What's new

Advise on a first (mild) SE razor

I'm looking to try out SE shaving but I'm not very familiar with the razors involved and I've heard that you can get a closer shave much easier with SE than with DE so I would like to give it a try. I'm looking for a first SE razor that would be considered fairly mild as I don't really need a very aggressive DE razor to get a decent shave.

What would your advise be for a good starter razor?

I've heard that the Gem G-Bar is relatively mild for a SE razor. I haven't tried it, though - I usually stick with my Gem 1912 Junior. Starting out, you can shave with the cap on your face, and then gradually lift the cap off for a 15-20 degree angle (and minimal pressure!!!).

I've heard that the Gem G-Bar is relatively mild for a SE razor. I haven't tried it, though - I usually stick with my Gem 1912 Junior. Starting out, you can shave with the cap on your face, and then gradually lift the cap off for a 15-20 degree angle (and minimal pressure!!!).

How aggressive do you find the 1912 with cap?

1912s are the best for SE beginners. They are universally inexpensive. And they are mild yet efficient while Gbar, featherweight, pushbutton alike are too mild for me.

Every Gem razor made from the G-bar on is relatively mild. But not Tech mild. However in my opinion the heavier ones shave better. So the G-bar, Flying Wing (bullet tip), and Pushbutton are better shavers than the Featherweight, Contour, etc.

The 1912/Junior 1912 are fairly aggressive razors but easy to learn, don't be scared of them... but beware of the shorthead 1912 if you dislike aggressive razors.

+1 on this. Good advice. All of the SE's are controllable. I own and have shaved with them all and have not found a wide variation in aggressiveness. Just my 2 cents.

Every Gem razor made from the G-bar on is relatively mild. But not Tech mild. However in my opinion the heavier ones shave better. So the G-bar, Flying Wing (bullet tip), and Pushbutton are better shavers than the Featherweight, Contour, etc.

The 1912/Junior 1912 are fairly aggressive razors but easy to learn, don't be scared of them... but beware of the shorthead 1912 if you dislike aggressive razors.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will start watching the Bay for some good deals. From what I've seen so far they are about half of a SS in price so it's inexpensive to try out two or three.

i have a 1912 and micromatic clogpruf and don't find either to be overly aggressive....they are also the only se razors i own (not counting my injector) and have found neither to be hard to control...quite the opposite really.

Flying wing or clog proof or push button or G-bar will be the mildest SE you can find.

All of them are rather efficient but theses 4 are in the lower end of mild.

Flying wing would be my top recommendation to you.

proxy.php

Thanks, Jochums and Turtle, I've seen a few clog proofs but thought I heard they were actually more aggressive, but now that I know I misunderstood I will definitely keep them on my watch list for buys.

My suggestion would be a Gem Push Button or Contour. For me the transition from mild DE's to the Push Button was quite easy but it proved to be more efficient. The contour is very similar. I also have a Feather Weight but I have some issues getting my technique down with that one.

A lot of great advice on this post. When I started using SE razors I couldn't decide which to try first mild moderately mild or aggressive. In the end I got just about every model made and I like them all. The Heavy Flat Top has a lot of great attributes it's built like a tank, it's handle will give you great grip, the closed comb bar, the razor has good weight and physically it is very elegant in design. Out of all the later mild SE razors IMO this is the best of the bunch. I liked the HFT so much that I bought two.

$Gem HFT Both 1.jpg

I'd just jump in with the 1912 ... any 1912.

I would be so bold as to say the 1912 is the de facto single edge shave around which all others, even other manufacturers, are compared against.

This should be your first and your benchmark.

Hmmm, I've tried a couple of SE in the past (G bar, OC Miromatic & a gold push button) and currently use a Cobra Classic (nice) I never got a decent shave and gave up on them except the CObra . But I've been longing to give the older style a go again. In the past hour or so I've bought this of the Bay, NOS , complete with five new blades, user instructions etc. Cost 7/6 which is 37.5 pence. I'm nor sure what model it is but for £10 inc postage I'm not too botherd if it works out for me or not. What is it guys? any good?

$Ever ready.jpg

It's a Featherweight, the 'Tech' of the GEM world. They'll shave, but you'll probably want a pack of Feather SE blades from Connaught. I've just had two days with my Contours, which are the same head. Perfectly good for daily shaving in two passes, for more days growth do a couple of WTG before your XTG pass.

The US gave up on the Ever Ready brand sometime in the '30s, so I'm guessing it's British. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Sweet. I'll start there then. As I say I use a Cobra Classic and love it aswell as a FATIP DE. I just couldnt get to grips with this style of SE. It is English and thanks for the info.

+1 on this. Good advice. All of the SE's are controllable. I own and have shaved with them all and have not found a wide variation in aggressiveness. Just my 2 cents.
+2
If your looking for one that's NOS or almost so the bullet tip micro-matics can be found from time to time.
Only one I would suggest you stay away from if your looking for a mild shave is the micro-matic open comb.
I prefer this model personally but that dog can bite.:a51:

It's a Featherweight, the 'Tech' of the GEM world. They'll shave, but you'll probably want a pack of Feather SE blades from Connaught. I've just had two days with my Contours, which are the same head. Perfectly good for daily shaving in two passes, for more days growth do a couple of WTG before your XTG pass.

The US gave up on the Ever Ready brand sometime in the '30s, so I'm guessing it's British. Enjoy.

The Featherweight is definitely different than a contour. The cap is flatter and less forgiving (in my hands). Mine does not hold the spineless Feather blades securely either.

Top Bottom