What's new

Help I'm a newbie looking to upgrade my shave

I'm a newbie looking to upgrade my shave without breaking the bank. I have been shaving for the past 30 years. In my 30 years of shaving I have used all the different kinds of can goo and several different cartridge razors. I switched to a Gillette Fusion Proglide and thought I was getting a pretty good shave then my shaves started to get worse with irritation and keep getting worse plus the price of cartridges keep increasing getting ridiculously out of hand. Wanting to get a good quality shave without irritation I started to search the internet and found wet shaving. I have found mantic59 have subcribed to his youtube channel watched all his videoes and I also read his sharpologist blog. I have also found geofatboy and others on youtube subscribe to their channels and watch their videos. Since learning about wet shaving I have been using Nivea Men Energy Face Scrub, switched from can goo to Van Der Hagen Luxury Scented shave soap, a cheap Van Der Hagen boar brush and use Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. I still use a Gillette Fusion Proglide but I am looking to upgrade to my very first D E Safety Razor better soap and brush. I am looking to buy a D E Safety Razor that is not to mild or to aggressive and not to expensive since this is my very first D E Safety Razor. Which D E Safety Razor do you recommend that I buy as my very first DE Safety Razor? I have been thinking about buying the Micro Touch One at Walmart. Is the Micro Touch One worth buying or should I avoid buying it? I am also looking to upgrade from the Van Der Hagen boar brush to my first badger brush that is not to expensive. Which badger brush do you recommend that I buy? I am also looking for better shave soap than the Van Der Hagen shave soap one that is of good quality and not to expensive. Which shave soap that is not to expensive do you recommend? I thank everyone in advance for helping me decide on my first DE Safety Razor, better soap and brush.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's typically considered a great DERazor for beginners. You can also get an inexpensive, but good boar brush. I have an Omega 49 that cost less than $10 and a Semogue 2000 that cost less than $25. Finally, you can get Razorock, Cella or Proraso soap without breaking the bank. Good luck and enjoy!

I'm new too and started with Wilkinson sword soap on the blue container and switched to green proraso. The proviso is a couple bucks more but I find it more effective and good value

You could also go to the Stirling Soap website & pick up an inexpensive brush & razor, plus 2 or 3 shave soap samples & be set up for $15-20 tops. You could then get a bunch of blades to try from tryablade.com for a few more $. Maggard's also has complete starter sets that are reasonably priced.

In general, you should be able to find good values, and helpful customer service, on-line.

+1 to the EJ. Even after buying fatboys, slims, etc etc I still reach for my EJ Barley more often than any other razor. Something about it just screams modern classic and if you want it more aggressive you can easily shim it.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's typically considered a great DERazor for beginners. You can also get an inexpensive, but good boar brush. I have an Omega 49 that cost less than $10 and a Semogue 2000 that cost less than $25. Finally, you can get Razorock, Cella or Proraso soap without breaking the bank. Good luck and enjoy!

+1 Excellent post.

+1 here. I started my shave adventure late last year with almost exactly this setup -- EJ DE89 and Omega 48 ($10, IIRC).

Add a $3 latte mug/soup bowl with a handle from your local supermarket or Walmart, and you're set.

+1 on the EJ89. It was my first razor (tally is currently 4). I still use it regularly because it's consistently a close, easy shave. You can get one on Amazon for under $30 and it's much nicer than the One Touch at Walmart.

There are nice boar brushes under $20, but a nice badger likely won't be found for under $80.

If you want to try cream, Bath and Body Works sells CJ Bigelow, which is just rebranded Proraso, often on sale for buy 2 get 1 free.

Word to the wise from a fellow newbie. I bough the co Bigelow buy 2 get 1 free which was a pretty good deal, but now I've gOt the bug and will probably never make it through the first one! I've yet to get them yet but my shopping cart at stirling soaps is full of $2 samples just waiting for a simple click. I suspect at least one tube of Bigelow will end up as a PIF

Check out italianbarber.com for starter kits.

The EJ89 is the way to go. Great quality shavers. The Proraso tubs are nice. Proraso consistently lathers easily, provides good protection, and smells good. The tub is nice for easy cleanup. There is better out there, but it is a great product at a good price. For a brush, on the cheap, I'd suggest a good boar over a cheap badger -- a nice badger will run the price up significantly.

The Merkur 34C is a very good razor and the short and heavy handle makes you have good technique and not dig in.

All of the advice above was spot on too. Get a good artisan soap and keep trying blades until you find a couple you love.

+1 on this. I don't know who makes the Stirling razors, but they are best way to get into DE shaving for a song. Also, you can get 3-4 soap samples there that will last you about a month each.

High quality soap and great service.

You could also go to the Stirling Soap website & pick up an inexpensive brush & razor, plus 2 or 3 shave soap samples & be set up for $15-20 tops. You could then get a bunch of blades to try from tryablade.com for a few more $. Maggard's also has complete starter sets that are reasonably priced.

In general, you should be able to find good values, and helpful customer service, on-line.

For a beginner here are my recommendations.

Razors (In no order)

Edwin Jagger DE89. Super high quality. On the more expensive side but will be a razor you keep and don't necessarily need to upgrade. They have a bunch of handle options that make them go up in price but the shave will be the same. Plain chrome handle, lined handle, barley handle and a 3D diamond handle. I have 2 edwin jaggers myself.

Merkur 23c. Has a long handle and good knurling. A little light. Great starter razor.

Razorock Mission. Great razor. Great weight. Comes with a bunch of blades. Cheap at only $20.

Maggard Razors. Pick the handle you like. Cheap. About $15 to $20 each.

If you have the budget I would get a Edwin Jagger but the razorock is one of my favorites.

Brushes

Stick with boar for now. I would say

Omega Pro 49 or the Omega 31064. The Pro 49 is great and cheaper but is a little big and takes a little longer to break in. The 31064 comes pretty soft and is great right out of the box. The 31064 also includes a brush stand.

Creams/Soaps

Cheap and cant be beat prices are the proraso line.

I would stick with Blue for a first cream. Nice clean scent. The green has menthol and eucalyptus and is cooling. The white is very mild scent and the red is a strong sandalwood. You can find proraso green locally at bath and body works called CO Bigelow Shaving Cream.

Welcome to B&B

Get good tools to start with. Shaving is something you are going to do for the rest of your life. Don't start out with something you are not glad to see every morning. If you enjoy looking at your tools you will enjoy it when you put them to use.

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Top Bottom