caused this minor inconvenience, easily repaired by cleaning. If you didn't ask, or was offered advice, just chalk it up to experience, and in the future... read the directions or ask for help here.

no but I will be back there right after Passover and let them know I voiced my disgust on the Badger forum

that will show them

They won't care.

They will probably tell you the same thing about "That badger forum" that we tell people about AoS employees... "Don't pay attention to them, they don't know what they are talking about"

Top Bottom